Girls State Tourney

kksdad

If the sub state matches go as expected, Hendersonville, Hixson, and Hardin County will be placed in the same side of the bracket with Hendersonville/Hixson playing in the first round. I know this is probably set way in advance, but its a shame that the Championship will not be between the 2 best teams there.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kksdad @ Jan 18 2007 - 07:46 AM) 826335957[/snapback]

If the sub state matches go as expected, Hendersonville, Hixson, and Hardin County will be placed in the same side of the bracket with Hendersonville/Hixson playing in the first round. I know this is probably set way in advance, but its a shame that the Championship will not be between the 2 best teams there.

I don't know if bracket are completely set in stone. Last year both girls teams in region three made state tournament Hixson/Soddy and thus were broken up. If the two teams coming from the same sub state are from different regions it possibly could affect placement. Obviously tssaa does what it wants to do.

QUOTE(kksdad @ Jan 18 2007 - 07:46 AM) 826335957[/snapback]

I agree. It is unfortunate that the TSSAA doesn't do something similar to what is done in wrestling and seed the teams based on performance. However, currently there is no rankings so seeding would have to be based on team record or something. It is unfortunate, but don't look for anything to change.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Jan 18 2007 - 09:30 AM) 826336164[/snapback]

I agree. It is unfortunate that the TSSAA doesn't do something similar to what is done in wrestling and seed the teams based on performance. However, currently there is no rankings so seeding would have to be based on team record or something. It is unfortunate, but don't look for anything to change.

Why can they not just do the seeding once they know all of the teams? As long as the teams know when to show up, it should not be a problem in letting them know who they will be playing once they arrive.

Just a thought.

QUOTE(worthyone @ Jan 18 2007 - 10:42 AM) 826336191[/snapback]

To be the best, you've got to beat the best.

I don't disagree with your statement, although it's kind of naive.

If #1 and #2 are in the same side of a bracket in any sport you are still determining the best team. But, you are not determining the actual best 2 teams. It is the best 2 teams that should meet in any final.

And I don't know why they can't seed after the final 8 is established. Probably would take all of about 30 minutes to do. Use team record, avg. team pin totals, etc. and you could do it.

Do you look at strength of schedule when you look at overall record? What if a team is in a weak district?

And if you talk to any bowling enthusiast they will tell you that different places have higher pin averages -- some are simplier to score well than others (especially if you are in an older alley).

So, pin averages may not be entirely accurate.

With that said, most would say Hixson and Hendersonville are the two best girls teams in the state.

QUOTE(worthyone @ Jan 18 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826336264[/snapback]

Do you look at strength of schedule when you look at overall record? What if a team is in a weak district?

And if you talk to any bowling enthusiast they will tell you that different places have higher pin averages -- some are simplier to score well than others (especially if you are in an older alley).

With that said, most would say Hixson and Hendersonville are the two best girls teams in the state.

With that in mind. girls matches usually are not a strike fest and spare shooting is usually the determining factor this was the key to Hixson's run in the tournament season last year they out spared the teams they bowled. So when it boils down to it the girls scores might be a little truer to form than maybe the guys. But worthyone you are on the right train of thought with house making a difference in scoring

QUOTE(worthyone @ Jan 18 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826336264[/snapback]

Strength of schedule would be a tough one due to the fact that there are no rankings, currently.

Weak district - go out of your district and bowl against some of the traditional top teams.

Most of the teams bowl in 3-6 different houses all year, that's why averages are such a good component.

It is what it is and won't change because bowling isn't a money maker for the TSSAA.

QUOTE(worthyone @ Jan 19 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826337645[/snapback]

I guess football, basketball, baseball and softball aren't money makers either because they don't seed their postseason tournaments either.

The money making quotient has more to do with the TSSAA not wanting to devote time and effort to a sport like bowling that doesn't produce revenue. Bowling has no gate fees or parking fees, therefore, produces no revenue, ZERO. The only time fans pay is at the State tournament and I'm sure that revenue goes to the facility in Smyrna or at least it probably should.

Bowling only has one division for public schools. Bowling is different than the other sports in the state. The State tournament for bowling should be set up differently is all I am saying. Or not, either way is fine. It would be nice to have the best 2 teams meet in the finals or have a chance to meet in the finals.

Best of luck to all of the teams that make it to the State, no matter the set up!