Whats wrong with total public/private split?

mphstigerfan

We don't recruit at all...

I'm glad you believe in Santa...so do I, and I hope our kids never have to stop...

That is your decision as a father, mine is different, although I am not nearly so angry nor combative about it. Why are you?

Why am I mad? Because of a post like yours. If privates would just come out and say they recruit and TSSAA isnt going to do anything about it, I wouldnt be upset, but for you to sit there and say you dont recruit is a joke. Everybody knows the privates recruit. WOW. Thats why my kid will never step foot in a place like that. They constantly preach one thing and act another.

Edited by MPHSTIGERS87

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am I mad? Because of a post like yours. If privates would just come out and say they recruit and TSSAA isnt going to do anything about it, I wouldnt be upset, but for you to sit there and say you dont recruit is a joke. Everybody knows the privates recruit. WOW. Thats why my kid will never step foot in a place like that. They constantly preach one thing and act another.

So, are you saying that publics don't recruit? Only privates are doing that? Or is your beef that the privates are "preaching" a higher standard, and you think they are not doing so.

I am sorry that you have had a bad experience with some private schools. I know that you are pretty set in your ways, but I would like to try and tell you that there are some privates out there who actually practice what they preach. I probably won't convince you, but it is true. I think you will find that there are bad apples in both the public and private baskets, as well as some pretty darn good ones. To say that all are bad is some what of an overstatement, don't you think?

Everyone is a lot of people. Some people actually may think that some people are honest, I do. In fact, I tend to think most people attempt to be honest.

But some things I know. I know that we don't nor have we ever recruited. For any reason, ever. First it is against the rules. Second it is against our principles. Third we don't have the money even if we were dishonest and unprincipled, which we are not.

I thought about really blasting you...to be honest it was my first impulse. After all, my mother is an administrator at a small private, my wife teaches at one as do I. So your comments about hypocrisy hit pretty hard. But, I think that for some reason you are really angry already, and you probably didn't think about the fact that there are more than one hundred privates in Tennessee and, unless you have detailed knowledge of all of them your assumption is just that, an ill-informed assumption.

Personally I assume that the small privates and publics are all honest. I realize that some on both sides break the rules, but I would never accuse any of them without personal knowledge of the infraction. So I guess that is my problem with your post...you just accused more than 100 schools of institutional cheating...10000 or so employees of being unethical and dishonest...a pretty sweeping accusation for anyone, wouldn't you say?

Wow again! About all I can say about this post is that (as a college professor of mine used to say) there's "too many broad, sweeping generalizations" here. Be careful about "broad, sweeping generalizations" like "...would never sell $1000 parking slots. Where do you think that money goes? To the school to offer "education" scolarships (sic) to athletes."

Question for you: Where do you think Jackson Christian gets their money to pay for uniforms, equipment, fields, maintenance, etc. as well as to fund non-revenue sports (like most all the other sports)? Even broader question: Where do they have a right to get their money from?

By the way, alleged "recruiting" by the private schools in your immmediate area (CA and ZA) has not really impacted the results of your contests between them, has it? Be careful how you answer. I'm from Columbia and have a brother that lives in Mt. Pleasant!

I truly hope you shake some of your cynicism soon. Why, you probably don't even believe in Santa Claus!

A few years back CA recruited 4 players from Lewis County to play basketball. They played for a state championship their senior year. One of the players lived in government housing and had several siblings. The mother was out of work and could not afford to send her child to a private school. Another student was in a similar situation. Where did the money come from tho send those students to a private school? I guess Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny provided it.

Edited by ezt51

Ok, I'm putting my post up there again because for some reason you are having a hard time figuring it out. SOME SCHOOLS RECRUIT BETTER THAN OTHERS. The recruiting isnt as strong in Maury Co as in other parts of the state, but it does happen as I gave you examples in that same post. Wether it is strong or weak recruiting it is still illegal and TSSAA turns a blind eye to it. Just because recruiting by privates in Maury Co is weak, doesnt mean it doesnt happen (look at example in prior post). I hope it is a little clearer because if its not I'll try to explain again. WOW. Yes I do believe in Santa because my three beautiful children do and they are whats important. P.S. They will never step foot inside a private school as long as I am breathing.

