Sequoyah Football

Sequoyah SID

As a passionate supporter of certain, er, "minor" sports at SQHS, Gentlemen- please remember; "A rising tide raises all boats."

There are winning teams at Sequoyah. There are fans, good parents, volunteers and even a stray teacher or two that love the kids FIRST and their athletic endeavors along side or following.

If we are positive, enthusiastic and selfless it will SHOW.

Chiefs.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BlueQB12 @ Jan 24 2007 - 02:09 PM) 826344160[/snapback]

It has been a while since he has actively coached,but football is still blocking and tackling.The motivational skills have not eroded a bit over the years.He is an excellent football coach and a better man who will help our boys grow into fine young men.They will be able to depend on what he tells them,and what he tells them will be what he means,and there will be no doubt about that or where they stand with him.If they want to play for him.they need to work hard in practice.All will have a chance regardless.It will be a tight ship run his way,FIRST CLASS.I am new to this,so forgive me,no offense intended to anyone.Just giving what information I know about coach.

Welcome aboard BlueQB12. I've been expecting you.

I have watched this long enough. I have to get this off my chest. I was one of the 30 people interviewed at Sequoyah. If they continue to hire people in the unprofessional manner they did, they will never be successful. Let me explain why this process was so messed up.

(1)They interviewed 30 people. How can you tell one person from the other when you talk to 30 of them? Did they interview everybody that applied? The list should have been narrowed down before they had people take a day off of work and travel there.

(2)The interviews took place in 2 different rooms, in the principal’s office and an assistant principals office. They would shuffle the candidates back and forth.

(3)While I was talking with Mr. Moser (the principal), he would continue to answer phone calls, talk on the walkie-talkie and answer questions from the secretaries that continued to come in time after time.

(4)I never really got to answer any questions because all he did was complain about the former coach. He would pose a question this way…”How would you run practice, cause I am sure you wouldn’t ride around on a four-wheeler all the time and spend the whole practice time here at the main building”. Or “I am sure you will know how to answer this question by the way I phase it, How do handle discipline, cause the last coach did this…” and would go on and on about how the last coach was a screw up. This lasted 45 minutes, in which I maybe talked for 5.

(5)After that I was shuffled into another office to talk to the AD and Booster President. During this time people came in and out to put papers on the desk, switch out walkie-talkies and ask general questions of the AD.

(6)At one point the Mr. Moser walked back into the office WITH ANOTHER CANDIDATE to get info off of his desk while the candidate struck up a conversation with the AD.

(7)The AD went on and on about how has coached football at SQHS for 10 years and how he likes the Wing-T and all his accomplishments as a baseball coach.

(8)Most of his questions were worded “How would you do this, cause this is how I would do it” and then would explain how he handled it in baseball season or how he would do it if he was the head coach.

(9)After about 45 minuets of this junk, I politely excused myself and wished them the best of luck on their search.

(10)I think the thing I am most perturbed by is that they was no follow up on their part. No letter thanking me for my wasted time and wasted money spent. The least they could do was send a thanks but no thanks letter.

I truly believe the only way SQHS can be successful at football is to remove Mr. Moser and the AD from their position. If they will not do that, then they should be removed from the interviewing process cause neither of them have a professional bone in their body.

Now you notice I did not say one thing about the students, players or community or coaching staff (new and old). So do not respond to this post saying I hate the school or area, the two people involved in the interviewing process are incompetent as professionals.

QUOTE(trauma @ Jan 25 2007 - 09:56 AM) 826345135[/snapback]

I have watched this long enough. I have to get this off my chest. I was one of the 30 people interviewed at Sequoyah. If they continue to hire people in the unprofessional manner they did, they will never be successful. Let me explain why this process was so messed up.

(1)They interviewed 30 people. How can you tell one person from the other when you talk to 30 of them? Did they interview everybody that applied? The list should have been narrowed down before they had people take a day off of work and travel there.

(2)The interviews took place in 2 different rooms, in the principal’s office and an assistant principals office. They would shuffle the candidates back and forth.

(3)While I was talking with Mr. Moser (the principal), he would continue to answer phone calls, talk on the walkie-talkie and answer questions from the secretaries that continued to come in time after time.

(4)I never really got to answer any questions because all he did was complain about the former coach. He would pose a question this way…”How would you run practice, cause I am sure you wouldn’t ride around on a four-wheeler all the time and spend the whole practice time here at the main building”. Or “I am sure you will know how to answer this question by the way I phase it, How do handle discipline, cause the last coach did this…” and would go on and on about how the last coach was a screw up. This lasted 45 minutes, in which I maybe talked for 5.

(5)After that I was shuffled into another office to talk to the AD and Booster President. During this time people came in and out to put papers on the desk, switch out walkie-talkies and ask general questions of the AD.

(6)At one point the Mr. Moser walked back into the office WITH ANOTHER CANDIDATE to get info off of his desk while the candidate struck up a conversation with the AD.

