Warren County: Are we really that bad?

14pioneers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to say Warren County is good, but they aren't as awful as some people make them out to be. They have talent, but here is the problem, they play in one of the toughest districts in the state. I mean anytime you have to play Oakland, Riverdale, Siegel, White County, Cookeville, Lebanon, Blackman on any given night, it is going to be hard to win a lot of games. They have talent but not enough to stack up to those teams.

Warren County scored 24 points last night in what I was told was a fast pace up and down the court ballgame. We lost 59-24 to a Lebanon team that is definetly down talent wise from years past. Some people will say the talent level on warren County's team is weak, I for one do not believe that. I think there is enough talent there right now to compete better than what they are showing right now. Coach Smith has been there 2 years now and maybe needs to rethink his system to match what talent he does have, and if he thinks it will get better in the next 2-3 years, I think he's in for a rude awaking, because after next year the talent level will dramatically drop off. All I'm trying to say is to score 24 points in a high school basketball game ain't going to get-ur-done.

Warren County scored 24 points last night in what I was told was a fast pace up and down the court ballgame. We lost 59-24 to a Lebanon team that is definetly down talent wise from years past. Some people will say the talent level on warren County's team is weak, I for one do not believe that. I think there is enough talent there right now to compete better than what they are showing right now. Coach Smith has been there 2 years now and maybe needs to rethink his system to match what talent he does have, and if he thinks it will get better in the next 2-3 years, I think he's in for a rude awaking, because after next year the talent level will dramatically drop off. All I'm trying to say is to score 24 points in a high school basketball game ain't going to get-ur-done.

After the 96-35 debacle to Oakland (at home). and the Lebanon game there is a growing concern if Coach Smith will ever get this thing turned around. Let me say this, talent wise we are inferior to some of the teams in 7AAA, but not all of them!!!! This team has some talent. No one can convince me that if we still had a coach of say (Coach Kiel (lebanon) who I know left on his own accord) had this team for the past 2 years that Smith has had them, that we wouldn't be a much,much,more competitive squad. Hate to bash Coach Smith, but that is part of being a head coach, you have to answer for your teams lack of success. I hope coach smith turns this thing around , but as I previously stated there is a growing concern that it will never happen.

14, I do agree with you, the head coach is ultimately responsible for the success (or lack thereof) on the court. What you have to realize is the situation Smith inherited here. Turner left this program with no foundation in discipline, work ethic, the things that can't be measured simply by saying: "There is talent". Yeah, we have tall guys, shooters, players, etc. However, these things don't necessarilly make a ball player. I am not an apologist for anyone, I think 2 years is time to see some improvement. Last year's team had a LOT more talent than this year's, next year's should be better with all of these juniors getting experience. I really think next year will be the test to see if Coach Smith is the answer. There will be a lot of seniors and usually 3 years is time to rid the program of problems left over from former coaches. We'll have to wait and see. I would like nothing better than to see these players and coaches have some success. We're all rooting for you guys to succeed!!

Guest dare_2_dream

And you have to get-er-done!!!!

14, I do agree with you, the head coach is ultimately responsible for the success (or lack thereof) on the court. What you have to realize is the situation Smith inherited here. Turner left this program with no foundation in discipline, work ethic, the things that can't be measured simply by saying: "There is talent". Yeah, we have tall guys, shooters, players, etc. However, these things don't necessarilly make a ball player. I am not an apologist for anyone, I think 2 years is time to see some improvement. Last year's team had a LOT more talent than this year's, next year's should be better with all of these juniors getting experience. I really think next year will be the test to see if Coach Smith is the answer. There will be a lot of seniors and usually 3 years is time to rid the program of problems left over from former coaches. We'll have to wait and see. I would like nothing better than to see these players and coaches have some success. We're all rooting for you guys to succeed!!

eagle79, I have read many of your posts in the past and I know that you always speak your mind about WC athletics. I would like to say that I agree with your post and I think you said it very well. Good Job.

Is it me or will Warren County remain a doormat in district 7AAA? I know we have had good teams in years past (long past), but I really believe that Warren County is a GOLD MINE just waiting to be tapped in ALL SPORTS by the right coaches. I do wish all the coaches that are there the best, but the talent is there and has always been there. We do afterall have nearly 1,800 students at WCHS.

Maybe not for to much longer. You're right, Warren Co. does harbor alot of talent and it just hasn't been showing for awhile. I wanna shout out to all of the Warren Co. players out there for not giving up and hanging in there. Everytime I see them play, they play their hearts out. Good luck in the years to come Pioneers

• 4 weeks later...

One of the biggest problems Politics all about whose your dad and mom and how much money you have. Sorry to say it thats a major part I'm a victim while i play ed Football told you are doin Great in Practice and Being told your heres a guy that wants to play but come GAMETIME ride the pine because dad wasn't someone in the community. Just like when Luna was here he didn't care who your parents where if you was a athlete and could play you played and thats how it needs to be! that's why he played b-ball in Van Buren coach told him he wasn't good enough to play but played there and BEAT WC everytime they played.So there is problem withWC politics!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Edited by jpdvols