Top 10 Southeast regional Rankings

RMC

Another problem that I see with middle school wrestling is the coaching. I know that it's not like this everywhere, but in our particular case the middle school coach was there for a paycheck and that's it. When my kids went to middle school he would suggest "we'll cut out all of the waterbreaks and get out of here by 4." Many of our incoming freshmen show up knowing nothing and we have to spend alot of time breaking bad habits. We also lose many of them after the first two days because they have never been through a real practice and it is a shock to them. If we didn't have Rabbit and the kids club, we would be screwed.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tojo, it was not that way when Coach Ryan still had the middle school. You know how he was. If you think the HS football team worked hard, you should have seen the MS wrestling practice. They were in shape in the 3rd period and that won many matches for my son for sure!!! ......Why cant Rabbit run SDMS?????????????

You are right about Coach Ryan, but once he left there was nothing. And, if I am not wrong, most of those kids (including your son, I think) were products of the takedown club and many of those kids (like Joel, John Lane, etc.) were good athletes at whatever sport they played. AFter Coach Ryan there was nothing in the way of instruction.

Everyone in the community wants Rabbit at the middle school, but politics keeps him out. The middle school has a new coach this year and our other feeder now has Roger Vandergriff, so we are hoping for an improved working relationship that the kids can benefit from.

One last thing...I have some videos for you. I'll try to drop them off one day. You will LOVE them.

Yeah but when I wrestled in middle school we had quite a bit more time to wrestle and other states are the same way. Many parents are not able to sacrifice the extra time it takes to put a kid on the mat, when its much easier for there to be a 3 month middle school season like the old days. AAU and such can end up costing quite a bit in the long run as well as the travel time to wrestle in some of the better and bigger tourney. We have hamstrung the wrestlers in this state and put us behind many when it comes to middle school growth. JMHO

No the biggest prob with the middle schools is there is no set season. NAshville has early season. chatt has late seaon and east ten has another season. No one can get on the same page to get the state al together. But that is the reason we are behind GA and FLA.