(7)The AD went on and on about how has coached football at SQHS for 10 years and how he likes the Wing-T and all his accomplishments as a baseball coach.

(8)Most of his questions were worded “How would you do this, cause this is how I would do it” and then would explain how he handled it in baseball season or how he would do it if he was the head coach.

(9)After about 45 minuets of this junk, I politely excused myself and wished them the best of luck on their search.

(10)I think the thing I am most perturbed by is that they was no follow up on their part. No letter thanking me for my wasted time and wasted money spent. The least they could do was send a thanks but no thanks letter.

I truly believe the only way SQHS can be successful at football is to remove Mr. Moser and the AD from their position. If they will not do that, then they should be removed from the interviewing process cause neither of them have a professional bone in their body.

Now you notice I did not say one thing about the students, players or community or coaching staff (new and old). So do not respond to this post saying I hate the school or area, the two people involved in the interviewing process are incompetent as professionals.

Trauma: What you have said about the process is true. I normally do not speak out about such matters but in this case, since you brought it up, I will second some of what you have stated as fact. Having said this, I know of men who have interviewed at Sequoyah High School the last two times they went through this process and this is how they do things in that system. It is very odd and trust me very few other people do things in this fashion but it seems to be their process.

Now, they have made their decision and I think they got the man they wanted from the start. I know of a couple of other men who applied that were current head coaches in Eastern Tennessee that either didn't want to go there or they were passed over for Coach S, but all in all, I think they wanted a local boy more than what some of the other applicants had to offer.

If this coach can bring these two communities together, then maybe they have made the best decision for their school but I think you are correct in that the interview process was very flawed. It is almost impossible to get to know anything about a man in the manner in which they go about it. In the past twenty years, I have NEVER seen another school try to interview so many people. IMHO, you should read through the resumes, select the top 5-6 applicants, contact their references, screen them, call in the top four and spend two hours with each of them. That should be the way it is done.

The top football programs conduct detailed searches in this manner and most of the work is done by phone contacts and e-mails long before you decide on your top candidates.

Okay, I have said my piece on this subject and I would again like to congratulate Coach S and I hope the Chiefs have a great season.

QUOTE(trauma @ Jan 25 2007 - 09:56 AM) 826345135[/snapback]

Most of the supporters,students,players,and comminity know your ending statements are very true. When have just been unable to do anything about either of the problems. But it is work in progress,And it has been a long hard fight.

Trauma thanks for you (outside looking in, input)

QUOTE(trauma @ Jan 25 2007 - 08:56 AM) 826345135[/snapback]

Very well put coach. just as ELA said this whole set up is a farce. Summeys name was mentioned long before the former coach resigned. Is there a way I could contact you. I would like to talk to you about hte way the process was handled. No it is not Holloway, but if you care i am in the building and very concerned about some happenings in the school.

QUOTE(Bama14 @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:27 AM) 826345182[/snapback]

Very well put coach. just as ELA said this whole set up is a farce. Summeys name was mentioned long before the former coach resigned. Is there a way I could contact you. I would like to talk to you about hte way the process was handled. No it is not Holloway, but if you care i am in the building and very concerned about some happenings in the school.

Did you mean me or ELA. My email is trauma57@hotmail.com

I was afraid I was going to get raked over the coals for my statements, but I am glad to see others had to go through the same situations I did. I wish Coach S all the luck in the world. He will need it working with those two.

Trauma has cut through all of the banter on this board and got to the heart of the problem. It may not be the coaches that were hired but the persons that hired them that is the root of the long years of losing seasons.

Hiring someone to unite communities is one thing hiring a football coach is another.

Best wishes to the kids they deserve better than they have gotten.

QUOTE(trauma @ Jan 25 2007 - 09:33 AM) 826345191[/snapback]

I was afraid I was going to get raked over the coals for my statements, but I am glad to see others had to go through the same situations I did. I wish Coach S all the luck in the world. He will need it working with those two.

Trauma,

I appreciate your input and comments. If yo think the interview process was bad you should have gotten the job. You would have been called in every week about something, told you need to change yor offense, defense. Told who should play where, and the list goes on. I know people on here are going to say it is just sour grapes. I kept my mouth shut on these issues in respect for the administration, but if they are going to talk about me in the interview process all gloves are off. I rode my 4-wheeler to the practice field that Mickey Howard and myself built on my time off because it was used for transporting stuff to and from the field due to the fact administration would not pay 120 dollars for a storage container to keep stuff in. I took days that we were out of school that I could have spent with my children and drove a dump truck to get the dirt there for the field. Actually my boys had to ride with me. I, not the school or booster club went out and got donations to pay for the field. The boosters did help but did not build it. As a matter of fact when the roadgrader I had donated to use had a flat tire the administration wold not even pay the 125 dollars to have it fixed. They were absolutely no help on that issue. As a matter of fact they even told me when it was finished we would have to practice on the baseball field to keep from tearing it up for a year due to the sod. The sod company said 4 - 6 weeks. My son is the one who rode during practice due to the fact they had to come with me because the Boys and Girls club would not accept my 11 year old due to the fact he had cerebral palsey. In other counties he has been in after school programs with no problems. Yes the school bought a sled and new uniforms, but wasn't it about time for that. Most people don't know the process I went through to get those things. Pulling a tooth from a tiger would have been easier.

