Mr Football?

Photoman

You've got to be kidding me. Chris Donald over Rae Sykes and Mark Fisher? What a joke. Donald barely even played this season. This is absolutely ridiculous.

All I know is sykes hasn't put up the #'s like he did in his previous seasons. could be because he had others who were almost as good on the same team.

Congrats to Donald and Shivy.

Shivy is a great guy and well deserving.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one where we disagree, Tadvols. I think Smith was pretty clearly the best back in the state in 2006. He was nearly Rogan's equal as a ball carrier and he was far more dangerous than Rogan receiving out of the backfield. Rogan is a great ball carrier and a terrific player, but Smith was the best back overall. Add to that his tremendous defensive ability ---not that Rogan is any defensive sloutch---and Smith is the top back in 3A.

My hope is that they end up as teammates next year. Good luck to Mr. Rogan and the Falcons this weekend! :thumb:

Sorry Hoya, and I usually agree w/you but, not here. If Rogan had the opportunities that Smith had receiving, Rogan would outshine Smith. I think PC would vouch for that after last week. If you put Smith in the I vs Rogan in a Veer, Rogan comes out ahead. Smith is absolutely a better DB. Both great prospects. I hope they both find their way to UT. They will both be missed.

Sorry Hoya, and I usually agree w/you but, not here. If Rogan had the opportunities that Smith had receiving, Rogan would outshine Smith. I think PC would vouch for that after last week. If you put Smith in the I vs Rogan in a Veer, Rogan comes out ahead. Smith is absolutely a better DB. Both great prospects. I hope they both find their way to UT. They will both be missed.

Ah, but ruse?, Smith was in the Veer and Rogan was in the I so we will never know. Moreover, Smith absolutely killed teams with his receiving---most notably Fulton in the first game. Maybe Rogan could have matched Smith in receiving, but it's impossible to know because, for whatever reason, the Falcons didn't throw to him. It's not Dennis Rogan's fault that he wasn't exploited as a pass catcher and he certainly is an absolutely outstanding player. I'm just saying that when you look at each of their accomplishments this season, I think Smith had the edge.

Ah, but ruse?, Smith was in the Veer and Rogan was in the I so we will never know. Moreover, Smith absolutely killed teams with his receiving---most notably Fulton in the first game. Maybe Rogan could have matched Smith in receiving, but it's impossible to know because, for whatever reason, the Falcons didn't throw to him. It's not Dennis Rogan's fault that he wasn't exploited as a pass catcher and he certainly is an absolutely outstanding player. I'm just saying that when you look at each of their accomplishments this season, I think Smith had the edge.

hoya75.

Points well taken. No "coulda, shouldas" then. Rogan outrushed Smith by about 700 yds. Rogan/Smith even in receiving yds, and tackles/ints. They have simmilar competition (in region). Out of Region close. Fulton has Alcoa, and I know Webb ain't Alcoa, but they are a B!+?$ to play for anybody. Both players clearly represented their schools, families, and themselves exceptionally. THE difference in "looking at their accomplishments this season" is that Rogan and his team are still looking forward, while Smith and his are only looking back on the memories of 06.

hoya75.

Points well taken. No "coulda, shouldas" then. Rogan outrushed Smith by about 700 yds. Rogan/Smith even in receiving yds, and tackles/ints. They have simmilar competition (in region). Out of Region close. Fulton has Alcoa, and I know Webb ain't Alcoa, but they are a B!+?$ to play for anybody. Both players clearly represented their schools, families, and themselves exceptionally. THE difference in "looking at their accomplishments this season" is that Rogan and his team are still looking forward, while Smith and his are only looking back on the memories of 06.

As for stats, according to the Knoxville News-Sentinel, their stats for 10 games are:

Rogan --- Smith

Carries: 225 --- 123

Rush Yds.: 1,752 --- 1,203

Yd./Carry: 7.8 --- 9.8

TDs Rush.: 29 --- 19

Receptions: 13 --- 19

Rec. Yds. 135 --- 343

Yds./ Catch 10.4 --- 18.1

TDs Receiving 1 --- 3

Smith had over 100 fewer carries than Rogan with a nearly 25% higher yds./carry average. In receiving, Smith's per catch average is nearly double Rogan's.

Don't get me wrong, I would want either (and preferably both) on my team. I'm just of the opinion that Smith was the better back of the two this year. At his average, had he carried as often as Rogan, Smith would have gained over 2,200 yards in addition to averaging over 18 yards every time he caught a pass. Those are the stats. The only real edge going to Rogan is TD's. Fulton really relied on Rogan to score while Catholic spread the scoring around a bit more than the Falcons.

Both were excellent and, most important, Rogan is still playing. I bet you Harrison would trade. :thumb: