Boyd Buc 2007

reaction

I heard that the schedule had changed, but this is the 1st time I've actually seen it. I'm very encouraged by the changes!! I'm not making any predictions on how many victories - I'm just pleased that we will be playing teams that are more our level. It's very discouraging playing teams like Fulton, Baylor, Cookeville & Red Bank (still on) when you're only an average AA team. Hopefully, this schedule is a 2 year commitment.

The only receiver we need to be worried about replacing is Justin Headon since he is basically the only receiver we ever threw the ball to.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya i knew the lines would be experienced due to a lot of underclassmen playin a lot of minutes this year. Will help to have Cody back from injury also. He was a good TE but also heard he could play center as well. Will Guilly (sp) start at TB you think this year? He seems more of a scat back type player. If he hits the weight room, and works hard in the off season, i believe he could be a pretty good back. Nason at full back will be good to have back also. The question marks i have is WR and the secondary. Those are the big holes to fill i believe for 2007. Can't wait till fall!

Cody will be great to have back healthy. He would be our best TE, if the coaches play him there. He made some big plays as a sophomore, but was out hurt most of last year. Torn ACL then torn MCL. He has great hands. TB is still up for grabs, although Guiley is probably the front runner. There's been some speculation from fans about Jordan Nason at TB and big Seth Emery at FB. Those two would be a load to stop. McCord Bowen will probably be the fastest kid on the team had he not torn his ACL, MCL and miniscus. If he is back and healthy, he would be a good choice for TB also. There is a kid who I believe will be a sophomore next year they call TMac. He looks very promising for the future and might earn some playing time at TB also. WR & secondary, wow, how do you replace Headon and Darius?

I've watched a lot of Buc football over the years, this year especially. I agree with your comments about returning players, but i think you have missed something on defense. Although there are several quality kids ready to step up on D, it will be hard to replace the speed that will be lost, Blount and Nason at LB's, Hogan at DE and Headden and Jones in the secondary. i believe the replacements may have more size, but will be hard pressed to replace their speed.

Welcome oldbuc. Did you go to BB and if so did you play? Blount and Nason could play somewhere at the next level if they work hard. I think Blount will try to although Nason will probably play with that round ball somewhere. I'm not worried about the D-Line positions but Hogan will be missed, great kid and family. The secondary will be the hardest to replace, no doubt. Darius and Headon can run with anybody in the state. Both tall, fast and seniors. They will be greatly missed.

I heard that the schedule had changed, but this is the 1st time I've actually seen it. I'm very encouraged by the changes!! I'm not making any predictions on how many victories - I'm just pleased that we will be playing teams that are more our level. It's very discouraging playing teams like Fulton, Baylor, Cookeville & Red Bank (still on) when you're only an average AA team. Hopefully, this schedule is a 2 year commitment.

The only receiver we need to be worried about replacing is Justin Headon since he is basically the only receiver we ever threw the ball to.

Boyd has for many years played up on our non region games. The coaches feel it makes us better and so far they have been right. You have to remember that our HS enrollment is 330. Fulton is 900ish, Cookeville is 2,000ish and Red Bank is 1,200 ish. and Baylor is DII. During the 2002, 03 and 04 years we would have beaten Red Bank and probably Cookeville at least some of those years. We had Baylor on the ropes twice and let them off. You have to remember that every AA team we play is twice our enrollment. We are always outmaned and out athleted. It is just a question of how much. I would agree though, year in and year out we can't compete with those size schools. Don't be too down, we are defending Region champs our 2nd year in 2A. Tyner had not lost to a region opponent since WWI, or something like that. :)

Welcome oldbuc. Did you go to BB and if so did you play? Blount and Nason could play somewhere at the next level if they work hard. I think Blount will try to although Nason will probably play with that round ball somewhere. I'm not worried about the D-Line positions but Hogan will be missed, great kid and family. The secondary will be the hardest to replace, no doubt. Darius and Headon can run with anybody in the state. Both tall, fast and seniors. They will be greatly missed.

I did attend BBS and played when we did not have a high school. Tells you how long ago. Not to beat a dead horse, I think we all would agree that besides quality coaching and athletes, the one thing that sets Alcoa, Tyner, Fulton, and Red Bank apart is speed. Besides Gilley and Bowen (recovering knee) who gives us help at LB and DE with as much speed as those guys had? By the end of the season folks were running away from Blount, Nason and Hogan.

I did attend BBS and played when we did not have a high school. Tells you how long ago. Not to beat a dead horse, I think we all would agree that besides quality coaching and athletes, the one thing that sets Alcoa, Tyner, Fulton, and Red Bank apart is speed. Besides Gilley and Bowen (recovering knee) who gives us help at LB and DE with as much speed as those guys had? By the end of the season folks were running away from Blount, Nason and Hogan.

Well I'm pretty old myself. Graduated in 1980 and played on the 1st High School team. I think we won 6 games in my 4 years. What year did you leave the Middle school and move on the HS? I feel like we have as good of a coaching staff as there is for a school our size. We have good athletes, but not the depth those larger schools have. We usually have 9 or 10 seniors and those teams field 30-50. Honestly, I don't know who will step up and play those positions. I don't see anyone on the team with Headon or Darius Jones speed. Again, how do you replace Hogan, Blount and Nason? You can't. I do have faith our very experinced coaching staff will put the pieces together and we'll have a quality program again next year.

Ya the LB's will be missed, but i do not think it will be that big of a jump off as it was when we lost Matt Henley. I still think the biggest queston marks are secondary on D.

I agree 100%. Secondary is my biggest concern. As far as Line Backers, We have several linemen that could be moved back to that spot. Most of our D Line is very fast. Cody Thomas could play LB or DE. Same for Alex Burroughs or Alex Willoughby. A kid with a lot of promise who is just a sophomore is Jake Lockert who could possibly step up. There are some Seniors to-be that have had limited playing time that will step up next year.

I agree 100%. Secondary is my biggest concern. As far as Line Backers, We have several linemen that could be moved back to that spot. Most of our D Line is very fast. Cody Thomas could play LB or DE. Same for Alex Burroughs or Alex Willoughby. A kid with a lot of promise who is just a sophomore is Jake Lockert who could possibly step up. There are some Seniors to-be that have had limited playing time that will step up next year.

Exactly we think alike. I was thinkin Cody Thomas could be a very good LB. He is a hard nosed player. Plays with a lot of intensity. Oh ya incase you didn't know today was my bday. :)