Greeneville Coach Relieved Of Head Coach Duties

Challenger

Greeneville and Eliz does not wanna drop to 3A simply because they wanna play their 4A rivals and they dont travel far. If they went 3A the closest school would be Rutledge.

think about this some of these schools could ask the TSSAA to make a new district and conference up here for 3A it could look something like this:

Elizabethton

Greeneville

Unicoi

Johnson County

Sull. North

Im sure there are others but i have clients to visit got to run... just a thought

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greeneville does remain in 4A because of the money and the traditional rivalries that they have had throughout the years. The number of players on the field is one of the big issues with the coaching decision. Year in and year out the freshman teams have performed well at Greeneville but many of those players never get on the field again after their freshman year and that is a problem. The program has been in a gradual decline over the past 4 years and last season was not the reason this move was made. Greeneville has the atheletes to get back to the top of their region but somebody has to come in and get these atheletes to play. The size of the school really has no bearing on the number of kids playing football, as I have seen 3A schools with more kids playing than Greeneville had this year. It is getting the right attitude and motivation in place to get the kids to play.

Even if Greeneville and other schools like Elizabethton dropped down in classification, they could still schedule their rivals in their non-region games.

Really, dropping down to AAA would just mean farther to travel..right now, Volunteer is the farthest away game we have...Morristown, Newport, Rogersville, Jonesboro...there all less than 30 minutes away...there is no incentive to change..farther driving distances translate to smaller gates. Five Rivers fans travel well.

Really, dropping down to AAA would just mean farther to travel..right now, Volunteer is the farthest away game we have...Morristown, Newport, Rogersville, Jonesboro...there all less than 30 minutes away...there is no incentive to change..farther driving distances translate to smaller gates. Five Rivers fans travel well.

I heard that Jeff County is on the schedule for next year - can anyone confirm if that is true?

Yeah, I think the main reason we've been doing bad is declining numbers. We still have the atheletes, just not as many of them going out for Varsity. I know quite a few people who quit after their Freshman year due to not wanting to play for Zeller.

Another problem is that tuition rates have been going up. We used to get a lot of the cream of the county school crop to come to GHS, but that's not so much the case anymore.

Is winning not an incentive? More wins eguals play-off games which equals more gate. Like I said, if other teams would drop down, there would not be much more travel time. Someone else already mentioned enough teams in Northeast Tennessee that are playing in 4A that could actually play in 3A.

Even if Greeneville and other schools like Elizabethton dropped down in classification, they could still schedule their rivals in their non-region games.

Most of the teams on Greeneville's schedule, especially in the 5 Rivers have roots that go back 50 years or more, I know some of the schools have split and are newer but I just don't think the fans at Greeneville want to see Rutledge, Carter, Claiborne Co., etc. on their schedule. They just won't get the gate. This program has had a lot of success at the 4A level and, in all honesty, the teams in Region 1 and Region 2 are so weak right now, that getting back to a level of success in the Region could happen quickly with a few good breaks.

Most of the teams on Greeneville's schedule, especially in the 5 Rivers have roots that go back 50 years or more, I know some of the schools have split and are newer but I just don't think the fans at Greeneville want to see Rutledge, Carter, Claiborne Co., etc. on their schedule. They just won't get the gate. This program has had a lot of success at the 4A level and, in all honesty, the teams in Region 1 and Region 2 are so weak right now, that getting back to a level of success in the Region could happen quickly with a few good breaks.

A lot of Boone fans complained a couple of years ago about being moved to region 2. After the past 2 years of winning 7 and 9 games and making the play-offs both years we don't mind the extra 20-30 minutes of driving time every other week. Most of the time if you host even 1 playoff game you make enough money to cover the extra travel distance the team has to make. Most true fans would rather drive 45 minutes to see their team win than to drive 20 minutes to see their team lose.

A lot of Boone fans complained a couple of years ago about being moved to region 2. After the past 2 years of winning 7 and 9 games and making the play-offs both years we don't mind the extra 20-30 minutes of driving time every other week. Most of the time if you host even 1 playoff game you make enough money to cover the extra travel distance the team has to make. Most true fans would rather drive 45 minutes to see their team win than to drive 20 minutes to see their team lose.

You misunderstood my post. It's not about the drive it's about the teams that Greeneville is playing. Greeneville fans travel well no matter who they are playing, but these schools I was referring to will not bring the support that the schools Greeneville currently plays will. Greeneville has approximately the same number of students now that it has had for the last 20 years or so and has been very successful in 4A since the state went to 5 classes. I would put their Region record up against any other team with the exception of West and if my memory is correct they are the only team in Region 1 or 2 to beat West in the last 6 or 7 years. Greeneville has had a couple of down years but don't expect them to be down forever.

You misunderstood my post. It's not about the drive it's about the teams that Greeneville is playing. Greeneville fans travel well no matter who they are playing, but these schools I was referring to will not bring the support that the schools Greeneville currently plays will. Greeneville has approximately the same number of students now that it has had for the last 20 years or so and has been very successful in 4A since the state went to 5 classes. I would put their Region record up against any other team with the exception of West and if my memory is correct they are the only team in Region 1 or 2 to beat West in the last 6 or 7 years. Greeneville has had a couple of down years but don't expect them to be down forever.

OK I get what your saying about other teams not coming to Greeneville now. I'm not sure how you know that other teams fans will not come to Greeneville though. Even if Greeneville plays 5 home games against teams that would bring 1000 less fans than what they are having now that is 5000 people. If Greeneville were to host just 1 playoff game, how many people would come? I bet it would be more than 5000. BTW in 2001 West lost to Cocke County and in 2004 thet lost to East, Cherokee and Tennessee High.

'Boone should come back to the MLC.