Cascade @ Unionville

Treyvols99

I heard from an outsider about what happened at the game. I just want to say that I think it's ridiculous. Why are parents coming on the floor and fighting? That should absolutely be unacceptable. I understand taking up for your kid...but for grown ups to try and fight teenagers? Grow up. That is the craziest thing i've ever heard of. I had someone close to me get hit by a grownup and if I would have been there it would have been the last time he ever did that. I'm just blown away by the whole situation.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(eagle23 @ Jan 28 2007 - 12:09 AM) 826348925[/snapback]

I heard from an outsider about what happened at the game. I just want to say that I think it's ridiculous. Why are parents coming on the floor and fighting? That should absolutely be unacceptable. I understand taking up for your kid...but for grown ups to try and fight teenagers? Grow up. That is the craziest thing i've ever heard of. I had someone close to me get hit by a grownup and if I would have been there it would have been the last time he ever did that. I'm just blown away by the whole situation.

The adults who ended up on the floor were only trying to break up the fight. There were no adults fighting with players or between themselves. It was bad enough that the officials could not have stopped this by themselves. I think the parents acted as any parent would. This was not a free for all. Parents were not fighting with kids as far as I could see.

Parents shouldn’t have come on to the floor period. and yes players were "hit" run over (whatever you want to call it) by parents or fans coming out of the stands. How is that right in anyway? The fight wasn't that bad for anybody to come from the stands. I'm not on any side and i saw which parents came on to the floor and i was embarrassed for them. It's hard to talk about what really happen when it's coming from the Unionville side or the cascade side.

There's quite a bit of conversation around the community about the fight. Everybody has one, so here's my take. Community can't nwin the game. Their players realize this, but it is frustrating. Their whole season has been frustrating - there has been more talk about firing the coach than improving as a program. The accumulating frustration is obvious in the players (who, by the way, play as hard as anybody and were playing a pretty good game on Friday) and in the manner the Community coach handles himself. There was a very minor bump and a couple words exchanged on a buzzer shot at the half that the coach went crazy on screaming at the officials. There was a conference with both coaches at the half nabout calming their players down. In the third quarter the Community coach fusses at officials when he is told to take a player out for a cool down(the Cascade coach quitely replaced his player without being told). The officials were ball watchers who never saw any of the cheap shots being thrown. The community player involved in the fight throws a Cascade player down with an elbow 30 seconds before the fight. The three blind mice in stripes of course don't see that. Poor refs and a Community program that is an environment of frustration caused the fight. For the record here are some stats: Number of adults running on the floor in fight- Community 5 Cascade 0. Number of players hit by adults of opposing team- Community players 0 Cascade players 3.Both teams will have suspensions, but for Community who cares, Cascasde is making a run at the top of the district. Bottom line - Community needs to clean up their program (and maybe their school administration). Teach your kids to play basketball, hire a coach that will teach and respect the game and not try to blame individual kids for failures. Play hard Vikings and maybe someday the adults at your school will try as hard as you are.

QUOTE(dadukebluedevils @ Jan 28 2007 - 03:45 PM) 826349338[/snapback]

There's quite a bit of conversation around the community about the fight. Everybody has one, so here's my take. Community can't nwin the game. Their players realize this, but it is frustrating. Their whole season has been frustrating - there has been more talk about firing the coach than improving as a program. The accumulating frustration is obvious in the players (who, by the way, play as hard as anybody and were playing a pretty good game on Friday) and in the manner the Community coach handles himself. There was a very minor bump and a couple words exchanged on a buzzer shot at the half that the coach went crazy on screaming at the officials. There was a conference with both coaches at the half nabout calming their players down. In the third quarter the Community coach fusses at officials when he is told to take a player out for a cool down(the Cascade coach quitely replaced his player without being told). The officials were ball watchers who never saw any of the cheap shots being thrown. The community player involved in the fight throws a Cascade player down with an elbow 30 seconds before the fight. The three blind mice in stripes of course don't see that. Poor refs and a Community program that is an environment of frustration caused the fight. For the record here are some stats: Number of adults running on the floor in fight- Community 5 Cascade 0. Number of players hit by adults of opposing team- Community players 0 Cascade players 3.Both teams will have suspensions, but for Community who cares, Cascasde is making a run at the top of the district. Bottom line - Community needs to clean up their program (and maybe their school administration). Teach your kids to play basketball, hire a coach that will teach and respect the game and not try to blame individual kids for failures. Play hard Vikings and maybe someday the adults at your school will try as hard as you are.

Excellent post!!! Finally an unbias opnion of what actually happened.

QUOTE(dadukebluedevils @ Jan 28 2007 - 02:45 PM) 826349338[/snapback]

Doesn't matter about Community? Cascade making a run at the top? Both really matter. I don't live in Bedford County but like I posted previously, one if not both schools will likely lose any opportunity of playing in the tournaments because of this. Parents have no business on the floor and it is bad enough that the kids were fighting. Yes, referees should have better control of the game. But it boils down to how kids are raised, how they are coached. They have to control themselves in situations like this. Not everything in life is going to go our way. It would be sad if either team gets disqualified by this but I fully expect it from other times I've seen this happen.

