Maryville

West/Central

Central/West

Halls

Powell

South Doyle

Clinton

Lenoir City

Maryville no one will stop. West should be #2 but not as strong as last year. Central could compete for #2 but their loss to West last year was humbling and they really have lost some good talent to graduation. Halls will improve the most and if I wasn't holding myself back could be 3rd if our line impresses. Powell & South Doyle is a toss up but with Wilcox supposedly going to Seymour I gave the edge to Powell just on history. Clinton continues to improve and I see the excitment coming back to that program after a long absence. Lenoir City I feel will struggle the most but you never know.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruse, you seem to know West pretty well. Prompts to ya. Your analysis on feeder program "stuff" is good but CAUTION!! West is giving it a pretty good go. Last year (1st year of program) they opened with 4 teams. Midgets played for Championship and got beat by Baby Roadrunners. Supermidgets were bad though. But, as I understand next year may turn some heads with a few "Pilot" coaches commited to coming with West zoned kids and Jeff Francis is moving over from Bearden youth bringing more West zoned kids. They are really trying to bring together WEST kids to play together. They are doing it right with Coach Cummings being the director of the program...they have to run his stuff..period. Good coaches for youth league for sure.

You make good, knowledgable points but youth leagues may change a bit. Tim Erwin better work even harder with his recruiting.

QUOTE(ruse? @ Jan 30 2007 - 07:30 AM) 826351365[/snapback]

Leonard.

That is a good point. I forgot about that. I also think that after this year's Bearden SR class moves on, West will pick up the talent that Catholic, Webb, and CAK does not. Bearden made some noise last year, and will do a bit more this time around. Hallady is a very underrated QB, Sean Cunningham could break out @ RB, Preston Rouse could get some carries, and made a difference last eyar on "D" before he got hurt. They also have some lineman (Shankles, Goodrich, Goultry, and Moore) that have a lot of experience. Thay also have a couple of LBs back in Hammilton & Pemberton. But after this year, it's back on the down slope. West benefits, grows, and perhaps you are right as the 08 alignment puts West in 5A for the 09 season.

QUOTE(amos @ Jan 30 2007 - 03:11 PM) 826351786[/snapback]

Ruse, you seem to know West pretty well. Prompts to ya. Your analysis on feeder program "stuff" is good but CAUTION!! West is giving it a pretty good go. Last year (1st year of program) they opened with 4 teams. Midgets played for Championship and got beat by Baby Roadrunners. Supermidgets were bad though. But, as I understand next year may turn some heads with a few "Pilot" coaches commited to coming with West zoned kids and Jeff Francis is moving over from Bearden youth bringing more West zoned kids. They are really trying to bring together WEST kids to play together. They are doing it right with Coach Cummings being the director of the program...they have to run his stuff..period. Good coaches for youth league for sure.

You make good, knowledgable points but youth leagues may change a bit. Tim Erwin better work even harder with his recruiting.

amos.

Yep, I was focused on the Super Midget Team. Glad to hear that Midget team did well. A word of caution back to ya though. Some programs have Midget age kids play Super Midget a year, and sometime two ahead. So a 7th grader might play up, and in some cases a 6th. This gets them ready for "real" football where of course there are no weight limmitations. You will see it mostly with lineman 7th graders that are beyond the Midget weight.

Sounds like West is moving in the right direction. When you start having the kids run the O/D that the HS runs, it helps. Now make sure about those Pilot guys. They (of course not those few) have been known to "scout and scoop." I think they got Andre Sterling from CBFO years ago doing that. He did go back.

I'm not partial to Catholic & hate em on the radio every week. Tim has done a good job; however, he is just a part of the machine that has grown from Magnolia to Cedar Bluff. I drove past there one day last fall, and they had 150 or so kids (youth ball) out there. That thing is going to turn into the next Murville.