Black Horse final results

CoachDelgado

Where are you from in ohio? I'm living the better part of my in Cincinnati and helped out with Bethel-Tate a couple years back.

We lived in Mason ohio (17 miles north of Cincinnati) for 5 years and then moved to Lebanon ohio (30 miles north) and lived there for 7 years...

i am familiar with bethel tate but do not know anyone there...we were fortunate to have a great kids club team in Lebanon when our boys started wrestlin in 1st grade

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused, soms. What's the question? (Or was that a "huh?" of surprise rather than question?)

Brendan Prince (Grissom) d. Brandon Wright (Houston), 6-4 in OT

Brendan's older brother Jonathan was at Cumberland but transferred to Arizona State this year. Their younger brother Ryan is the 125 for Grissom.

Not sure if that answered your "huh?", but that's the best I can do.

:thumb:

They have wrestled 4 times, always close matches. Wright won the previous 3 matches. Prince won this one. Prince is one of the best wrestlers in Alabama.

I think Demetrius Johnson should have gotten OW. He dominated against better competition. No one will come close to him this year. I think he is the best wrestler in the state.

a little birdy told me cardinal "d" got some votes but 215 was late in the tourney, right before the vote. mba ben pinned his dude in under a minute in the final. this caused people to look at his "body of work" for the tourney, which was two pins in under two minutes and two pins in under one minute, err go, pretty inpressive, even if the rest of the weight class was a bunch of stiffs. :thumb:

189 lbs WILL STALL - BM defeated ZACH GORDON - MUS by DQ (4 penalties for stalling, 1 delay of match)

WTF? I have heard some positive rumors about Zach this year. He seemed to have an easy go of it until the finals. What the heck happened?.....5 warnings?

Stove,

I wouldn't worry about that one, I think the positive rumors you have heard are more along the lines of the correct story. After a long talk with Zach's coach (and knowing the kid pretty well) I won't go into the details of what happened but will give you a quick summary. Let's just suffice it to say that Zach was asking for injury time which the ref refused to give to him. The ref then quickly tossed out the stalling calls and ended the match. I think it all stemmed from a blood soaked tissues getting too deep in Gordon's nose. I believe that the match had been very close until this point...

SBA,

How bad were the officials? The rumor on the street is that out of town official were far superior but that didn't sit well with the Memphis coaches and Memphis officials because they were not use to how other regions of the state officiate.

Edited by cbg

SBA,

How bad were the officials? The rumor on the street is that out of town official were far superior but that didn't sit well with the Memphis coaches and Memphis officials because they were not use to how other regions of the state officiate.

CBG,

Honestly I thought the officiating was pretty good as a whole. I did not hear of any complaints about the out-of-town referee's specifically... there was certainly the same old complaints about all refs (justified or not) but I didn't see any specific refs beign called out. Actually, I will say that I know some concerns were expressed over the affiliation of a certain referee but I don't think the situation ever came up where this was tested.

I actually think the officiating was much better as the tournament organizers made an effort (by bringing in out-of-towners) to be sure that the bottom-of-the-barrell Memphis refs weren't used (and yes we have a couple awful ones, who I luckily haven't seen this year). They also did a good job of having plenty of referee's on hand (I think 8 both days, maybe more the second day) so that the ref's got a break and that 2-man mechanics were in use during the medla matches.

I still think stalling as a whole was not called as often as it could / should have been (the out of town officials included).

I can not itterate enough how much I hate the way that we allow people to play the edge and use it is a line of defense (yes some of my own kids are probably guilty of this too, ding them if so). But I will say I did see at least one fleeing the mat call and it was a pivotal call in the finals. Bravo to the ref for making the call!

