Jefferson County Position by Position

PatriotMan

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Cummings bio ? He turned the West program around didn't he?

Not exactly sure when he took over but Knox West took had a very dramatic change between 2002(going 3-7) to 2003(going 6-6), then going 7-4, 4-6, then 7-5 last year(they could have had 9 wins with a few breaks). They haven`t had a very good in region record, but they are playing in one the toughest regions in the state. They`ve played Mo West close several times but haven`t beaten them, never played Maryville close(won`t hold that against him), and up until last year didn`t play Knox Central very close. We scrimmaged them last year and their offense seemed well coached (their run fake post route play killed us every time), but I don`t know if Cummings controls the offense or not. You would have to talk to a 4A fan in their region for any specifics on Cummings.

Forgot to mention Knox West is 3-2 vs Bearden, and 2-0 vs Karns since 2002

Edited by JC4life

Cummings took over in 2002. They have been first or second in our league in total offense the last 3 years. Had Halls 45-0 at the half last year. 2 years ago had two 1,000 yard rushers. Hootie Henderson and Nate Martin. This year they finally played defense and it showed. Their only league loss was to Maryville. Beat Central 32-7, Powell 17-0, Cleveland in the playoffs 35-0. I don't see him leaving West b/c they have Jake Ryan returning (over 2,000 yards passing; All-State) and Ken Easterly (12 TD catches) returning. Defensively they should keep growing and get even better. I can't see him rebuilding again! Just my opinion! That offense is tough to defend (split back veer w/ a passing game). They also have a big team. When we played them they had around 75 kids or so on their sideline. West used to never have that kind of turnout.

Cummings took over in 2002. They have been first or second in our league in total offense the last 3 years. Had Halls 45-0 at the half last year. 2 years ago had two 1,000 yard rushers. Hootie Henderson and Nate Martin. This year they finally played defense and it showed. Their only league loss was to Maryville. Beat Central 32-7, Powell 17-0, Cleveland in the playoffs 35-0. I don't see him leaving West b/c they have Jake Ryan returning (over 2,000 yards passing; All-State) and Ken Easterly (12 TD catches) returning. Defensively they should keep growing and get even better. I can't see him rebuilding again! Just my opinion! That offense is tough to defend (split back veer w/ a passing game). They also have a big team. When we played them they had around 75 kids or so on their sideline. West used to never have that kind of turnout.

Two things

1st- Why would he leave. Well what is the potential ceiling at Knox West vs the potential ceiling at Jeff County? Knox West had one of its better teams last year year and lost 5 games and bowed out in the 2nd round of the playoffs. With what you say they have coming back they should expect a better year so I`d guess they`d be something like 6-4 to 8-2 maybe get out of the 2nd round this time, before running into the buzz saw that is Maryville or someone like Mo West. Maybe I`m selling Knox West a little short, but that is a lower ceiling that Cummings would expect to see at Jeff County with the program running on all cylinders.

2. I don`t know that rebuilding would be quite the position he would be stepping into if he was to come to Jeff County. Build onto yes, but the foundation is already in place, and he would be taking over a pretty experienced team. I expected no less than a 5-5/ 6-4 record this season no matter who the coach was, and with the right coach we should be getting back to 8-2 type seasons quickly.

That sounds impressive.

I am sure no matter who the coach is, the Pats will have 70 plus. I hear Justin is looking @ over a 100 for Spring Practice. No matter what you think about previous situation things are looking up @ Dumplin Valley.

Any other names that can be confirmed as sending in resumes?