Is the Maryville Hillsboro Winner the best team in state?

coachjohn

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows? With so few head-to-head games or even common opponents it's impossible to tell. Looking at different ranking services around the state and country, either subjective or computer driven, you can get several different answers. I think the answer given by CoachKerplunk says it all about our individual prejudices and opinions.

One thing that can be said for sure is that the winner in each class/division has a legitimate claim to being the best in that class/division. Beyond that it's all speculative.

So speculate, I know we can't reach a definative conclusion but I am interested in what people think. Does anyone think Brentwood Academy has already proven to be the best team in TN for 2006?

14-0 Maryville plays 14-0 Hillsboro on Saturday. Is it possible that the 4A state champion is the best team in the state regadless of classification? I would like to hear from the 5A and division 2 teams.

Nope...all it means is that the winner is the best 4A team in Tennessee....period

If they need to be the best team in the state...they need to move up and play with the big boys....if the Maryville School web site is accurate...their student size numbers are 5A now...so it looks like Maryville is a 5A school playing in 4A.....

That doesn't mean play one big game against an OR and make a claim....that does mean the games like South Doyle, Powel, Heritage, West, Halls, and Lenoir City...are history......the new schedule will include the ORs, the DBs, the Owls, Bentwood, Franklin, BA, McCallie, Ridgeway, White Station, Germantown, Ravenwood, Smyrna, Riverdale, Gallatin types.......every Firiday night...........and there goes the no loss seasons................and that absurd claim!

I think it is fair to say that games involving the two 4A teams and two 5A teams would be competitive. At least that is the way I see it. I don't think it is fair to any team to declare them a loser vs another team in what amounts to an imaginary game. So I will just say all four of these teams could obviously compete with each other. Everyone has opinions on who is best but it lacks definitiveness without the game actually being played.

Nope...all it means is that the winner is the best 4A team in Tennessee....period

If they need to be the best team in the state...they need to move up and play with the big boys....if the Maryville School web site is accurate...their student size numbers are 5A now...so it looks like Maryville is a 5A school playing in 4A.....

That doesn't mean play one big game against an OR and make a claim....that does mean the games like South Doyle, Powel, Heritage, West, Halls, and Lenoir City...are history......the new schedule will include the ORs, the DBs, the Owls, Bentwood, Franklin, BA, McCallie, Ridgeway, White Station, Germantown, Ravenwood, Smyrna, Riverdale, Gallatin types.......every Firiday night...........and there goes the no loss seasons................and that absurd claim!

First off see my previous post for my opinion on this thread. Where I will disagree with you is 5A being the "big boys" compared to 4A. That theory just doesn't wash when the difference in enrollment could be 100 students or less. Just curious but did Ravenwood play that entire list of heavy weights you listed? Some of them are Div II privates. Alcoa beat McCallie, McCallie beat Riverdale, Maryville beat Alcoa. Does that mean that Maryville would beat ALL of those schools? No, I am not saying that but they could certainly compete with them and have the ability to beat them. That is all I am saying. Your threory that 100 students extra here or there, half or more of which could be females, suddenly transforms a team/school into more of powerhouse because it pushes them up a division is just as absurd a claim in my opinion.

Edited by mhs

Trust me! Maryville is the BEST team in the state regardless of classification. They make everyone look like middle school teams. Hillsboro has no chancce. Believe me this also.....the only ones who are going to benefit from Maryville moving up is the 4A schools. Maryville will dominate 5A as well. Too much talent.

Have you actually seen Hillsboro play this year?