So because a kid and/or his family decides to go to a private school, that kid has been recruited? Your "examples," like your posts, are vague and difficult to follow. Maybe I'm not real smart. Maybe our terms are not the same. Maybe I'm not seeing something you are saying. Maybe you're not saying anything very clearly.

God bless your three beautiful children. I completely agree that they are what's important. I have always felt the same about my three beautiful children (Two of which are grown and one of which is almost grown!). They are really the only reasons I care very much about any of this. I pray they (your children and mine) will not be as cynical and angry about ANYTHING as you seem to be about this issue.

Happy New Year!

A few years back CA recruited 4 players from Lewis County to play basketball. They played for a state championship their senior year. One of the players lived in government housing and had several siblings. The mother was out of work and could not afford to send her child to a private school. Another student was in a similar situation. Where did the money come from tho send those students to a private school? I guess Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny provided it.

I've heard this accusation several times over the years. The season you are talking about is 1996-97 if I am not mistaken. That was ten years ago this year. I have never once heard any sanctions taken against any school for these alleged "violations." If these "violations" were so egregious, why hasn't the TSSAA taken any action? (And I won't buy the argument that "the TSSAA wants to protect these private schools" or something like that. Ask BA, USJ or McCallie if the TSSAA will take action against private schools for recruiting violations.)

BTW, don't you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?

So, are you saying that publics don't recruit? Only privates are doing that? Or is your beef that the privates are "preaching" a higher standard, and you think they are not doing so.

I think you will find that there are bad apples in both the public and private baskets, as well as some pretty darn good ones. To say that all are bad is some what of an overstatement, don't you think?

I agree I shouldnt say all. The ones that make it deep into the playoffs or win the championship always do. I'm sure there are some great privates out there, its just there is a lot of privates that has given "christian schools" a bad name.

Everyone is a lot of people. Some people actually may think that some people are honest, I do. In fact, I tend to think most people attempt to be honest.

But some things I know. I know that we don't nor have we ever recruited. For any reason, ever. First it is against the rules. Second it is against our principles. Third we don't have the money even if we were dishonest and unprincipled, which we are not.

I thought about really blasting you...to be honest it was my first impulse. After all, my mother is an administrator at a small private, my wife teaches at one as do I. So your comments about hypocrisy hit pretty hard. But, I think that for some reason you are really angry already, and you probably didn't think about the fact that there are more than one hundred privates in Tennessee and, unless you have detailed knowledge of all of them your assumption is just that, an ill-informed assumption.

Personally I assume that the small privates and publics are all honest. I realize that some on both sides break the rules, but I would never accuse any of them without personal knowledge of the infraction. So I guess that is my problem with your post...you just accused more than 100 schools of institutional cheating...10000 or so employees of being unethical and dishonest...a pretty sweeping accusation for anyone, wouldn't you say?

I'm really tired of hearing the "personal knowledge" or "proof". Those privates that recruit is obvoius. I'm just stating what 99% of the public schools think. I agree like I stated earlier I shouldnt accuse all privates (just most of them) of recriuting. I know the truth hurts so I'm only sorry about that.

Those were my examples. A clear cut case of recruiting.

So because a kid and/or his family decides to go to a private school, that kid has been recruited? Your "examples," like your posts, are vague and difficult to follow. Maybe I'm not real smart. Maybe our terms are not the same. Maybe I'm not seeing something you are saying. Maybe you're not saying anything very clearly.

God bless your three beautiful children. I completely agree that they are what's important. I have always felt the same about my three beautiful children (Two of which are grown and one of which is almost grown!). They are really the only reasons I care very much about any of this. I pray they (your children and mine) will not be as cynical and angry about ANYTHING as you seem to be about this issue.