QUOTE(papatiger @ Jan 28 2007 - 04:05 PM) 826349411[/snapback]

Doesn't matter about Community? Cascade making a run at the top? Both really matter. I don't live in Bedford County but like I posted previously, one if not both schools will likely lose any opportunity of playing in the tournaments because of this. Parents have no business on the floor and it is bad enough that the kids were fighting. Yes, referees should have better control of the game. But it boils down to how kids are raised, how they are coached. They have to control themselves in situations like this. Not everything in life is going to go our way. It would be sad if either team gets disqualified by this but I fully expect it from other times I've seen this happen.

Fighting in a game is not an option. It seems as if some adults there didn't make that clear if they are coming down to the gym floor themselves. Discipline the players involved and ban the adults that hit into players from the gym. If Community has been outplayed this year why are they focusing on what others are doing & not what they need to fix? Blaming others especially the refs is teaching kids not to worry about improving but complaining.

QUOTE(Coach_B @ Jan 28 2007 - 04:42 PM) 826349462[/snapback]

Fighting in a game is not an option. It seems as if some adults there didn't make that clear if they are coming down to the gym floor themselves. Discipline the players involved and ban the adults that hit into players from the gym. If Community has been outplayed this year why are they focusing on what others are doing & not what they need to fix? Blaming others especially the refs is teaching kids not to worry about improving but complaining.

REALLY, Does any of this suprise anybody. Both teams have had good players. But I have never been able to see the results of either coach. One is better because He has pick up a few kids that would never be able to play at Shelbyville. Yes the refs were bad , but 2 of them are always bad. The programs have great kids. JUST NO LEADERSHIP. Rick Insell never had this problem. Kevin never has this problem.And there is a good reason. (Its called controling your on players.) I,m even hearing that one of the coaches are trying to leave a go work for the other. Good Luck to all the players. Its really not your fault that your coaches have not tought you SELF-CONTROL. But this does not suprise me, with this happening to these two schools.

QUOTE(THA_MAN @ Jan 29 2007 - 12:04 AM) 826349883[/snapback]

REALLY, Does any of this suprise anybody. Both teams have had good players. But I have never been able to see the results of either coach. One is better because He has pick up a few kids that would never be able to play at Shelbyville. Yes the refs were bad , but 2 of them are always bad. The programs have great kids. JUST NO LEADERSHIP. Rick Insell never had this problem. Kevin never has this problem.And there is a good reason. (Its called controling your on players.) I,m even hearing that one of the coaches are trying to leave a go work for the other. Good Luck to all the players. Its really not your fault that your coaches have not tought you SELF-CONTROL. But this does not suprise me, with this happening to these two schools.

It is easy to blame this on the coaches!! Shelbyville has such a great program. Lets see, they coach by intimidation not by leadership. That why my child goes to Cascade. It was't the coaches that caused the melee. The old adage: THE APPLE DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE. It starts at home, not on the court and when parents are leading the fight put the blame where it actuall belongs, not on the coaches! Reread the post and see how many Cascade parents were fighting!!

QUOTE(dadukebluedevils @ Jan 28 2007 - 04:45 PM) 826349338[/snapback]

I don't really have a dog in this fight. However many statements being made are way off track. There were three camera views of this sitituation and none off them show any Community players throwing down a Cascade player prior to the fight. Nevertheless there was a Community player pushed down from behind about 10 sec. before the sitituation explodes( cascade player headlocking community player and slaming him to the floor). Leading up to this both teams were being very physical and throwing plenty off elbows (reffs should have stoped). Also the viedo never shows any parents throwing punches at anyone, only trying to pull kids off(parents shouldn't have come on floor). Both team were wrong in the way they acted. As far as coaches being able to control their kids and teaching them to play basketball the right way, Community didnt have any kids run off the bench(happened in front of Community bench) to jump in, while Cascade had some running to the pile. I hate this for both schools both are in a lose, lose sitituation. I hope all involved will use this for a learning experience and grow from their mistakes.

QUOTE(bjsdog @ Jan 29 2007 - 08:53 AM) 826350009[/snapback]

It is easy to blame this on the coaches!! Shelbyville has such a great program. Lets see, they coach by intimidation not by leadership. That why my child goes to Cascade. It was't the coaches that caused the melee. The old adage: THE APPLE DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE. It starts at home, not on the court and when parents are leading the fight put the blame where it actuall belongs, not on the coaches! Reread the post and see how many Cascade parents were fighting!!

I think that we should refrain from pointing fingers at Individuals until the Investigation is complete and punishment handed out. Do not drag the Shelbyville Coaches into the Disgrace that happened in Unionville as I believe they were both leading their teams to wins the same night. For you to state that they lead by Intimidation makes me laugh. It also makes me think that you have never been involved in half way decent level of Sports.