Ravenwood vs. White Station

CHS 2007

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The assumption here is that Coach Wright will have us play at the Fairgrounds yet again, if that changes I will post similar info for the newer site.

This map is from the Liberty Bowl game site. I will look for a more detailed map, but this will get you there. The field we will be playing on is directly North of Liberty Bowl Stadium, literally a long parking lot away. On this map you see McCarver Stadium , although it is now been torn down ( leaving a big empty field ) our field is due East, right along Central Avenue.

http://www.libertybowl.org/navigation-content-parkinginfo

Getting to the Fairgrounds area from Nashville is pretty easy. Assuming you are traveling West on I 40, proceed on to Sam Cooper Blvd when you reach the I 240 junction. Sam Cooper dead ends into East Parkway, take a left, traveling South a mile or so and you will reach Central Avenue ( CBU college will be on your left ). Take a left onto Central, about a qurter mile or so take a right on Early Maxwell and the field will be on your left, you will take the first left off of Maxwell that you find to get to the parking area itself. ( This is a public field so the restrooms are just average if you know what I mean ).

The above is my suggestion as to the easiest way to get there. There are some great places to eat only a couple of miles away in the Cooper Young area and the Cooper Madison Avenue area. Not to mention Downtown and on Beale Street, etc.

Stuman,

Those are some great directions.

I just hope that Coach Wright changes his mind and allows this game to be played at HALLE stadium, instead of the Fairgrounds!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stadium at the Fairgrounds is entirely too small, to accomodate the (expected large) crowds of a semi-final playoff game, especially since White Station is the ONLY Memphis team playing! Heck, practically every High School football fan in Memphis will likely attend this game.

Overall, the Fairgrounds stadium seating stinks. The view from the stands stinks. Sure, the Fairgrounds has more parking, particularly up-close parking...That's about it.

Halle is a nicer stadium, has better lighting, more seating, superior seating, great view from the stands.....Halle actually has PLENTY of parking! It's just deceptively so, given that most of it is along the edges of the 3/4 mile oval, that encircles the stadium.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Stuman, keep us posted on the location of this game. Hopefully, all of Memphis will come out to support its lone remaing playoff team, White Station Spartans.

Go White Station. Beat Ravenwood.

TraderB , thats a good point about Melrose benefiting after Cooley leaves. If we ( WSHS ) are lucky maybe Coach Wright will be able to continue to attract some kids as well.

Your points on Halle stadium are well taken, but I think the field at the Fairgrounds may in better shape at this time. Should I hear anything different, I will post it , including directions should the venue change.

jgkarl, we look forward to hosting you guys. Just to be playing in the semis, and to play the prior champion is an honor and an accomplishment in and of itself. Let's pray for good weather and an injury free game.

TraderB , thats a good point about Melrose benefiting after Cooley leaves. If we ( WSHS ) are lucky maybe Coach Wright will be able to continue to attract some kids as well.

Your points on Halle stadium are well taken, but I think the field at the Fairgrounds may in better shape at this time. Should I hear anything different, I will post it , including directions should the venue change.

jgkarl, we look forward to hosting you guys. Just to be playing in the semis, and to play the prior champion is an honor and an accomplishment in and of itself. Let's pray for good weather and an injury free game.

I just hope that Coach Wright changes his mind and allows this game to be played at HALLE stadium, instead of the Fairgrounds!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stadium at the Fairgrounds is entirely too small, to accomodate the (expected large) crowds of a semi-final playoff game, especially since White Station is the ONLY Memphis team playing! Heck, practically every High School football fan in Memphis will likely attend this game.

Overall, the Fairgrounds stadium seating stinks. The view from the stands stinks. Sure, the Fairgrounds has more parking, particularly up-close parking...That's about it.

Halle is a nicer stadium, has better lighting, more seating, superior seating, great view from the stands.....Halle actually has PLENTY of parking! It's just deceptively so, given that most of it is along the edges of the 3/4 mile oval, that encircles the stadium.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything you say is true. It is a lot of parking on the back side plus some people tailgated in the area north of the field on dry nights. Of course I'm saying this figureing that they will open the back gate for this game? I'm thinking they did for the Ridgeway/Wooddale game.

As far as the field condition I don't know. With all JV and Freshman games being completed long ago there has only been one game a week on it for the last 3/4 weeks. My choice would be the Cordova field, it has conc. stand and b/rooms on both sides where as at the other 2 you have a long walk to get in a crowd.

Thanks for the directions. We don't care if we play in the Liberty Bowl or in the parking lot...we have shoes for each. I hope the weather holds out...last forecast I saw was for mid 50's which would be great this time of year. Should be a great weekend of football, food and friends. If anyone from RHS is interested, there is a group of us going down to the Egg Bowl in Oxford on Saturday...the more the merrier.

Actually the coach gets to pick the field, and we feel as comfortable at the Fairgrounds as at Halle ( we have won 4 games in a row at the fairgrounds ).

It does mess up the holiday from one prospective, but as my son said " I would much rather be playing Friday night than be off on Thursday ".

I was wondering about the travel schedule for Ravenwood. So you guys went to Nashville on Thursday last year ? Did ya'll stay through Sat. or come back right after the game last year? I guess the school picked up the travel costs ? I don't know how that works.

Ridgeway players went over on Thurs. and came back Sat. morning. Some of the fans did the same, most (me) went Friday morning and came back Sat., of course the wife had to do some shopping.

As for the cost for the team I don't know who pays what. I'm thinking that the booster club paid for some of the food and may (?) have paid to upgrade the bus. Your lucky that you don't have to travel for this game but if you did you would see one REAL nice set up.

