Coaches Humiliating Players

papatiger

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many times I think things do get misconstrued. It's hard to make a judgement from outside when you do not know the exact situation. The coach may have been out of line, but on the other hand maybe that's the way that particular kid is best motivated. If a coach has a players respect, sometimes he can get on to them pretty harshly because they know that he cares for them and has their best interest in mind. I don't know about this particular situation but I also wouldn't be quick to jump to conclusions when it comes to bad mouthing coaches.

Jimmy j d miss,

I don't think you can motivate any high school player by berating him in front of the entire crowd. In our case, most are brained washed by a guy masquerading as a coach. The snake oil salesman himself has convinced most that allowing him to berate a student athlete before a large crowd that he really cares for them - hogwash! I have no problem with discipline, but discipline with respect. I will never agree that just because a man wears his Sunday suit to a game that he has the right to psychologically abuse a student athlete before a crowd and his peers. Think about this - a man that has never played the game , can only teach drivers education and has gym degree, you would allow him to determine who he can motivate with insults before a crowded gym? Giving a guy like this a license to be a psychologist over a young person in any situation (class room included) is insanity. What is insidious about this is that I have seen a coach psychologically rape a player, destroying his confidence, so he can promote other less deserving players. High School basketball is an odd duck in a way because you have many good coaches that truly care about the game and players. They obviously don't do it for the money, but the love of the game. But on the other hand because of the pay, some guys weasel there way in on "smoke and mirrors" and can do some real damage. You know the old saying "what comes around, goes around", in this is case, it really came around in a sad way. The Jimmy I know was truly a good ball player with a huge amount of heart and a bsolutely loved the game. Because of the resources available to him, I will always wonder if he ever reached his peak as a player.

Jimmy j d miss,

I don't think you can motivate any high school player by berating him in front of the entire crowd. In our case, most are brained washed by a guy masquerading as a coach. The snake oil salesman himself has convinced most that allowing him to berate a student athlete before a large crowd that he really cares for them - hogwash! I have no problem with discipline, but discipline with respect. I will never agree that just because a man wears his Sunday suit to a game that he has the right to psychologically abuse a student athlete before a crowd and his peers. Think about this - a man that has never played the game , can only teach drivers education and has gym degree, you would allow him to determine who he can motivate with insults before a crowded gym? Giving a guy like this a license to be a psychologist over a young person in any situation (class room included) is insanity. What is insidious about this is that I have seen a coach psychologically rape a player, destroying his confidence, so he can promote other less deserving players. High School basketball is an odd duck in a way because you have many good coaches that truly care about the game and players. They obviously don't do it for the money, but the love of the game. But on the other hand because of the pay, some guys weasel there way in on "smoke and mirrors" and can do some real damage. You know the old saying "what comes around, goes around", in this is case, it really came around in a sad way. The Jimmy I know was truly a good ball player with a huge amount of heart and a bsolutely loved the game. Because of the resources available to him, I will always wonder if he ever reached his peak as a player.

Respect is a two way street. Some coaches earn it and deserve it and others don't.

Coaches that humiliate their players are poor examples. One school recently had a coach removed for foul language directed at a player. How many more should be removed for their psychological attacks as mentioned above? In most cases it won't happen because the AD's are manipulated by the same people that control the coaches.

A coach should be a teacher of the game. There is a place for discipline and it is practice. You will be more productive as a coach by being positive. Coaches are a representative to the school they coach.

well said.............they also should set an example for how their players should handle adverse situations..........coaches, ad's, administrators and parents expect players to behave in an acceptable manner..........i don't think it is too much to ask for coaches to behave in an honorable and acceptable manner as well............that being said their is a difference in getting onto a player with the intention of getting the desired results out of said player and dogging players out because things are not going the way a coach expects...........coaches should be respected just as game officials should.........it's not too much to ask for a coach to respect his players as well though

Respect is a two way street. Some coaches earn it and deserve it and others don't.

Coaches that humiliate their players are poor examples. One school recently had a coach removed for foul language directed at a player. How many more should be removed for their psychological attacks as mentioned above? In most cases it won't happen because the AD's are manipulated by the same people that control the coaches.

From what I see, we have two separate systems in our city. We have leaders in our city school system that demand respect and high integrity from the coaches to the teachers. Our high school system is entirely different. The board and principal have done some real zany things in the past that would make you blow your mind. Like I said, give a drivers education teacher license to be a psychologist and some real damage can happen to those around him.

Edited by hackashaq

Jimmy j d miss,

Jimmy J D Miss - no reply?