I can't believe that all that was said in the interview, oh wait yes I can it was behind my back. As far as discipline, once again the administration played a big part in what could and could not be done. I let a player come out half way through the season because he had to work due to being the only income the family had. When the parent started working again he came and asked me to play. I told him he could practice and play JV only. The next day I was in the office about a senior payer who had quit 3 times previously and told I had to do the same for him. That was bull crap and politics in its truest form. he Sequoyah philosophy should be as long as the parents don't complain everything will be okay.

One last thing to ask what would you do if your principal came down at halftime and told you that you needed to listen to Sharp because this game was a big game. During halftime when you are trying to work. This was all in the course of a normal season at SQHS. Do you really think a coach can operate that way? Now I feel better. I probably will not get a good reccomendation from the school but if you don't stand up for right then you will always be wrong.

Now you see whay I spent some time in the main building don't you, but I assure you it was not during practice time! The assistant coaching fiasco is another post in itself.

Jeff holloway

QUOTE(trauma @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:33 AM) 826345191[/snapback]

Your comments are respected. I agree the process is very flawed. I apologize on behalf of Sequoyah High School for your bad experience. I hope we can resolve this problem. I assure you it has been recognized and a solution should be in the near future. I thank you for your comments, and please accept our sincere apologies.

QUOTE(Sequoyah SID @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:07 AM) 826345226[/snapback]

Your comments are respected. I agree the process is very flawed. I apologize on behalf of Sequoyah High School for your bad experience. I hope we can resolve this problem. I assure you it has been recognized and a solution should be in the near future. I thank you for your comments, and please accept our sincere apologies.

Sorry KK it is hard to reamin positive when you find out someone you trusted talked about you like that to a total stranger behind your back and didn't have the facts straight.

QUOTE(Coach Holloway @ Jan 25 2007 - 11:06 AM) 826345225[/snapback]

Trauma,

I appreciate your input and comments. If yo think the interview process was bad you should have gotten the job. You would have been called in every week about something, told you need to change yor offense, defense. Told who should play where, and the list goes on. I know people on here are going to say it is just sour grapes. I kept my mouth shut on these issues in respect for the administration, but if they are going to talk about me in the interview process all gloves are off. I rode my 4-wheeler to the practice field that Mickey Howard and myself built on my time off because it was used for transporting stuff to and from the field due to the fact administration would not pay 120 dollars for a storage container to keep stuff in. I took days that we were out of school that I could have spent with my children and drove a dump truck to get the dirt there for the field. Actually my boys had to ride with me. I, not the school or booster club went out and got donations to pay for the field. The boosters did help but did not build it. As a matter of fact when the roadgrader I had donated to use had a flat tire the administration wold not even pay the 125 dollars to have it fixed. They were absolutely no help on that issue. As a matter of fact they even told me when it was finished we would have to practice on the baseball field to keep from tearing it up for a year due to the sod. The sod company said 4 - 6 weeks. My son is the one who rode during practice due to the fact they had to come with me because the Boys and Girls club would not accept my 11 year old due to the fact he had cerebral palsey. In other counties he has been in after school programs with no problems. Yes the school bought a sled and new uniforms, but wasn't it about time for that. Most people don't know the process I went through to get those things. Pulling a tooth from a tiger would have been easier.

I can't believe that all that was said in the interview, oh wait yes I can it was behind my back. As far as discipline, once again the administration played a big part in what could and could not be done. I let a player come out half way through the season because he had to work due to being the only income the family had. When the parent started working again he came and asked me to play. I told him he could practice and play JV only. The next day I was in the office about a senior payer who had quit 3 times previously and told I had to do the same for him. That was bull crap and politics in its truest form. he Sequoyah philosophy should be as long as the parents don't complain everything will be okay.

One last thing to ask what would you do if your principal came down at halftime and told you that you needed to listen to Sharp because this game was a big game. During halftime when you are trying to work. This was all in the course of a normal season at SQHS. Do you really think a coach can operate that way? Now I feel better. I probably will not get a good reccomendation from the school but if you don't stand up for right then you will always be wrong.

Now you see whay I spent some time in the main building don't you, but I assure you it was not during practice time! The assistant coaching fiasco is another post in itself.

Jeff holloway

Coach, my email is listed above. I have no loyalty to SQHS and esp. none to the principal and ad. If you would like to know what else was said, please let me know. Maybe you want to put this behind you and I understand. If you want to know what else was said "behind your back" I have no problem telling. I don't want to post it on here cause that would not help you or the situation.

And, the problems that arose during your tenure, I am not surprised with the way it was handled from the admin. I could get that just being there for an hour and a half.