Stuman89,

I do not know where Coach Cooley is going to end up.... I do know that, as a result of losing its Coach, Ridgeway will no longer be able to draw the BEST football players in the Memphis area.

Melrose will (by default) benefit the most from Coach Cooley's resignation. Ridgeway football will suffer.

Make no mistake about it, Coach Cooley was the PRIMARY reason that Ridgeway consistently drew many top-flight football players. Coach Cooley is a great Coach that every kid wants to play for. Sure, some still went to Melrose. For many, however, Ridgeway represented the "safer," more ideal alternative to attending school in the "rough" Orange Mound Community at Melrose (the other top-notch football school).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many talented athlethes take full advantage of the Memphis City Schools (MCS) Optional-School program (let's not kid ourselves, here), to go attend the school where they'll have the best chance (in their view) of winning a Championship! That's Melrose. That's Ridgeway. End of story.

Now, it's just Melrose....Yes, despite the Orange Mound community's rough reputation, many more of the area's best football players will bite the bullet (pressure their parents) and find a way to get into Melrose. Count on it.

Melrose is now more likely to win a Football Championship within the next 4 years.

If anyone knows where he is going it has been one of the best kept secrets ever. I kind of thought it may be Briercrest at one time but they went another direction plus after the stuff I've read on here, why would anyone want to get in that mess.

Ridgeways football team is going to take a big hit this year, around 25 Sr.s and about 18/19 are starters. Plus we were in alot of close games and alot of the players didn't get as much playing time as they have in the past. On top of this I keep hearing different things about the qb. some say he's done and others say he may be able to play next year.

You make good points about where players go. I don't think it will take Melrose 4 years to win one, aren't they just the reverse of the Ridgeway team with most of theirs comming back? His leaveing may help them win several over the years unless another well known coach comes to Ridgeway. By the way, who went where and took a last place team to a #1 seed? Who has a ring and use to give Melrose all they wanted? No way it could be a flip flop is there?????

No reason to hate me CHS...you made the silly statement about whether anyone else had a chance against the Owls and my answer was a resounding YES!! You being a Centennial fan with an unrealistic view(remember the quote, "CHS should have half the All-Region slots with the talent they have"). Come back to reality and realize that Ravenwood, White Station and Smyrna are all viable contenders for the title. The Owls are a very good, undefeated team (remember Gallatin) that is beatable. Last, but not least, Ravenwood was far from the favorite in last years championship game against Oak Ridge. After OR beat "mighty" Riverdale, everyone thought that they would walk all over Ravenwood.

Good luck in your search for a head coach. I suspect that Gregory did not purposely try to lose 9 games last year with the "great" talent you had at CHS.

You took that quote out of context. Go back and read the post and you'll see that I was responding that All-Region slots should not be based on purely the talent level, but rather the year they have had. For instance, Todd Campbell is probably the most talented player in the region, but he had a bad year so he fell from the rankings.

Now Jgkarl, I know this may come as a shock, but there are many people outside of CoachT that voice their opinion on High School Football. Alot of the press was saying that even though Oak Ridge beat arguably the best team in the state, Ravenwood had the better all-around team. Plus, no one was seriously shocked when Ravenwood won.

Third of all, stop randomly bashing CHS. This is a post about Ravenwood and White Station. If its the middle of the season and the post revolves around Centennial, by all means talk trash. But the season is over, we lost almost every game, no one here cares any more. So to take your trash talk to a totally unrelated thread is just weak. Talk about the game at hand or don't talk at all.

Edited by CHS 2007

What do ya’ll mean about where the game going to be played? If not the Fairgrounds, where? We are trying to plan this trip. It would be nice to know. Arraignments have to be made on our end. How long is the wait to find out? Someone mention Halle, where is that?

Edited by rapbwood

What do ya’ll mean about where the game going to be played? If not the Fairgrounds, where? We are trying to plan this trip. It would be nice to know. Arraignments have to be made on our end. How long is the wait to find out? Someone mention Halle, where is that?

Memphis does not have a field for each school. Several schools share the same field and White Station has played all of its playoff games at the Fairgounds but has played some of its home games (reg. season) at Halle. They are both in the city and most likely it will be at the Fairgounds. Most likely it will set Monday and someone will post it.

We are just talking about our rathers, we have NOTHING to do with it. Have you checked the TSSAA site? If its posted there then it would take an act of God to change it, and I don't think he's worry about football right now. :thumb:

...Ridgeways football team is going to take a big hit this year, around 25 Sr.s and about 18/19 are starters. Plus we were in alot of close games and alot of the players didn't get as much playing time as they have in the past. On top of this I keep hearing different things about the qb. some say he's done and others say he may be able to play next year.

You make good points about where players go. I don't think it will take Melrose 4 years to win one, aren't they just the reverse of the Ridgeway team with most of theirs comming back? His leaveing may help them win several over the years unless another well known coach comes to Ridgeway

.... By the way, who went where and took a last place team to a #1 seed? Who has a ring and use to give Melrose all they wanted? No way it could be a flip flop is there?????

PapawOfBoo,

The majority of Melrose's current team is returning next year, accordiing to a Melrose-faithful CoachT poster. Plus, I strongly suspect they'll likely pick up a few good players who, otherwise, would have gone to Ridgeway.

Melrose has to be considered a Bona Fide favorite to Win the 4A Championship next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Papaw, are you suggesting that former East High Coach (currently with Munford), Wayne Randall is under consideration for the vacant Ridgeway Head Coach's job?

Wow, that would raise quite a stink in Munford.... Can you imagine the uproar, should Coach Randall leave Munford after only one (successful) season!