Is the Maryville Hillsboro Winner the best team in state?

coachjohn

I continue to be amazed at how people debate on whether or not a school that has a smaller enrollment can "possibly" be better than a school in a higher classification. Does anyone know how many players can be on a field at one time? That is right class eleven. The best team will come out of the 4A championship game and that team will be Maryville the 24th rated team in the country. Guys quit getting hung up on classification. Earlier this year 2A Alcoa beat Chattanooga Mccallie the size of a 4A school even though they play in the private classifications and last year Alcoa beat 3A finalist Fulton while Fulton returned the favor in a nail biter this year. It still eleven players versus eleven players and Maryville could clean house this year in any classification. Some time down the road this will change as football has it's cycles like life. Yes I see the point that bigger schools have more possibilities to have more players and the law of averages says there will be more talent within that gene pool but enrollment does not take into account the intangibles like coaching, player talent, football philosophies, and community involvement. It is time to put this myth to a rest. Bigger does not necessarly better. At least not in football. :thumb:

Spoken like any true Maryville fan......well said! If Maryville played the same schedule as Smyrna..Ravenwood...Riverdale...White Station...Franklin....Gallatin..etc...their undefeated seasons would be just a pleasant memory.....which is why they stay where they are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a quiz....it's a beautiful Friday night.....and you get to choose who you play...this week...you get BA or South Doyle......next week...you get DB or Heritage...next week..you get Riverdale or West...next week...you get Ravenwood or Lenoir City....next week...you get the Owls or Powel....week...after week....after week

On any given night...Maryville may compete at any level...they're a terrific program.........but through the rigors of an entire 5A season...they don't hold up!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a quiz....it's a beautiful Friday night.....and you get to choose who you play...this week...you get BA or South Doyle......next week...you get DB or Heritage...next week..you get Riverdale or West...next week...you get Ravenwood or Lenoir City....next week...you get the Owls or Powel....week...after week....after week

RavenCat here's another quiz. Who in 5A scheduled BA, D-B, Riverdale, Ravenwood, and Ooltewah in the regular season, much less consecutive weeks?

I look forward to hearing your answer.

Edited by STARSNBARS

unapproved website.COM

Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

at Maryville (TN)

[2006] Maryville (TN) 28, [2006] Brentwood Academy (Brentwood, TN) 27

at Brentwood Academy (Brentwood, TN)

at neutral site

I would say that the winner is the best in state, even better than whoever wins 5A, and I believe this because I see Maryville winning it all, again. 5A is not some all powerful division that is far superior to a Maryville, so what if you have a bigger school if you are out coached and out disciplined. The depth is near the same. DB lost to WB, who Maryville beat. Ooltewah barely beat WB, and I could not see Maryville losing to them. Riverdale lost to McCallie, who lost to Alcoa, who Maryville beat. Looking at head to head matchups I see no reason to believe Maryville is not the best. National polls are subjective but is their one with a 5A TN team above Maryville.

Wow this topic is downright retarded, some of you are trying to say that 5A are "the big boys." Sorry but that is a joke I am impressed by some 5A teams but I also say the same about 3A. A ton of talent comes out of this class and personally *just an opinion* I think that teams like Fulton and Catholic could compete and maybe go to state in 5A. The only thing that 5A means is that you got more students in your school, doesn't mean you have more talen ;-p

As far as Maryville goes, they aren't nationally ranked for no reason.... they are obviously good or else they wouldn't be. The bottom line is there are top tier teams in every class, whether it be Smyrna, Ravenwood, Maryville, Hillsboro, Fulton, Catholic, Alcoa, Goodpasture, or any other team in other classifications. The fact is you will never know who the "Best team in the state is," until they implement some sort of post play off game.

...or 12th or 40th or unranked, depending on which poll you want to drag into this. I think we all like the poll that has our team ranked the highest, don't we?

unapproved website has a compilation poll that averages out all polls nationally. Although its nice to see Maryville at #12 in the Tony Poll, I put more stock in the compilation, which has Maryville at #21 or 22. And even that's only if you put stock in ANY high school football poll. The only thing I can say for sure is that Maryville has been the best team the past few years in 4A. We can't even say for sure that they are the best team this year until after the game is played Sat. I think, based on what I've seen, that they probably are the best in the state. However, I haven't seen some other teams, and it is very possible that they are better.

As far as 5A . . . It's ridiculous to keep harping on 4A and heralding 5A as the "big boys" Remember the William Blount game? It wasn't even close, and probably could have been much worse. That was the same WB team that beat DB, that played Ooltewah and Farragut close in the regular season. That Ooltewah team that escaped WB barely lost in a road game to a team playing in the 5A final. I will concede one point, I think the level of competition in 5A is higher than week in and week out. However, Maryville is so far above the competition they've played that I still think they would be better. You would see some closer games, but not necessarily less wins. As luck would have it, Maryville will probably see a decline in talent or coaching changes around when we move up. Then we'll have to hear "see we told you so..."etc. I think that the Maryville team this year and the champions in past years could easily compete on the state level, probably much stronger than the other 5A east teams.

