Ravenwood vs Smyrna

tj37067

First off, I have to say that I'm so glad Ravenwood is not playing Ooltewah. Not because the Owls would win, but because I don't have to read posts from all the smack talkers from there. I swear, some of those people think the sun and moon hang over their school and have no clue about the quality of football played in middle Tennessee. Well thankfully they learned and the heartiest congratulations to the Bulldogs for their fine victories during the playoffs. Smyrna has had a remarkable tunraround and you should be proud of your fine team.

I'm pretty sure most knowledgeable observers understand that neither Smyrna nor Ravenwood are the same teams that played such a close game in week 5. Each team has made incredible progress and stepped their games up several levels.

This Saturday is going to be a game between two exceptionally talented teams who will bring tremendous skill and motivation into the 'boro. One thing I can say for sure is that both the 5A gold and silver balls will find homes in middle Tennessee this year.

No score prediction...no smack talk...just a great game!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ravenwood by 14+......they are too strong for Smyrna and peaking at the right time.....Smyrna has never been to the big game.......This is the second State Championship the Ravenwood players have been in in the last 53 weeks.......they are too balanced with a great coach and fan base......

Congratulations to both Smyrna and Ravenwood for showing the state that Middle TN plays some dog gone good football!

Go Ravenwood! Now don't read your press clippings and mess it up.... :D

ravenwood by 14 if i remember correctly they barely scored 14 the first time they played smyrna and smyrna was missing running back antione hendrix. josh crouch just got back from suspension. many things have changed with smyrnas defense to i dont think ravenwood can handle the dawgs now that these changes have been made

well i know what happened last time..and i know what i allowed yall to do is to get to my head b4 the game..but since then i have "grown up"..if the best thing u can do is say ur coming after me again..then thats fine..but to the players..i have soooo much respect for yall..i am happy to b able to say i am a senior at smyrna high school and i was the 1st class to ever make it to the state..and with all that being said i could ask for a better opponet then ravenwood..goodluck to yall..and i hope the game is full of sportsmanship..bc the past is behind me..but i know aswell as everyone else that i will get bashed during the game saturday..sooo i am jus gonna accept it,but letting the fans know..i am a new athlete since that game..and everyone around our program understands that..

but..goodluck to yall saturday and i will b the first to tell yall, yall had an amazing season and everything yall have accomplished in 2 yrs really makes me look at ravenwood as a quote new dynasty beginning..so this will b the last time i look at this thread, i was jus told by other ppl that it was said, but i dont hate u for it..if i was a fan there too i would prob do the same thing knowing that we got to him last time..but this is football and my senior yr, and the 1st class to b able to say we took smyrna high to the state championship..so goodluck again, and may the best team win!

For all who are wondering about which came first, Ravenwood's "We Believe" or Smyrna's "I Believe" here is a history lesson that I quoted from another Ravenwood poster. As you can see, Ravenwood's slogan started at last year's playoffs.

I see a little history lesson is required here!

It all started with Coach Brian Rector before the season started in 2005. He asked his team to believe in him, the coaches, and each other. If they did, the team while have no doubts regardless of the situation. Coach Rector spoke of this during the QB club with the parents.

During the second round 2005 playoffs with Franklin, the Raptors were down 14 to 7 late in the fourth quarter. Things were looking a little bleak for the home team. Franklin was putting up a real fight and clock was running late into the fourth quarter. Ravenwood defense got the ball back to put the offense back on the field. During this time, two well know football moms in the QB club stood up and were yelling “WE BELIEVE!”. As they kept up with the chant, others joined in and before you know it, other people sitting in our section joined the chant.

Well, the rest is history. Ravenwood moved the ball downfield and score the touchdown to move with one extra point kick to tie the game. Our kicker has been good all year but not this time, the extra point kick went wide, leaving the score at 14 to 13 with less than two minutes to play. The Franklin crowd across the way was cheering loudly while our side went dead quite. Dreams of going to the next playoff round were looking real bleak.

With less than two minutes remaining and down by one point, what are you going to do? The only thing you can do, an onside kick. Franklin new it was coming as the Ravenwood coaches prep their players to stay confident, this game isn’t over! The two moms previously mention stood up and started yelling “WE BELIEVE!”. Others in our section joined in chant while the onside kick was started by Ravenwood.

The football is onside kick to Franklin short side of the field but out comes the yellow flag, OFF SIDES, five yard penalty. The referee moves the ball back on the 35. The two moms starts the “WE BELIEVE!” chant again, other join. The ball is onside kicked over to the Franklin side of the field but the ref’s flag comes out again, OFF SIDES, five yard penalty, move the ball back to the 30 yard line. Now this is getting to be too much, the anxiety of the moment couldn’t be more intense for both teams.

