Team Tennessee

cbg

How are the wrestlers for Team Tennessee selected? Do the coaches select who they wish to be on the team or do they have a tryout tournament with the champion being selected? What do states like Oklahoma, PA, Ohio, California, etc... use for their selection process?

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 18 2007 - 11:50 AM) 826336410[/snapback]

How are the wrestlers for Team Tennessee selected? Do the coaches select who they wish to be on the team or do they have a tryout tournament with the champion being selected? What do states like Oklahoma, PA, Ohio, California, etc... use for their selection process?

you have to place in the TWF freestyle or greco roman state tournament. thats what i was told last year...... also i know a girl wrestler who is interested in wrestling for Team Tennesee this year..... what is the say on that?

QUOTE(jukeboxhero17 @ Jan 18 2007 - 12:12 PM) 826336444[/snapback]

you have to place in the TWF freestyle or greco roman state tournament. thats what i was told last year...... also i know a girl wrestler who is interested in wrestling for Team Tennesee this year..... what is the say on that?

Let me see if I understand you. If a wrestler is the champion in the TWF Freestyle State Tournament in 2007 he will have the 1st option to represent the state of Tennessee in all National & Regional freestyle wrestling events?

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 18 2007 - 03:57 PM) 826336662[/snapback]

Let me see if I understand you. If a wrestler is the champion in the TWF Freestyle State Tournament in 2007 he will have the 1st option to represent the state of Tennessee in all National & Regional freestyle wrestling events?

I know for a fact this is not the case. Two years ago my oldest son won his weight class and then was not asked to wrestle because cash from bwa was going to represent tennessee at that weight. He didn't even have to wrestle for it. I know cash is good but to drive to dickson co. and win the state and not even get to go to camp jordan for team tennessee was not good. Last year as an 8th grader he again won his weight class and did wrestle for team tennessee in alabama at dixie duals and in danville, but when it came to iowa coach procter called from cookeville and said he want'ed my son to go as alternate. I asked who was better or had his spot and it was cox from nashville. He happened to not even place at state. I think he finished 5th. 2 kids from loftis finished 1st and 3rd, silverdale 2nd, and kid from hunter got 4th. I said no thank you. So no its not all cut and dried there are other factors.

QUOTE(pointblankrange @ Jan 18 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826336945[/snapback]

its all about politics. if you're from nashville, chattanooga, or memphis you're in no matter what you do at state. people just dont wanna believe that there might actually be someone good not from those three cities

I didn't say that, its just not as easy as going and winning one tournament. Two years ago elementary national duals team in kingsport. Tennessee had two teams of which my middle son was on neither but thanks to Coach Pinkstaff and Billy Watson from Baylor they put him on the team. He had won his weightclass every year plus he took two championships home as a 2nd grader winning 3rd and 4th grade div. over cox from nashville. The fact that Tennessee was putting together a team and not even wrestling for positions is crazy. What happened is Nashville was putting a team together and coach pinkstaff had a team. You ended up with one team good in lower weight and one good in heavy weights. Coach Pinkstsaff led us to i think 8th place but we forfeited 2 or 3 weights to start off. The whole state as youth wrestling goes is very unorganized that is were Georgia is catching us besides the fact they have more of a population to draw from.

It sounds like things have probably been a little too loose in the past with the selection process. If these regional & national events are sanctioned by USA Wrestling then people probably need to contact Jose in Memphis. Jose seems to be a very fair person and he should be able to work it out where the wrestlers must qualify through a tournament. Hey, it would be very simple you show up wrestle and win your weight classification or you will not be allowed on the team unless their is an injury and a replacement is needed. Yes people would scream the first year but they would get the message and you would have few if any problems in the years to follow. This could be a great tournament.

The Tennessee National Team (TNT) is the USAW affiliated team for TN. I beleive this thread was originally discussing the AAU national team.

You are correct that questions regarding TNT should be directed to Jose Delgado or the appropriate director. In the last couple of years there have been TNTs created for USAW Divisions - Juniors, Cadets and School Boys.

QUOTE(sundancer @ Jan 19 2007 - 09:19 AM) 826337495[/snapback]

The Tennessee National Team (TNT) is the USAW affiliated team for TN. I beleive this thread was originally discussing the AAU national team.

You are correct that questions regarding TNT should be directed to Jose Delgado or the appropriate director. In the last couple of years there have been TNTs created for USAW Divisions - Juniors, Cadets and School Boys.

I personally haven't see Jose do a thing this year. There is no schedule as of yet, and doesn't seem to be one coming any time soon. There hasn't even been a mention if there is going to be a TWF state tournament this year. Not trying to jump on the guy, and hopefully there are things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but it sure would be nice to be informed on what is going on, and what is being planned.