First off see my previous post for my opinion on this thread. Where I will disagree with you is 5A being the "big boys" compared to 4A. That theory just doesn't wash when the difference in enrollment could be 100 students or less. Just curious but did Ravenwood play that entire list of heavy weights you listed? Some of them are Div II privates. Alcoa beat McCallie, McCallie beat Riverdale, Maryville beat Alcoa. Does that mean that Maryville would beat ALL of those schools? No, I am not saying that but they could certainly compete with them and have the ability to beat them. That is all I am saying. Your threory that 100 students extra here or there, half or more of which could be females, suddenly transforms a team/school into more of powerhouse because it pushes them up a division is just as absurd a claim in my opinion.

They played about holf of them...won some and lost some....but that wasn't my point..........my point is simply this....the 4A path to the State Championship is not at all like the path to the 5A Championship....that 4 point win against 4th seed Brainerd.....if that had been 4th seed Ravenwood instead...and Maryville played the same game...they'd have likely been blown out.

If we were only talking about 100 kids...you'd be right....but most 5A schools aren't 1500...they're 1500 up to 2700..2800.....a higher percentage of these schools have better coaches....more booster money...more community support...bigger weight rooms...bigger talent to pick from....more depth of talent....etc...

The only way Maryville can make any claim...move up and play a full 5A schedule every year...not just a 5A team or an occasional private here and there...then we'll all KNOW!

They played about holf of them...won some and lost some....but that wasn't my point..........my point is simply this....the 4A path to the State Championship is not at all like the path to the 5A Championship....that 4 point win against 4th seed Brainerd.....if that had been 4th seed Ravenwood instead...and Maryville played the same game...they'd have likely been blown out.

If we were only talking about 100 kids...you'd be right....but most 5A schools aren't 1500...they're 1500 up to 2700..2800.....a higher percentage of these schools have better coaches....more booster money...more community support...bigger weight rooms...bigger talent to pick from....more depth of talent....etc...

The only way Maryville can make any claim...move up and play a full 5A schedule every year...not just a 5A team or an occasional private here and there...then we'll all KNOW!

Ravenwood didn't exactly blow out anybody during their playoff run did they? Every team has a down game at some point. The POINT IS . . .when Maryville has a down game, they still Win. It seems when Ravenwood has a down game, they lose. I congratulate them on their obvious tenacity and clutch performances. Perhaps an even better indication of a good team is what they do after they lose. In this case, Maryville responded to the bad Brainerd game by soundly beating two teams who were both undefeated.

As far as the other things. Maryville has the best coaches in the area. They have booster money. They have community support. They have an outstanding weight room. Who needs talent to chose from when you can develop it better than anybody? They have incredible depth, as seen in their free substituion in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Finally, your premise is only valid about making a claim if you assume that 5A is inherently, definitively, and measureably better than 4A. In Middle Tennessee, Maybe, in East TN, definitely not. And even if Maryville moved up and won in 5A three years in a row we STILL wouldn't know who the best team in the state is by the above standard.

Look at the post above you...Maryville is a nationally ranked team :lol:

Are rankings ever wrong, Why yes. Maryville is as fine a program as one will see, I do not know with what process a natioanl ranking is made but it has been obvious to me watching the BCS that this ranking business is a joke. Maryville giht need to be placed against a Brentwood Academy and the winner of the 5a game before I could agree with them being the best in the state. that is like saying pound for pound, someone is a better boxer well that is not how they are fought, if Maryville wants to be considered the big boy, then simply play up to 5a.

there is a reason for classifications, as there is for weight classes in boxing, and if you are too stupid to understand that then go to a single A game and then to a 5a game. Or lets say a feather weight boxing match and a Heavy weight boxing match.

I would say that the winner is the best in state, even better than whoever wins 5A, and I believe this because I see Maryville winning it all, again. 5A is not some all powerful division that is far superior to a Maryville, so what if you have a bigger school if you are out coached and out disciplined. The depth is near the same. DB lost to WB, who Maryville beat. Ooltewah barely beat WB, and I could not see Maryville losing to them. Riverdale lost to McCallie, who lost to Alcoa, who Maryville beat. Looking at head to head matchups I see no reason to believe Maryville is not the best. National polls are subjective but is their one with a 5A TN team above Maryville.

First of all whoever said that Maryville makes everyone look like middle school teams need to remember two games---M 17 Alcoa 14 and M 30 Brainard 26. So by your logic Maryville must also look like a middle school team that is just barely better than these two schools.

Second---this whole argument doesnt mean anything at all. Its all speculation and opinions. My opinion is that I dont care. Whichever team wins will be the best team that night in that game. Are they better than the Ravenwood/ Smyrna game. Who knows? Are they better than BA? I would say that if any of these school played each other ten times the results would be 50-50. Sure Maryville is good but they havent exactly played the hardest of schedules either. Put them in region 6 5A and see how many of your gold balls they have. Or put them in Rutherford Co. and see how many they have.

RavenCat here's another quiz. Who in 5A scheduled BA, D-B, Riverdale, Ravenwood, and Ooltewah in the regular season, much less consecutive weeks?

I look forward to hearing your answer.

No one...that wasn't the point...the point was...to play through an entire 5A season including the playoffs....these are the type of teams you would need to go through every week...Smyrna played Ravenwood, Riverdale in the regular season...they have to go through Riverdale...Ooltewah...and Ravenwood in consecutive weeks to win state..........Ravenwood played Franklin, Brentwood, BA, and Smyrna in the regular season...and have to go through Gallatin..Hunters Lane...White Station...and Smyrna to win state................

Other than Hillsboro and Alcoa (and they don't count to state since they're 2A)...I don't see any teams of this calliber anywhere on the Maryville schedule