TSSAA officals

billybobbasketball

The new techincal rule has to be enforced. If it's not enforced, we'll never get rid of it! It's the officials job to enforce it and the coaches job to complain to TSSAA and the NFHS about it.

I was a spectator at a game Friday night and I too hollered @ the refs. Some hollering is good. It's like blowing your horn. Blowing your horn keeps you safe and lets the other moron driving know they need to pay better attention.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a current coach and former referee, I understand both sides. As a ref, it is very difficult to be perfect in all your calls. You are going to miss many during a night. But as it was stated before, if you hustle and are in position to make the calls, coaches will get over a bad call.

As a coach now, it is very difficult to keep my mouth shut when the Points of Emphasis articles are being ignored. When the state tells the coaches that shirt tales are to be kept in or the player will be replaced, or if a player impedes progress of play by delaying the game for touching the ball after a scored basket it is a warning for all infractions and the next one will be a Technical Foul, and the referees are not enforcing these, I do have a problem with that. Some associations are enforcing these, most are not. The Tri-Cities association have not enforced either in the last two weeks after playing in two tournaments up there. After asking an official last night, in another association, about delay of game warning for touching the ball after a made basket, his response was 'What are you talking about coach'? Obviously he was not going to enforce it. The other big problem I have is a block / charge no call. If a there is contact and bodies hit the floor, it is either a block or a charge. If I am teaching my players to stay in there for the contact, and there is a 'no call', my players are wondering why they are doing what their coach is telling them to do.

The referees do have a thankless job. I know, I've been there. If they make a bad call, oh well, they are human. They should at least hustle up and down the floor, and enforce the rules of the game though.

The officials do have a hard job........HOWEVER, I have already watched some overly sensitive officials this year give Coach Pope at Cascade and his champs some bogus calls because they were too quick with the whistle. This is an emotional game and the officials have somehow forgotten that. They worry more about what the players are wearing than how the game is being played.

I don't think anyone in their right mind expects officials to be perfect. Now is it to much asking them to get it right 75 to 80 percent of the time? A tough job in any company would expect that or replace you. And if it wasn't for the fans heckling them, then some calls would never get made. I'll admit to being one of those to yell out for a 3 or 5 second call, only to watch the official start to count. He must have been looking at the players shirt tale instead. I watched two kids go into the stands fighting each other last year, and no call was made. The official didn't even sit either guy down. But they want to sit someone down because his shirt tale came untucked. You can't put all the blame on the officials. Some of it has to go to the TSSAA. They want to emphasize certain rules every year, but do they ever emphasize that officials improve any? A few bad calls here and there are expected, and won't effect the game. But when you call a foul on a guy 4 feet from a player shooting a last second shot in a 1 point ball game, that can effect the outcome of a game. No one is asking for perfection, just that some of these guys quit guessing out there and watch whats going on.

i must say i understand officials and the angles they can or can't see..there should be a stupid fan thread cause there are plenty in certain gyms..and there's no shortage of bad coaches either. However i will maintain the fact that I have seen consistantly horrible officiating from the same refs. and that my friends is no mistake.

Edited by Hoops1stLuv14

I ref. Go ahead, rip us. Life happens, then you die. Bad calls happen. Look at my signature, I understand that. Good teams can overcome the bad calls. Why don't we have a thread about bad coaches (already done and done and overdone)... what about a "stupid fan" thread? Here's one for all you who like to holler out "THREE SECONDS!! THREE SECONDS!! THREE SECONDS YOU M-F'ER!!"

Can someone fully explain to me the Three Second Rule?

three second rule? if a player drives in the lane..but passes the ball out and puts up a tent..thats probably 3 seconds..it a player is standing in the lane for one thousand..one 2 and 3 thats three seconds...if a player is shooting and his team mate is in the lane that is not three seconds..longas they are rebounding and sticking it baack...does that cover it?

Edited by Hoops1stLuv14

three second rule? if a player drives in the lane..but passes the ball out and puts up a tent..thats probably 3 seconds..it a player is standing in the lane for one thousand..one 2 and 3 thats three seconds...if a player is shooting and his team mate is in the lane that is not three seconds..longas they are rebounding and sticking it baack...does that cover it?

The main thing that most people don't get is that the count is reset on every shot attempt.

Funny this thread is up cause after last night I though about getting on here and blasting the refs at our game, guess just to feel better cause yes things will not change....I've ref'd in a rec league for over 10 years and yes it is hard but what I hate is to see a certain group of ref's that consistantly make bad calls or more over no calls...the group I'm referring to for those that may have attended the games is the South Fulton vs Westview game earlier this season and then again last night when South Fulton visited Bradford....These refs need to be pulled from the pool cause it's sad to know how hard these players work and then get officials like those gentlemen....they cost us a win last night and that's a fact, even the fans from Bradford were saying the same on the way out...guess they just don't like us

Edited by Shotgunqb

Funny this thread is up cause after last night I though about getting on here and blasting the refs at our game, guess just to feel better cause yes things will not change....I've ref'd in a rec league for over 10 years and yes it is hard but what I hate is to see a certain group of ref's that consistantly make bad calls or more over no calls...the group I'm referring to for those that may have attended the games is the South Fulton vs Westview game earlier this season and then again last night when South Fulton visited Bradford....These refs need to be pulled from the pool cause it's sad to know how hard these players work and then get officials like those gentlemen....they cost us a win last night and that's a fact, even the fans from Bradford were saying the same on the way out...guess they just don't like us

Dude, don't be a jerk.

Another win tonight for Henry County. Northwest had a nice team. Athletic and aggressive would be two words to describe that team, but they didn't outwork us tonight especially in the second half. Two good ballteams! I wish I could say the same for the officiating! Tonight was a first for me. Our guard tries to draw a charge underneath Northwests basket. Official blows the whistle as the ball falls through the hoop. One ref calls it a blocking foul, one ref calls a charge. They converse and the first ref goes to the table and calls the charge. The other ref promptly goes to the table and calls it a blocking foul and counts the basket. They converse some more and then decide to call a jump ball and the possession arrow favors NW. So in one possession we get two fouls, a score, and Nwest gets the ball back. I'm not one hundred percent sure but I don't think that is in the rule book! If I'm wrong someone tell me!

Thought this might be of interest.

Another win tonight for Henry County. Northwest had a nice team. Athletic and aggressive would be two words to describe that team, but they didn't outwork us tonight especially in the second half. Two good ballteams! I wish I could say the same for the officiating! Tonight was a first for me. Our guard tries to draw a charge underneath Northwests basket. Official blows the whistle as the ball falls through the hoop. One ref calls it a blocking foul, one ref calls a charge. They converse and the first ref goes to the table and calls the charge. The other ref promptly goes to the table and calls it a blocking foul and counts the basket. They converse some more and then decide to call a jump ball and the possession arrow favors NW. So in one possession we get two fouls, a score, and Nwest gets the ball back. I'm not one hundred percent sure but I don't think that is in the rule book! If I'm wrong someone tell me!

Thought this might be of interest.

That is the rule . Both fouls are recorded and you go to the possession arrow.