best defense in 6-5A

sgunit30

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw all 5 of the above mentionoed teams at least once this season, and I saw several multiple times.

Franklin was the most consistent. I only saw them play poorly once (against Pettigrew from Independence).

In defense of Dickson County's defense, they would've shut out Franklin if it wasn't for a missed 20-something yard field goal.

Ravenwood's D plays big when it needs to.

Brentwood? You should've seen the Smyrna game. Smyrna scored at will. I realize it was week 1, but come on. Stop somebody.

Independence...no way. Good offense though.

I think any of the first three can provide an argument for why they're the best, and I wouldn't have a problem with any of them being called the best.

I saw all 5 of the above mentionoed teams at least once this season, and I saw several multiple times.

Franklin was the most consistent. I only saw them play poorly once (against Pettigrew from Independence).

In defense of Dickson County's defense, they would've shut out Franklin if it wasn't for a missed 20-something yard field goal.

Ravenwood's D plays big when it needs to.

Brentwood? You should've seen the Smyrna game. Smyrna scored at will. I realize it was week 1, but come on. Stop somebody.

Independence...no way. Good offense though.

I think any of the first three can provide an argument for why they're the best, and I wouldn't have a problem with any of them being called the best.

You should have seen the Brentwood Ravenwood game. Both defenses played to a 13-13 tie. The Bwood D stoned them in OT forcing the field goal. The Rwood D collapsed on the first play yielding a 10-yard TD run up the gut-game over. Now the Raps have given up 28 or more points a game to their last 3 playoff opponents and have needed the O to bail them out.

Based on points allowed per game its Franklin, Dickson, Bwood, Indy, Rwood.

You should have seen the Brentwood Ravenwood game. Both defenses played to a 13-13 tie. The Bwood D stoned them in OT forcing the field goal. The Rwood D collapsed on the first play yielding a 10-yard TD run up the gut-game over. Now the Raps have given up 28 or more points a game to their last 3 playoff opponents and have needed the O to bail them out.

No disrespect, but Indy shouldn't be up there. They played an easy schedule and when it came time to step up, they surrendered a lot of points. Ravenwood's Defense isn't bad, just inconsistent. And I agree with you that Brentwood has a very underrated defense as well.

Obviously this did not help your first four teams get past the 1st round so maybe points allowed are overrated. Ravenwood's D is not the best in the region but the team is...

So the verdict here is Offense win championships? I don't think so. As you advanced through the playoff, the offensive teams are better and capable of putting the ball into the air as well as running on the ground. Yes, the defense will give up some points with these teams but how many points would they give up if the defense was not top notch. Defense wins championships and by the looks of it, Ravenwood is the only one left playing.

I do think Dickson County had a very good defense this year as well as the best football shoes for playing in mud.

So the verdict here is Offense win championships? I don't think so. As you advanced through the playoff, the offensive teams are better and capable of putting the ball into the air as well as running on the ground. Yes, the defense will give up some points with these teams but how many points would they give up if the defense was not top notch. Defense wins championships and by the looks of it, Ravenwood is the only one left playing.

I do think Dickson County had a very good defense this year as well as the best football shoes for playing in mud.

That's my point. They always say, D wins championships (whoever "they" are). You beat Oak Ridge last year with defense (and that fake punt by T.C. that was probably the best play I saw all last year). And in my opinion you're going have to play like that again. Not saying you can't. If you look at the non-blowout final 5A games this century, total points scored have been 21 or fewer. But who knows? As crazy as this post-season has been, it may end up being a +70 point track meet.

We will see tomorrow obviously but the previous 3 games RHS is giving up an average of 28 points a game. Smyrna has great playmakers too so the Raptors may need their offense to win THIS championship.