toughest team rules

red_nation

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morris is Milan's coach...

Satterfield is Trousdale County's coach...

I've been a football coach, but not a parent; however, I suspect that the key to discipline in both is not the kind of discipline but the CONSISTENCY of the discipline. Some parents have whipped their kids well and often--with good results, meaning well-behaved kids who grew up unwarped and ready to face life.

Others have used methods that never involved whipping and gotten equally good results. I played for a very strict high school coach--if he wasn't on your butt, it meant he wasn't concerned about you and wasn't counting on you.

We had two football coaches here in past years who paddled football players who made an F on their grade cards. Cruel and unusual? I think not. The players actually took this as a badge indicating they had status with the team. They lined up for it.

Some coaches do it one way; some do it another. When I started high school coaching, we did not allow a word to be said on the buses on the way to the games. That has changed now. Was it good? Seemed to work at the time.

If a coach wants to keep his players in the gym/auditorium/practice facility before games, that's his prerogative. Coach Counce here at Dyersburg does that. Lights out, mats, music for a couple of hours before time to dress and warmup. Seems to work. Are their other ways? I'm sure there are.

One final point. Players are changing. One of my close friends and former coaching partner worked for years as a pro football scout. He scouted for the Miami Dolphins for about 10 years before retiring, working during the Shula and Jimmy Johnson eras. He told me about pre-season camps and the differences. Shula was from the "old school"--treat the men as professionals, honor code, be in by a certain time, trust the players. After a time, the pros began to sneak out, come in at all hours, abuse the system. Johnson knew the modern player. He had guards posted everywhere, strict fines. The modern athlete is different from the athlete of 30 years ago.

High school football is not a democracy; it is a voluntary dictatorship, hopefully a benevolent dictatorship. There is no record of high school football games and/or championships being won by ACLU officials.

Edited by Augielio

I believe in discipline. I believe that there is 1 rule, do not do ANYTHING that could possibly hurt the team.

Just remember for every rule you have you have to enforce it, by having a general rule you can apply it differently....there are different circumstances for each kid.

Here is an example I want you to think about. A coach had a rule that if you were not at the school an hour before the bus left you were not allowed to ride the bus or dress. A kid comes sprinting to the bus right before it pulled out. The coach wouldnt let him on the bus, when the bus got back the kid was still there crying. Turns out he rode the bus home, got home his dad was sloshed drunk. He had nooway back to the school. He immediately turned and ran the 8 miles from his home back to school and got there right before the game started. How many kids would have done that, he actually went above and beyond, but there was no ifs ands or buts about the coachs rule.

So I go by the rule do not do anything that could hurt the team and if you have to think twice would this hurt the team or would i do this if a coach was around, then dont do it. This way the players are treated like men, and from time to time they will make a wrong decission and when they do they should be penalized, but this gives a coach a little more freedom.