The Coaches Poll

BayouBear

QUOTE(walkenvol @ Jan 21 2007 - 10:02 PM) 826340522[/snapback]

Coach Price - we missed seeing you at the Soddy tourney. Hope there's nothing bad wrong that kept you away.

Walkenvol, don't you mean hope there's nothing badong that kept you away.

Killing is wrong...

and bad.

There should be a new,

stronger word for killing...

like "badwrong"

or "badong."

Yes, killing is "badong."

Anyone get the reference?

Personally I have no problem with the coaches poll or who votes in it. MLK pours his heart into the endeavor and we should/have commended him for it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walkenvol, I was at the other gym with the JV guys. Coach Shelton and Coach Bosken have worked more with the older guys so I felt like they needed to be at the varsity tournament. And I'm trying to get Randy ready for the day I decide to write a book or something and test the theory that my wife only likes me so much because I'm gone so much.

And Bear, I agree with you about the need for more separation in our classifications. We wrestle in North Carolina a great deal and I can tell you firsthand how the four classifications have resulted in the growth of wrestling in that state. Tim Pittman at Gibbs has been saying that for years now. There is an old wrestling guy over there who does a monthly newsletter with results and rankings for each classification. Wrestling may not be as tough there at the very top but there are a greater number of competitive teams throughout the state as a whole.

It's kind of like when I was at Jeff County. When we had a little success I asked for things, and the mentality of some was that since I'd done okay without the stuff I would continue to be fine without it. Bottom line is the TSSAA doesn't think the classification system is broken, so they aren't going to fix it. This may not have much to do with the poll but maybe it does.

Our entire method of doing the duals and our classification system needs to be retooled if you ask me.

Make suggestions and I'll make proposals. Don't know what will happen, but I'll try.

I mostly just read these posts to keep up with what is going on. I read them with a light eye conideing I typically don't know the source of the information and only very rarely to I post or reply. Typically when I post I am looking for the answer to a question that I couldn't already find posted. However, something urged me to post me opinion here.

At one time I was one of those that said the polls don't really matter. The only thing that matters is the end. As I read these boards though I've become convinced that is only half true. Yes, the wrestlers with much rather win the state tournament, whether it is the Duals, Traditional Team, or Individual, than be ranked first in a poll. Although, I would bet a lot of money that if you walked into any wrestling room in the state those kids are talking about where their team and they are individually ranked in the polls. If not things have drastically changed since I was wrestling in high school and even college. The polls matter to the kids and isn't that what this whole thing is all about anyway. Not parents, coaches, or old has beens (myself not Mr. Killian) to sit around and talk about on a message board.

With that said I agree with BayouBear, if we are going to split for competition, split for the polls too.

Agreed. BayouBear is definitely one person on this board who writes readable posts,

and he's been good to my kids. I appreciate that.

Furthermore, I imagine that the same thing can be said about Georgia's classification system as I said about North Carolina's, especially if Collins Hill is #8 over there.

Have any of our better teams seen Parkland, NC this year?

And I agree with you about Greenback. Justin does a great job there and puts tough kids on the mat. I see it, and he's getting his kids out in the tougher tournaments now. I respect them greatly.

Justin is doing a great job at Greenback. The fact that he is taking them to some good tournaments is showing up in how well they are wrestling. I watched them last Thursday night and was quite impresssed, not only in their ability but in the fact that they have all weights filled. They never quit even when they are down, which does not seem to be often, but keep working to win. At the rate they are going Greenback, I am sure, will be noticed and make it into the poll.

When I was coaching I never knew who did the poll or who was doing the voting, I was just happy that my teams were doing well enough to be mentioned.

QUOTE(papbear3 @ Jan 21 2007 - 10:49 PM) 826340490[/snapback]

I was enjoying the discussion and would have preferred to carry it on in person, not on a message board. It wasn't an attack on you personally. That is the problem with message boards. I thought we were having a friendly, intelligent conversation about the coaches poll. It does bother me about the lack of recognition of our region, but to mention that on this site would open up a whole other thread, hence, I would have preferred this discussion somewhere else. That's why I asked you to introduce yourself. So, I guess by asking you to introduce yourself I was making it personal. Sorry about that and if you took it the wrong way.

papabear - My comments were not directed to you. They were in response to comments made by ANIMAL. Sorry for the confusion.

QUOTE(BayouBear @ Jan 21 2007 - 09:00 PM) 826340399[/snapback]

Chris - I am also very aware of who organizes the poll and I applaud his efforts. I agree the poll is better than nothing. However, the poll is outdated and does not reflect the current situation in Tennessee wrestling with 3 Dual Divisions and two Traditional Divisions. Why make the effort to compare the DI and DI schools when it's virtually pointless. Teams in your own region suffer from lack of recognition and it doesn't seem to bother you but yet you complain about the coverage of the paper. If there were currently 3 polls there would be four schools in Region 2 that would probably be ranked in one poll or another; Maryville, Seymour, Greenback and Blount. Perhaps if the polls reported to the paper involved more of your local schools, the paper would chose to print it.