The only truly blown call that I can remember seeing was in the 160lb finals when Ryan Prince (Grissom) took Brandon Wright (Houston) down and should have won the match. Supporting points were in bounds more than enough for the people in the top of the gymn to see and everyone in the house knew it was a takedown. This was very evidently a case where the referee was afraid to make the call (and this one was very obvious from my vantage point, not 5 feet from the takedown as I was prepping one of my wrestlers on the side). This didn't surprise me as I had talked with that same referee at a youth tournament earlier in the morning and we talked about how he was reffing (he is very obviously new but doing a good job and most importantly wanting to learn and take advice). It was easily a case where he was just too afraid to make the call. I was honeslty quite surprised to see him as the main referee during that match earlier when I had noticed it. Thankfully (and sadly as I was pulling for Brandon but always prefer to see the right thing happen) Prince completed a beautiful takedown at the restart to secure the win. I think everyone had this match pegged as the Best Match of the tournament before we even got rolling and it didn't disappoint. Those two are extremely slick on their feet!

Ok wow that got long. Let me reiterate by saying that I feel like the reffing was good overall from what I saw. Now I will also say I missed 2 rounds of consolations and most of the semi-finals coaching a youth tournament that morning but I would assume my observations from the rest of both day's holds true even during that time span.

Hope that answers your question.

Edited by WrestleSBA

I'm confused, soms. What's the question? (Or was that a "huh?" of surprise rather than question?)

Brendan Prince (Grissom) d. Brandon Wright (Houston), 6-4 in OT

Brendan's older brother Jonathan was at Cumberland but transferred to Arizona State this year. Their younger brother Ryan is the 125 for Grissom.

Not sure if that answered your "huh?", but that's the best I can do.

:thumb:

Is this the same kid that Creagan pinned last year at the cleveland duals??

CBG,

Honestly I thought the officiating was pretty good as a whole. I did not hear of any complaints about the out-of-town referee's specifically... there was certainly the same old complaints about all refs (justified or not) but I didn't see any specific refs beign called out. Actually, I will say that I know some concerns were expressed over the affiliation of a certain referee but I don't think the situation ever came up where this was tested.

I actually think the officiating was much better as the tournament organizers made an effort (by bringing in out-of-towners) to be sure that the bottom-of-the-barrell Memphis refs weren't used (and yes we have a couple awful ones, who I luckily haven't seen this year). They also did a good job of having plenty of referee's on hand (I think 8 both days, maybe more the second day) so that the ref's got a break and that 2-man mechanics were in use during the medla matches.

I still think stalling as a whole was not called as often as it could / should have been (the out of town officials included).

I can not itterate enough how much I hate the way that we allow people to play the edge and use it is a line of defense (yes some of my own kids are probably guilty of this too, ding them if so). But I will say I did see at least one fleeing the mat call and it was a pivotal call in the finals. Bravo to the ref for making the call!

The only truly blown call that I can remember seeing was in the 160lb finals when Ryan Prince (Grissom) took Brandon Wright (Houston) down and should have won the match. Supporting points were in bounds more than enough for the people in the top of the gymn to see and everyone in the house knew it was a takedown. This was very evidently a case where the referee was afraid to make the call (and this one was very obvious from my vantage point, not 5 feet from the takedown as I was prepping one of my wrestlers on the side). This didn't surprise me as I had talked with that same referee at a youth tournament earlier in the morning and we talked about how he was reffing (he is very obviously new but doing a good job and most importantly wanting to learn and take advice). It was easily a case where he was just too afraid to make the call. I was honeslty quite surprised to see him as the main referee during that match earlier when I had noticed it. Thankfully (and sadly as I was pulling for Brandon but always prefer to see the right thing happen) Prince completed a beautiful takedown at the restart to secure the win. I think everyone had this match pegged as the Best Match of the tournament before we even got rolling and it didn't disappoint. Those two are extremely slick on their feet!

Ok wow that got long. Let me reiterate by saying that I feel like the reffing was good overall from what I saw. Now I will also say I missed 2 rounds of consolations and most of the semi-finals coaching a youth tournament that morning but I would assume my observations from the rest of both day's holds true even during that time span.

Hope that answers your question.

It looked like a takedown. However, Wright DID have a whizzer (sp?) in. The call would've been a takedown in any other match, but it certainly was not a "bad" or "blown" call. It was just a close call that would've been made the same had the wrestlers been reversed.