Happy New Year!

This is my case in a nutshell. Anybody who knows anything about sports in Maury or Lewis Co knows those kids were recruited and you are correct nothing can be proven so TSSAA turned a blind eye. So sit their and defend it all day that there was nothing wrong with that because we all know there was. And I hope my kids are cynical and angry when there is corruption and cheating in an area that they love. I will raise them to question right from wrong and not always go with the flow. Please dont pray that for my children. I want my children to fight for what is right and wrong. I will pray for wisdom and strenth for them though.

Edited by MPHSTIGERS87

And I hope my kids are cynical and angry when there is corruption and cheating in an area that they love. I will raise them to question right from wrong and not always go with the flow. Please dont pray that for my children. I want my children to fight for what is right and wrong. I will pray for wisdom and strenth for them though.

That would be a beautiful prayer for your childen and mine. May I humbly suggest that cynicism and anger generally accomplishes little? When there is "corruption and cheating" would be a good time to be motivated by anger. When there are vague accusations motivated by paranoia and bitterness, cynicism and anger are not very productive.

I've heard this accusation several times over the years. The season you are talking about is 1996-97 if I am not mistaken. That was ten years ago this year. I have never once heard any sanctions taken against any school for these alleged "violations." If these "violations" were so egregious, why hasn't the TSSAA taken any action? (And I won't buy the argument that "the TSSAA wants to protect these private schools" or something like that. Ask BA, USJ or McCallie if the TSSAA will take action against private schools for recruiting violations.)

BTW, don't you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?

They were put on probation for taking money up at a Church to pay for tutition. Still explain how a parent living in government housing affords to send two children to a private school. Parent was also out of work when the student started to school at the private school.

They were put on probation for taking money up at a Church to pay for tutition. Still explain how a parent living in government housing affords to send two children to a private school. Parent was also out of work when the student started to school at the private school.

Need based financial aid, which is perfectly legal. 10-25%of the kids at most independent schools receive some financial aid. Lots of the kids receiving aid aren't athletes. Most of them aren't stars. The amount of the family's need is required to be determined by an outside third party based on a pre determined

formula that's the same for all kids, all schools. THe average financial aid award is roughly 60% of tuition, so that at a school with tuition of $10,000, the family pays $4,000. THis compare to the price of public schools, which is FREE-- I'm not a math genius, but free looks better than $4k, if price is all you look at. The principal reason schools give financial aid is to increase the diversity of their student body. At most schools that I know about, every family is required to pay something. The need formula is pretty tight, and many families make considerable sacrifices to send their kids to independent schools, for lots of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with sports. That's their choice--- doesn't have to be yours--- and I don't think choosing one way or the other makes somebody a better or worse person. Whining and making excuses, on the other hand, may not make you a bad person, but its a poor example and Bear Bryant wouldn't have approved.

That would be a beautiful prayer for your childen and mine. May I humbly suggest that cynicism and anger generally accomplishes little? When there is "corruption and cheating" would be a good time to be motivated by anger. When there are vague accusations motivated by paranoia and bitterness, cynicism and anger are not very productive.

I dont take any of your suggestions wether humble or any another way. In my Bible there were several times our Maker was angry when he saw "corruption and cheating" he teaches me to do the same in a correct manner. I have expressed myself here without calling names or using foul language. When privates quit cheating, I'll stop the bitterness. I know the truth hurts but I will continue to let ppl know in some form or fashion.

Six classes would work out find in Tennessee as it does in Alabama & Florida with a little twist for privates.

Privates have to play in Class 2 (currently D2, Class 1A), 4 (currently D2, Class 2A), & 6 (currently D2, Class 3A)

Public will be allowed to play in any class of their choosing per student population as follows:

Class 1A or 2A with student population of 500 or less

Class 3A or 4A with student population of 1000 or less

Class 5A & 6A with student population of greater than 1000

Note: School population less than 200 will play in a new eight-man league class regardless of public or private.