I am disappointed in your attempt to make this personal ... though not surprised.

Coach Price - Chill...This is not an attack on Luther Killian. He's a fine man and no one questions that.Much of my post is in jest. And yes, you can take the high road and say nothing really matters until the State Tournaments. But I ask you sir...What will most fans be doing the day after the State Tournament? The answer is easy, they will be moving on to the next sport. I will point out Greenback High School to you. They are a school of 230 kids and have 25 or so kids out for wrestling. Nobody outside of a few will ever know about the effforts of the G-Nation. It doesn't look like they have enough to get by Seymour or Notre Dame to advance to the State Duals. Although I would think they are in the Top 5 of all schools in the Class AA-A. The sad thing is no one will ever know. If their name were listed in a weekly poll published across this state, the recognition would mean a whole bunch to their school and community.

And yes, Collins Hill is in Georgia. But ranking Georgia Schools with the Tennessee schools makes as much sense to me as ranking the DI - AAA, DI A-AA and DII schools together.

Glenn Spain

Cleveland, TN

BB...your above post has convinced me...we have a problem in TN with the polls and it needs to be fixed...thanks for talking about this in such a clear way

would love to know what are the next steps to do so?

and kudo's to Greenback...being relatively new to TN wrestling...i had no idea that

Greenback was a school with only 230 students...that is amazing because their wrestlers get after it, the numbers are really high for the number of students and the Miller boys are tough as nails. They also seem to have excellent coaching as per my conversation Saturday with one of their coaches...way to get it done when alot of obstacles are stacked against you...

QUOTE(BayouBear @ Jan 21 2007 - 10:00 PM) 826340399[/snapback]

Chris - I am also very aware of who organizes the poll and I applaud his efforts. I agree the poll is better than nothing. However, the poll is outdated and does not reflect the current situation in Tennessee wrestling with 3 Dual Divisions and two Traditional Divisions. Why make the effort to compare the DI and DI schools when it's virtually pointless. Teams in your own region suffer from lack of recognition and it doesn't seem to bother you but yet you complain about the coverage of the paper. If there were currently 3 polls there would be four schools in Region 2 that would probably be ranked in one poll or another; Maryville, Seymour, Greenback and Blount. Perhaps if the polls reported to the paper involved more of your local schools, the paper would chose to print it.

I am disappointed in your attempt to make this personal ... though not surprised.

Coach Price - Chill...This is not an attack on Luther Killian. He's a fine man and no one questions that.Much of my post is in jest. And yes, you can take the high road and say nothing really matters until the State Tournaments. But I ask you sir...What will most fans be doing the day after the State Tournament? The answer is easy, they will be moving on to the next sport. I will point out Greenback High School to you. They are a school of 230 kids and have 25 or so kids out for wrestling. Nobody outside of a few will ever know about the effforts of the G-Nation. It doesn't look like they have enough to get by Seymour or Notre Dame to advance to the State Duals. Although I would think they are in the Top 5 of all schools in the Class AA-A. The sad thing is no one will ever know. If their name were listed in a weekly poll published across this state, the recognition would mean a whole bunch to their school and community.

And yes, Collins Hill is in Georgia. But ranking Georgia Schools with the Tennessee schools makes as much sense to me as ranking the DI - AAA, DI A-AA and DII schools together.

Glenn Spain

Cleveland, TN

Mr. Spain, I think you make many valid points and I also agree with you on this subject. You don't see any other sports putting DI and DII together in their polls and I can't think of a good reason why wrestling should be doing it. It guess it really doesn't matter in the end.

QUOTE(suddensam @ Jan 22 2007 - 02:20 PM) 826341228[/snapback]

Mr. Spain, I think you make many valid points and I also agree with you on this subject. You don't see any other sports putting DI and DII together in their polls and I can't think of a good reason why wrestling should be doing it. It guess it really doesn't matter in the end.

I think it is interesting and fun, and I hope they continue!! The only way to know forsure is to go head-to-head and then, as we witnessed on Friday, any team (just about) can beat any other team on that certain "given day." Don't get me wrong, this was an excellent demonstartion of prep work on the part of BC. BUT, head-to-head against all tough teams is all that really matters, with a little consideration of common oponents within individual and dual competitions.

I believe SD. Mc, and Bay has done the best job at taking on these in-state risks in recent years and deserves a lot of credit for doing so.

On a side note...

Prediction for duals: BC over SD in a very close one,,,

but (BB may be offended) I see SD by 25 pts+ over BC in traditionals, even with the extra 1-2 round pt's BC gets after qualifying 13-14 wrestlers in their easier region.