TSSAA officals

billybobbasketball

All too often we (coaches and fans) jump on refs who are doing their best. Human errors happen. Both reffing and coaching and playing. But occasionally ...

The William Blount girls were playing at Oak Ridge around Thanksgiving in a tournament. It was a Saturday game vs Marietta high. This one certain ref ... who sent one of our players out of the game because after he gave her a shirt warning he wasn't satisfied with how she tucked her shirt in -- t'ed up our coach because he said "you've got to be kidding me" after one of his girls was obviously hacked on a shot. Our coach asked to talk to the ref--very calmly--to find out why he was so quick to t him ... no warnings or anything. There was no bad langauage involved -- not stomping, just a very uncalled for "t". This referee just threw his hand up and refused to talk to our coach.

Some of the WB fans got on him some and then it became obvious he was prejudiced against WB. On once occasion, he watched while a Marietta girl punched one of our girls and he called nothing. Later, when a foul was called on a Marietta girl she went nuts ... I heard her "f" bomb in the bleachers ... she was standing right in front of this ref ... she continued to rant and rave, even though her own teammates were grabbing her and pulling her away and trying to get her to calm down. It was one of the worst displays of sportsmanship I've ever witnessed and this referee refused to call anything or even acknowledge what was going on. It was sad .. and it was why, sometimes, referees should have to answer to someone.

Is this a girl's thread?

I think most refs try to do a good job overall. Their job is tougher than any other and is very thankless. It is funny actually when you consider that every time they blow their whistle they upset half the people in the gym :thumb:

What bothers me more than bad refs are rednecked fans who have no class.

Even though it is not basketball the absolutely worse no call I have personally seen was when Temple played Friendship this season in football and a punt receiver for Friendship clearly signalled a fair catch, let the ball drop, picked it up and ran it for about fifty yards and not one ref would rule on it. When the Temple coaches were hollering about it, the refs just held their hands up as if to tell them to just be quiet.

The ball is live after it hits the turf. Is this a football thread though?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a girl's thread?

The ball is live after it hits the turf. Is this a football thread though?

No it is not a football thread and I indicated that in posting. I asked an official about it at the game who was not there officiating on the field and he said that if the player signals a fair catch then the return team cannot advance the football. It is dead wherever it is touched.

i must say i understand officials and the angles they can or can't see..there should be a stupid fan thread cause there are plenty in certain gyms..and there's no shortage of bad coaches either. However i will maintain the fact that I have seen consistantly horrible officiating from the same refs. and that my friends is no mistake.

I don't care what you say but to me it seems that know matter where ur at that the refs always seem to call more into the hoome teams hands ...... you could have the same refs at a riverdale siegel game at riverdale and they would call more for riverdale then the same refs at siegel and they call more for siegel idk if its just the pressure of them calling in the home teams house?

:lol:

I ref. Go ahead, rip us. Life happens, then you die. Bad calls happen. Look at my signature, I understand that. Good teams can overcome the bad calls. Why don't we have a thread about bad coaches (already done and done and overdone)... what about a "stupid fan" thread? Here's one for all you who like to holler out "THREE SECONDS!! THREE SECONDS!! THREE SECONDS YOU M-F'ER!!"

Can someone fully explain to me the Three Second Rule?

NOT TRUE :lol: ("a good team can overcome bad calls") I don't care how good u r, if the calls on u r bad enough and there is enough calls egnored on the other side, a GREAT team can lose to a poor team!!!

I don't care what you say but to me it seems that know matter where ur at that the refs always seem to call more into the hoome teams hands ...... you could have the same refs at a riverdale siegel game at riverdale and they would call more for riverdale then the same refs at siegel and they call more for siegel idk if its just the pressure of them calling in the home teams house?

You have got to b kidding!!! Some refs come into a game knowing who they want to win. And some of the worst refs r the ones frome that area calling games on there home cort.

i must say i understand officials and the angles they can or can't see..there should be a stupid fan thread cause there are plenty in certain gyms..and there's no shortage of bad coaches either. However i will maintain the fact that I have seen consistantly horrible officiating from the same refs. and that my friends is no mistake.

VERRY WELL SAID :lol:

All too often we (coaches and fans) jump on refs who are doing their best. Human errors happen. Both reffing and coaching and playing. But occasionally ...