Coach Rector calls a time out to discuss the situation with his team. The “WE BELIEVE!” chant starts back up during the time out. The players go back out on the field but an adjustment was made to alignment of the players. This was not picked up by the Franklin coaches or players. The ball was kicked but in the opposite direction of the Franklin alignment. After the ball traveled past the forty yard line, a Franklin player tried to jump on the ball but it was too late, three Ravenwood players was their to scoop up the ball, Ravenwood recovers at the 42 with 58 yards to go.

Ravenwood drives the ball down the field within reach of the ten yard line and fourth down, with little time remaining. Coach Rector sends the field goal team on the field while Franklin tries to ice the kicker with timeouts. Again, the “WE BELIEVE!” chant gets rolling and the rest is history. The field goal is good. Ravenwood goes up 16 to 14 over Franklin and wins the game.

The onsite kick and driving down the field for the winning field goal was a defining moment for Ravenwood Football that propel them into wining the 2005 Class 5A Championship. Thus, the motto of “WE BELIEVE!” continued through the championship game into this year and through the playoffs. It has become the moniker of the Raptor Nation.

It is something special. Stickers have been produced. Yard signs have been put up allover the Brentwood and Cool Springs area. Homes and yards are decorated with the Motto. Everywhere you go throughout the local neighborhood, the signs are seen. In fact, the school has gotten complaints from the people thinking it was a religious statement.

Smyrna experience this first hand this year when the Raptors were down in the fourth quarter, yet came back to win. It was loud and clear – “WE BELIEVE!”.

It was written up the front page on the Tennessean sport section after the Antioch win in big capital letters. BELIEVE IT! The paper explained the loud unison voice of the Raptor Nation in the chorus of “WE BELIEVE!” during the fourth quarter of the game.

Raptor Nation slogan, “WE BELIEVE!” is a team statement, enforced by the belief in the team by the players, coaches, students, teachers, administrators, parents, fans, community, and each other. :usa:

For all who are wondering about which came first, Ravenwood's "We Believe" or Smyrna's "I Believe" here is a history lesson that I quoted from another Ravenwood poster. As you can see, Ravenwood's slogan started at last year's playoffs.

So I guess this is Believe Bowl II - and Smyrna will be making their first appearance. That would make ya the Green Bay Packers of the Believe Bowl and Smyrna would be the Oakland Raiders. So after next Saturday, the question will be who will be the Baltimore Colts, and more importantly, the New York Jets of Believe Bowl III :D

well i know what happened last time..and i know what i allowed yall to do is to get to my head b4 the game..but since then i have "grown up"..if the best thing u can do is say ur coming after me again..then thats fine..but to the players..i have soooo much respect for yall..i am happy to b able to say i am a senior at smyrna high school and i was the 1st class to ever make it to the state..and with all that being said i could ask for a better opponet then ravenwood..goodluck to yall..and i hope the game is full of sportsmanship..bc the past is behind me..but i know aswell as everyone else that i will get bashed during the game saturday..sooo i am jus gonna accept it,but letting the fans know..i am a new athlete since that game..and everyone around our program understands that..

but..goodluck to yall saturday and i will b the first to tell yall, yall had an amazing season and everything yall have accomplished in 2 yrs really makes me look at ravenwood as a quote new dynasty beginning..so this will b the last time i look at this thread, i was jus told by other ppl that it was said, but i dont hate u for it..if i was a fan there too i would prob do the same thing knowing that we got to him last time..but this is football and my senior yr, and the 1st class to b able to say we took smyrna high to the state championship..so goodluck again, and may the best team win!

lol hi josh! looks like weve already started getting into your head again by you even acknowledging us on this thread. just try not to grab yourself or flick off our student section again.....

Edited by rhsraptors10

The "believe" argument is kinda silly. Both teams have had the kinds of success that flows from a deep belief in themselves. Their players believe and their fans believe. Ravenwood's use of the phrase may have a little more history but that shouldn't keep the Bulldogs from believing in their team as well. To see how they've risen up after the drubbing by Riverdale inspires belief and huge amounts of respect.

I've also been eyewitness to the Raptor playoff run and championship in 2005 and have seen Ravenwood fight through a tough start to this season only to end up back at the ship. Raptor fans never waivered in their belief in the great group of kids who wear the red, black, and gold.

Some on this thread will talk smack and others may take offense at the use of a slogan. I'm just willing to wait a week and let this whole thing play out on the field.

Edited by Dist11fan