Jimmy Just Doesn't Miss,

In light of the Ooltewahs coach great mistake on humiliating his own players and justly losing his job, what do you think about a coach that can deceptively take down a kid before a crowd and get away with it? Some have it down to an art form. You can rip a kid a part before a crowd and keep your job. If you can just hold your tongue and not say the n word, you can get away with some real nasty stuff. I am not sure which is more sad, weak minded people (teachers, administrators, etc.) that allow coaches to berate their players openly before a crowd or coaches that openly say the n word - to me there is NO DIFFERENCE.... every player deserves respect from the coach - teacher and administrators. JJ doesn't miss, I am still interested in hearing more of your comments on this subject....

Edited by hackashaq

Jimmy Just Doesn't Miss,

In light of the Ooltewahs coach great mistake on humiliating his own players and justly losing his job, what do you think about a coach that can deceptively take down a kid before a crowd and get away with it? Some have it down to an art form. You can rip a kid a part before a crowd and keep your job. If you can just hold your tongue and not say the n word, you can get away with some real nasty stuff. I am not sure which is more sad, weak minded people (teachers, administrators, etc.) that allow coaches to berate their players openly before a crowd or coaches that openly say the n word - to me there is NO DIFFERENCE.... every player deserves respect from the coach - teacher and administrators. JJ doesn't miss, I am still interested in hearing more of your comments on this subject....

A lot of the high school coaches today worry about how they look. They forget it is all about the kids. To be a coach you have to have the right personality. Now this is for high school. You have to be willing to spend extra time with kids to improve their game. How many coaches today do you see working with kids after practice. You have to be a teacher of the game. I have heard coaches talking with other coaches and all they talk about is themselves. I havent seen to many coaches in high school today actually coach the game. Most of the coaches if a kid makes one mistake they take them out yell and scream and what does that accomplish. Well it makes the player not want the ball because if they make a mistake they know they will come out. I could go on all day but if you want to coach the game you have to understand it and know how to teach it.

The ABSOLUTE number one problem is not with coaches berating players, it is with the children and parents of 2007 having absolutly NO respect for authority. Coaching and playing is a public matter, a kid screws up in public, he gets punished in public more times than not. When it comes physical that is when it becomes a problem. As many have seen with the retiring of Bill Parcells in the NFL, the old-school type of coaches are getting phased out and now we are catering to the players. (i.e. the thug of T.O.)

Also, a big double standard is if a coach makes a mistake, he is chastised either in the media, definitely in the stands, and on message boards. Is that wrong for a coach to be berated then? We are told no, that coaches know what they are getting in to. And yes we do, but why can we not expect the same out of our players? We wonder why some kids after they get out of school can not hold a job or finish anything they start. If they can't simply follow the rules and do a little hard work in high school athletics, how are they going to succeed in life when they have a boss down their throat? Are they going to have their parents call the boss? The truth is we live in a soft society, and have a lot of high school kids that can't fight their own battles. Now I understand if it is getting racial, physical, or to the point to where the kid can not handle it on his or her own then parents should step in. If parents can't stand that, then pull your child out of the school and home-school them and prepare them yourself.

High school student aren't young adults, they are kids.

As a teacher I see very few, maybe 1 out of 50 kids I would call adults when they graduate. I don't care if they figured out how to reproduce, or how to join the miltary and get shot at or killed, or how to do a drive by and sell dope. These are kids! Not adult nor young adults. A 20 year old today doesn't even come close to the maturity of a 20 year old 50 years ago. Therefore they should be treated as they are kids. They should be respected and she be damanded that they be respectful.

My fault, hadn't read this thread in a while. Well you make a few good points. I wasn't at all saying that a coach should humilate players. But at the same time as a spectator you don't always get the true taste of the fruit. You may think that a coach yelling means he's humiliating a kid, when maybe he's just getting his attention. I agree there are bad coaches, Your quote "a man that has never played the game , can only teach drivers education and has gym degree, you would allow him to determine who he can motivate with insults before a crowded gym? Giving a guy like this a license to be a psychologist over a young person in any situation (class room included) is insanity. " First of all only teaching drivers ed and P.E. is no different than only teaching history. If one subject interests another more, that doesn't make one less qualified than that person would be if they taught biology or math or something. But down the road I think I understand what you're saying, and I agree that there are many coaches who aren't qualified to deal with young people. They haven't been around them enough and learned how to appropriately deal with them. They def. are coaches that do more harm than good, but on the flip side there are coaches such as the Great Bobby Knight, who the public has always and will always criticize, but I think is a legendary coach. Ya his temper got the best of him sometimes, but off the court that man is told to have gone above and beyond for his players. Maybe that extreme doesn't work for everyone or wouldn't fly much today, but sometimes kids need disciplining and sometimes they need to be brought back down to earth. Humiliate just for the sake of tearing a kid down to make yourself feel better?--Absolutely not!! But being afraid to yell at a kid because it might not make him smile--Not that one either. I belive in discipline, and I believe kids all respond differently. A good coach and mentor does not address or deal with all kids the same way... Tried to sum up some thoughts, get back to me...