How Does St. Bendidict beat Briarcreat? Ever?

ab123

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do agree on that. His staff is woefully inadequate and you have to ask yourself, how much better are these kids getting under harrington. There's going to be a certain amount of improvement with age regardless, but is he making the guys better players? Do they understand the game more when they leave than when they got there? Every college wants to have great players, but the competition is becoming so stiff that they are able to pick and choose great athletes that are able to understand the game and how it is played.

QUOTE(mayor10111 @ Jan 15 2007 - 05:37 PM) 826332905[/snapback]

Keep telling yourself that buddy! Me personally, i like to listen to the "bought and paid for" chants throughout the region.

Sounds like the only one chanting is YOU. To bad, you sound more like a player or the parent of a player that couldn't cut it. So now this is the only way you can critisize the one's who can.

QUOTE(mayor10111 @ Jan 15 2007 - 06:58 PM) 826333000[/snapback]

We do agree on that. His staff is woefully inadequate and you have to ask yourself, how much better are these kids getting under harrington. There's going to be a certain amount of improvement with age regardless, but is he making the guys better players? Do they understand the game more when they leave than when they got there? Every college wants to have great players, but the competition is becoming so stiff that they are able to pick and choose great athletes that are able to understand the game and how it is played.

These players are getting better every year due to spending their summers playing on an outstanding AAU team that has excellent coaching, college exposure to high-level play and they compete against the best players in the nation. They competed very well at the Nike Nationals and have won and/or placed 2nd at several prestigious events that all the college coaches attend. Harrington has done nothing to advance their basketball skills or presence, if anything he and his worthless staff should be appreciative that these athletes have chosen to pusure their HS academics at Briarcrest.

QUOTE(speakerbox2 @ Jan 16 2007 - 08:53 AM) 826333551[/snapback]

These players are getting better every year due to spending their summers playing on an outstanding AAU team that has excellent coaching, college exposure to high-level play and they compete against the best players in the nation. They competed very well at the Nike Nationals and have won and/or placed 2nd at several prestigious events that all the college coaches attend. Harrington has done nothing to advance their basketball skills or presence, if anything he and his worthless staff should be appreciative that these athletes have chosen to pusure their HS academics at Briarcrest.

GREAT!!!Way to put it!!!!!

QUOTE(speakerbox2 @ Jan 16 2007 - 08:14 AM) 826333492[/snapback]

Sounds like the only one chanting is YOU. To bad, you sound more like a player or the parent of a player that couldn't cut it. So now this is the only way you can critisize the one's who can.

It happens. I'm not saying it is going on at Briarcrest but to say it doesn't go on in Div-2 is silly. To be honest, recruiting goes on at all levels to some degree. In some cases, public school coaches have to recruit players in their own district to keep them there.

Sort of how White Station was able to get such good players during the Tippet era due to it's status as an optional school plus WSHS is a greatly known for it's academics. A great coach with a great school.....and players will want to come.

That said, Briarcrest is a great school. I've always though very highly of John Harrington. I'm curious as to why you say Harrington can't coach

QUOTE(Pantherbert @ Jan 16 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826334361[/snapback]

It happens. I'm not saying it is going on at Briarcrest but to say it doesn't go on in Div-2 is silly. To be honest, recruiting goes on at all levels to some degree. In some cases, public school coaches have to recruit players in their own district to keep them there.

Sort of how White Station was able to get such good players during the Tippet era due to it's status as an optional school plus WSHS is a greatly known for it's academics. A great coach with a great school.....and players will want to come.

That said, Briarcrest is a great school. I've always though very highly of John Harrington. I'm curious as to why you say Harrington can't coach

B/c the players say he doesnt let them play their game.And that says it all when the players are saying that

since i attend briarcrest and am very close to the basketball program, im just gonna say that everything yall have said is wrong. the reason gregg wooten and leslie mcdonald are there is bcuz wooten's brother played for coach harrington when he was at bartlett. mcdonald and wooten are very good friends and aau teammates so he came along with him. elgin lee was at briarcrest before wooten and mcdonald decided to attend. johnny williams plays aau with wooten and mcdonald and why not play with the same guys you've been playing with your whole life?

as for not coaching these kids, if you knew anything about the players at briarcrest, you would know that these kids are improving more and more each day. mcdonald has become so much more physical and his mid range game has become incredible for a guard. he isnt ranked #11 in the nation for nothing. he didnt call gregg wooten one of the best defensive players he has ever coached in over 20 years for nothing. elgin lee hasnt just learned all by himself how to become a team player and use his penetration to find open shooters. it may not be the best coaching staff in the city, especially when terry tippet is coaching rite down the street, but he sure has beat those teams lately. just this season, the saints have beaten cbhs, mus, harding, hernando, rome ga (have the #18 junior in the nation, 6'11" tony woods, while briarcrest has no one on the roster about 6'5, scored only 2 points)

have you ever seen these kids play? the only reason sba has beaten briarcrest lately is bcuz sba completely stalls with the ball and win on backdoors and precise fundamentals, if you knew anything about division 2 basketball in memphis, you would know that any team could win on any given day, ecs has beaten st georges, briarcrest has beaten cbhs and mus

just let me know how bad the coaching is at briarcrest when they make it to the state tournament

I like reading this post here. If you were a coach and someone donated money to the program but your son was bad then does that give him the right to play?? It sounds like to me parents are trying to buy their kids playing time. Now I played for Coach Harrington when he was an assistant under Hubie Smith at Bartlett. I will tell you this. In practice I wanted to be on Harringtons team. I loved the way he coached and he was so much more intense than Smith was. I'll also put this out. Look at his team....Talent????? YES.... Experience?????? NO......I don't care who you are unless your name is Kobe, Lebron or Kevin, If you are coaching young Sophmores and Juniors you are going to take a few bumps and the last time i checked Briarcrest is 22-4.. Big deal that they lost to St. Benedict. You ever seen Top College teams lose to a Butler or SIU or someone like that???? If I also recall Briarcrest did make it to the State Championship game under Harrington as well. From what I can tell ya'll have nothing to complain about...Wow the lost the someone they should have beat but guess what it happens no matter what level you play on. As for kids getting playing time because their parents paid for it.....Give me a break, If they would go to public or city school they wouldn't even be on the team...Just be glad they are getting to dress out.

QUOTE(bhscoach @ Jan 22 2007 - 10:20 PM) 826341846[/snapback]

I like reading this post here. If you were a coach and someone donated money to the program but your son was bad then does that give him the right to play?? It sounds like to me parents are trying to buy their kids playing time. Now I played for Coach Harrington when he was an assistant under Hubie Smith at Bartlett. I will tell you this. In practice I wanted to be on Harringtons team. I loved the way he coached and he was so much more intense than Smith was. I'll also put this out. Look at his team....Talent????? YES.... Experience?????? NO......I don't care who you are unless your name is Kobe, Lebron or Kevin, If you are coaching young Sophmores and Juniors you are going to take a few bumps and the last time i checked Briarcrest is 22-4.. Big deal that they lost to St. Benedict. You ever seen Top College teams lose to a Butler or SIU or someone like that???? If I also recall Briarcrest did make it to the State Championship game under Harrington as well. From what I can tell ya'll have nothing to complain about...Wow the lost the someone they should have beat but guess what it happens no matter what level you play on. As for kids getting playing time because their parents paid for it.....Give me a break, If they would go to public or city school they wouldn't even be on the team...Just be glad they are getting to dress out.

Well Stated.. Well Stated. I guess we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water Harrington is a very nice person and one of the finest administrators in Shelby County that I and everyone else respect very much. For that reason I would hate to see him get caught up in the parent/political trap.