Big 9 Conference

bucdaddio

Here is the preseason coaches poll, with teams listed in order, 1st place votes in parentheses, and total points:

1. Science Hill (8) ..............80

2. Daniel Boone (1) ...........64

2. Tennessee ....................64

4. Dobyns-Bennett ............58

5. Sullivan South ...............44

6. Sullivan Central .............36

7. Sullivan East .................23

8. David Crockett ..............18

8. Volunteer ......................18

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll argue that the top three District 1 AA teams are as good or better than the top three AAA teams in District 1.

Are they better? No.

Are they just as good? Yes.

I have watched them in summer league, aau-type tournaments, team camps, and scrimmages, and I honestly think that you could take Unicoi Co. Science Hill, Elizabethton, Daniel Boone, Happy Valley, and Tennessee High, put them in a bag, and pull any two out and have an even matchup. Any of those teams could beat any of the others on a given night.

Let's face it, AAA and AA are size classifications. When you're pulling 50 or 60 football players, that can make a difference. When you're pulling 10-12 basketball players, it makes a lot less difference.

If I had to rank them right now, I would go Elizabethton #1, Unicoi #2, and South Greene #3 in AA. In AAA I would go Boone #1, Science Hill #2, and Tennessee High #3. It is very close in both divisions and any of the six could probably beat any of the others on a given night. I think the AA group has a better chance to advance deeper into the post season, but I have been wrong numerous times before. A very interesting match-up between Boone and Elizabethton this Friday.

Elizabethton looks good. Looked good at the Boone team camp, and looked good at Carson-Newman. JC Press though, had Unicoi 1st and Eliz. 2nd. I haven't seen Unicoi's full team play.

In AAA, I still gotta say SH #1, Boone #2, TN High #3. TN High has been looking pretty good this week, beating South Greene by 4, but I think maybe their post play is a bit suspect at this point.

Daddio, my daughters team has played Boone at home, S.H. at Carson Newman, Scrimmaged D.B. at home and THS in Bristol be careful with THS they were definetely the quickest team we have played and one of the guards did not get to play I think her name is Kita Jones or something like that. One post I think had 11 points and the other had 8 and a bigger girl had 6 off the bench. The other guard, Montgomery was unbelievable at times, she was in foul trouble early. I tried to get the other names from their poster but they were not wearing jerseys in the picture.

If anyone from THS reads this post how about putting jerseys on these girls so we can tell who was who.

Oh by the way I hope no one mind I took a poster. They were just laying there.

I needed a calander. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Here is the preseason coaches poll, with teams listed in order, 1st place votes in parentheses, and total points:

1. Science Hill (8) ..............80

2. Daniel Boone (1) ...........64

2. Tennessee ....................64

4. Dobyns-Bennett ............58

5. Sullivan South ...............44

6. Sullivan Central .............36

7. Sullivan East .................23

8. David Crockett ..............18

8. Volunteer ......................18

Looks like Tennessee High Surprised Everyone. Third Conference Championship in a row.

Looks like Tennessee High Surprised Everyone. Third Conference Championship in a row.

You've got that right vikingdad. Looks like they now have two signees going to colleges. :o I heard they just brought up another jv player to the varsity, Post player, that makes 7 all total. Their bench looks pretty good for next year and for the next few years. They seem to have a great feeder program coming in from Vance Middle. I look forward to seeing what they do in the next few years. Congrats goes to the signees, Tara Tranum & Ashton Kaylor. Good luck next year girls!

"Go Lady Vikings! and Congratulations for the Conference Win! Good luck in the Regionals next week!"

Edited by underclassparent