The William Blount girls were playing at Oak Ridge around Thanksgiving in a tournament. It was a Saturday game vs Marietta high. This one certain ref ... who sent one of our players out of the game because after he gave her a shirt warning he wasn't satisfied with how she tucked her shirt in -- t'ed up our coach because he said "you've got to be kidding me" after one of his girls was obviously hacked on a shot. Our coach asked to talk to the ref--very calmly--to find out why he was so quick to t him ... no warnings or anything. There was no bad langauage involved -- not stomping, just a very uncalled for "t". This referee just threw his hand up and refused to talk to our coach.

Some of the WB fans got on him some and then it became obvious he was prejudiced against WB. On once occasion, he watched while a Marietta girl punched one of our girls and he called nothing. Later, when a foul was called on a Marietta girl she went nuts ... I heard her "f" bomb in the bleachers ... she was standing right in front of this ref ... she continued to rant and rave, even though her own teammates were grabbing her and pulling her away and trying to get her to calm down. It was one of the worst displays of sportsmanship I've ever witnessed and this referee refused to call anything or even acknowledge what was going on. It was sad .. and it was why, sometimes, referees should have to answer to someone.

Sorry u had to set through that. YES, they absolutely should have to answer for there obvious bad calls. I have seen that sort of ATHLETIC RAPE take place many times. As n the foobball game, Cherokee vs Volunteer (yes i said athletic rape!!!)

I think most refs try to do a good job overall. Their job is tougher than any other and is very thankless. It is funny actually when you consider that every time they blow their whistle they upset half the people in the gym :lol:

What bothers me more than bad refs are rednecked fans who have no class.

Even though it is not basketball the absolutely worse no call I have personally seen was when Temple played Friendship this season in football and a punt receiver for Friendship clearly signalled a fair catch, let the ball drop, picked it up and ran it for about fifty yards and not one ref would rule on it. When the Temple coaches were hollering about it, the refs just held their hands up as if to tell them to just be quiet.

Yes, u r right. Every time they make a call the opposing team, or the fans and coaches will b upset. There r a lot of fans out there that give all fans a bad name. But.....if the refs didn't make the OBVIOUS bad calls the fans wouldn't get so upset.

Ref jobs are harder than any to make everyone happy. You miss some you get some calls. I think by the whole they get most of the calls right. And i dont care about some fans that get mad for a ref making a right call. And i'm taking about something that goes not in our favor. I love basketball the only way i get mad at officiating is when the fouls are lopsided on the same team in both halfs. then i think that is just bad for the game because more than likely teams comit the same kind of fouls.

NO, some teams just foul a lot more, and they should b called for them. As n S.H. vs Cherokee. SH committed 10x the fouls and the calls that were made were about the same.

Being a current coach and former referee, I understand both sides. As a ref, it is very difficult to be perfect in all your calls. You are going to miss many during a night. But as it was stated before, if you hustle and are in position to make the calls, coaches will get over a bad call.

As a coach now, it is very difficult to keep my mouth shut when the Points of Emphasis articles are being ignored. When the state tells the coaches that shirt tales are to be kept in or the player will be replaced, or if a player impedes progress of play by delaying the game for touching the ball after a scored basket it is a warning for all infractions and the next one will be a Technical Foul, and the referees are not enforcing these, I do have a problem with that. Some associations are enforcing these, most are not. The Tri-Cities association have not enforced either in the last two weeks after playing in two tournaments up there. After asking an official last night, in another association, about delay of game warning for touching the ball after a made basket, his response was 'What are you talking about coach'? Obviously he was not going to enforce it. The other big problem I have is a block / charge no call. If a there is contact and bodies hit the floor, it is either a block or a charge. If I am teaching my players to stay in there for the contact, and there is a 'no call', my players are wondering why they are doing what their coach is telling them to do.

The referees do have a thankless job. I know, I've been there. If they make a bad call, oh well, they are human. They should at least hustle up and down the floor, and enforce the rules of the game though.

"IF THEY MAKE A BAD CALL, OH WELL, THEY ARE HUMAN"????? NO NOT "OH WELL" Some of these boys and girls r counting on these sports for there EDUCATION. If the refs have it out for a certian team, and yes it does happen. The colleges do not watch that team and therefor a good player is not noticed because of bad calls.