Cloudland @ Hampton

foreveranole

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said in the 3 years that I played and the 2 or 3 years after that. I didnt say ever. I am sure Unaka has squeked out a win every couple of years...

Lay the actual facts out there not just old memories and I think you will find yourself corrected. Lay out actual numbers and years of championships.

From 98-00 the junior high team was 5-1 against Cloudland, 6-0 against Unaka, and 3-3 against Hunter with 2 regional championships. I guess I have found myself corrected, lol...

Thanks for the research Vader. Imagine what the record would have been if the Jr. High had held players back like the others did. It makes a difference when you have Freshmen & Sophomores playing against 7th & 8th graders, but they seemed to have held their own anyway. I choose to look at it as doing it the right way, playing ALL your players, not holding any back, not the I'll do anything to win at all costs attitude, sure you will lose some games because of it but what is the job of a middle school coach? To get the players ready for High School, not to go undefeated every year. That would be nice but not realistic. Their (H.E.S.) team was always playing their best come tourney time and well prepared except for this season and they probably had as much talent or more than any other year, but that is another story.

From 98-00 the junior high team was 5-1 against Cloudland, 6-0 against Unaka, and 3-3 against Hunter with 2 regional championships. I guess I have found myself corrected, lol...

I think they won the championship in 2004 also. So that gives them 3 championships in 10 years. Now remeber we are talking about Jr. High, if that equals the dominance you profess, I do apologize but to me that should be expected at a school the size of Hampton. I think Leon is a fine coach but I didn't see a powerhouse at Hampton. Keep in Mind that last year was the first time the teams from Carter county really competed in a true TMSAA regional and sectional tournament.

You talk like Hampton wasn't playing any schools of their size. If you remember, junior high is divided up in 2 divisions. So Hampton was also playing Science Hill, Unicoi Co., Gray, Happy Valley, Jonesborough, Lamar, Ross Robinson, and other scools of that size. I am not sure about this, but does any other school from the county have success like that by winning 3 championships in 7 years? I know Hunter was very good for many years, but i am not sure how many times they won it.

• 2 weeks later...

Your facts are wrong. In the three years that I played and for the 2 or 3 years after that, Unaka NEVER beat Hampton. I can never remember Cloudland competing with Hampton except when Byrd was in 8th grade and when Lunsford was in 8th grade. Hunter has always had purty good teams though and look what that talent was used to do at the high school level (state title). The games between Hampton and Hunter were always good but I do not think that Hunter ever won at Hampton under coach Tolley until 2 years ago and he still beat Hunter once with very little talent. Don't try to downgrade Tolley's stats as a coach or the talent that Hampton has had. It makes you look sorta dumb...

When Stocton and Lunsford was in the 7th grade they beat Hampton by 20 three times and as 8th graders they won 1 at Hampton and lost 3 close games. I also believe that Cloudland has dominated Hampton since that time until Hampton beat Cloudland in the district tourney a few nights ago

When Stocton and Lunsford was in the 7th grade they beat Hampton by 20 three times and as 8th graders they won 1 at Hampton and lost 3 close games. I also believe that Cloudland has dominated Hampton since that time until Hampton beat Cloudland in the district tourney a few nights ago

haha u just made my case for me. lunsford and stockton were on the best 8th grade basketball team that cloudland has ever had and they still lost 3 out 4 times against hampton. another regional championship for hampton that year. looks like there is going to be another one for the dawgs this year. it has truly been a decade of dominance...