Ravenwood vs. White Station

CHS 2007

Actually the coach gets to pick the field, and we feel as comfortable at the Fairgrounds as at Halle ( we have won 4 games in a row at the fairgrounds ).

It does mess up the holiday from one prospective, but as my son said " I would much rather be playing Friday night than be off on Thursday ".

I was wondering about the travel schedule for Ravenwood. So you guys went to Nashville on Thursday last year ? Did ya'll stay through Sat. or come back right after the game last year? I guess the school picked up the travel costs ? I don't know how that works.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I hope we get a lot of Memphis high school football fans out for the game, we would really like a huge crowd there.

By the way, any news on where coach Cooley may end up ? I hope he stays in the Memphis area if he ends up at a private school. He is certainly a class guy.

Edited by stuman89

Actually the coach gets to pick the field, and we feel as comfortable at the Fairgrounds as at Halle ( we have won 4 games in a row at the fairgrounds ).

It does mess up the holiday from one prospective, but as my son said " I would much rather be playing Friday night than be off on Thursday ".

I was wondering about the travel schedule for Ravenwood. So you guys went to Nashville on Thursday last year ? Did ya'll stay through Sat. or come back right after the game last year? I guess the school picked up the travel costs ? I don't know how that works.

last semi finals was a home game at ravenwood, and we are from Nashville. Brentwood is about 30 minutes South of Downtown Nashville.

Certainly true , not a better way to spend a vacation.

I think I have mentioned this, there is plenty of parking available, but be aware that there are only a couple of convenience stores close by for last minute tailgating needs. I will try to hunt up a map of the Fairgrounds area for you guys and post it before Thursday.

Certainly true , not a better way to spend a vacation.

I think I have mentioned this, there is plenty of parking available, but be aware that there are only a couple of convenience stores close by for last minute tailgating needs. I will try to hunt up a map of the Fairgrounds area for you guys and post it before Thursday.

Thanks...the Raptor Nation is large in numbers...and we do like to tailgate, so we will scout out a spot early and stay late. Sounds like the fairgrounds is the location?? We are looking forward to some Memphis BBQ. A lot of families have ties in the Memphis area so we are looking forward to the trip.

First off, I hate you.

Second off, just remember that people outside CoachT have opinions about High School football. Alot of people said that the teams were evenly matched and the game would be a toss up. Some people even favored the Raptors. Oak Ridge was a good team that suprised Riverdale and they had probably the best rusher in the state of tennessee. But many felt that the Raptors had the better all around team.

No reason to hate me CHS...you made the silly statement about whether anyone else had a chance against the Owls and my answer was a resounding YES!! You being a Centennial fan with an unrealistic view(remember the quote, "CHS should have half the All-Region slots with the talent they have"). Come back to reality and realize that Ravenwood, White Station and Smyrna are all viable contenders for the title. The Owls are a very good, undefeated team (remember Gallatin) that is beatable. Last, but not least, Ravenwood was far from the favorite in last years championship game against Oak Ridge. After OR beat "mighty" Riverdale, everyone thought that they would walk all over Ravenwood.

Good luck in your search for a head coach. I suspect that Gregory did not purposely try to lose 9 games last year with the "great" talent you had at CHS.

The assumption here is that Coach Wright will have us play at the Fairgrounds yet again, if that changes I will post similar info for the newer site.

This map is from the Liberty Bowl game site. I will look for a more detailed map, but this will get you there. The field we will be playing on is directly North of Liberty Bowl Stadium, literally a long parking lot away. On this map you see McCarver Stadium , although it is now been torn down ( leaving a big empty field ) our field is due East, right along Central Avenue.

http://www.libertybowl.org/navigation-content-parkinginfo

Getting to the Fairgrounds area from Nashville is pretty easy. Assuming you are traveling West on I 40, proceed on to Sam Cooper Blvd when you reach the I 240 junction. Sam Cooper dead ends into East Parkway, take a left, traveling South a mile or so and you will reach Central Avenue ( CBU college will be on your left ). Take a left onto Central, about a qurter mile or so take a right on Early Maxwell and the field will be on your left, you will take the first left off of Maxwell that you find to get to the parking area itself. ( This is a public field so the restrooms are just average if you know what I mean ).

The above is my suggestion as to the easiest way to get there. There are some great places to eat only a couple of miles away in the Cooper Young area and the Cooper Madison Avenue area. Not to mention Downtown and on Beale Street, etc.

Edited by stuman89

By the way, any news on where coach Cooley may end up ? I hope he stays in the Memphis area if he ends up at a private school. He is certainly a class guy.

Stuman89,

I do not know where Coach Cooley is going to end up.... I do know that, as a result of losing its Coach, Ridgeway will no longer be able to draw the BEST football players in the Memphis area.

Melrose will (by default) benefit the most from Coach Cooley's resignation. Ridgeway football will suffer.

Make no mistake about it, Coach Cooley was the PRIMARY reason that Ridgeway consistently drew many top-flight football players. Coach Cooley is a great Coach that every kid wants to play for. Sure, some still went to Melrose. For many, however, Ridgeway represented the "safer," more ideal alternative to attending school in the "rough" Orange Mound Community at Melrose (the other top-notch football school).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A perfect illustration of this theme is White Station basketball:

The "genius" Coach Tippett led White Station BB for years. All the top B-Ballers went to White Station BECAUSE of coach Tippett's reputation. Now that Coach Tippett is gone....What's happened to White Station basketball?

Not surprisingly, WS basketball has fallen off the map. They're an also-ran. They're still suffering....Do not look for for WS to be a perennially strong BB school again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many talented athlethes take full advantage of the Memphis City Schools (MCS) Optional-School program (let's not kid ourselves, here), to go attend the school where they'll have the best chance (in their view) of winning a Championship! That's Melrose. That's Ridgeway. End of story.

Now, it's just Melrose....Yes, despite the Orange Mound community's rough reputation, many more of the area's best football players will bite the bullet (pressure their parents) and find a way to get into Melrose. Count on it.

Melrose is now more likely to win a Football Championship within the next 4 years.

Edited by TraderB

The assumption here is that Coach Wright will have us play at the Fairgrounds yet again, if that changes I will post similar info for the newer site.

This map is from the Liberty Bowl game site. I will look for a more detailed map, but this will get you there. The field we will be playing on is directly North of Liberty Bowl Stadium, literally a long parking lot away. On this map you see McCarver Stadium , although it is now been torn down ( leaving a big empty field ) our field is due East, right along Central Avenue.

http://www.libertybowl.org/navigation-content-parkinginfo

Getting to the Fairgrounds area from Nashville is pretty easy. Assuming you are traveling West on I 40, proceed on to Sam Cooper Blvd when you reach the I 240 junction. Sam Cooper dead ends into East Parkway, take a left, traveling South a mile or so and you will reach Central Avenue ( CBU college will be on your left ). Take a left onto Central, about a qurter mile or so take a right on Early Maxwell and the field will be on your left, you will take the first left off of Maxwell that you find to get to the parking area itself. ( This is a public field so the restrooms are just average if you know what I mean ).

The above is my suggestion as to the easiest way to get there. There are some great places to eat only a couple of miles away in the Cooper Young area and the Cooper Madison Avenue area. Not to mention Downtown and on Beale Street, etc.

Thanks Stuman for the help. We appreciate it and look forward to a well-played game on Friday. Sorry no one has helped give you any insight on our team but not much to say. You get this far and you know that you've got your hands full no matter who you play.