District Player and Coach of the year in 11AA

theglove d-up

Just curious what thoughts were on Player of the Year and Coach of the Year in 11AA? I'm not sure that anyone could argue that Mendenhall isn't the best player in the district, not to mention one of the best in the state, however, Hunter has had a productive year at Cheatham as well. I think it would have to be a two player race at this point. The third best might play along side Mendenhall at Harpeth.

Coach of the Year will be a close one. You have Montgomery Central and Waverly who have both played better than most expected. The same could be said for Cheatham with a very young team, Coach Carr always does a solid job! The new guy a Harpeth has kept a good basketball team on track and led them to just one loss in the state, and I was his biggest critic to begin the year, but that is sometimes a difficult task in itself. I would have really expected Coach Derrick to have been my pick to begin the season but Sycamore has struggled of late. That doesn't necessarily mean he is doing a poor coaching job, in fact, sometimes in these adverse situations the importance of the coach is even more extreme. What are some of your thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(utvols04 @ Feb 7 2007 - 02:54 PM) 826362279[/snapback]

I would definitely have to go with Mendenhall for player of the year. Hunter is a great prospect also, but will get her chance next year. As for coach of the year I would go with Creek Wood or Cheatham.

POY

1.Mendenhall

2.Hunter

3.Richardson/Flippo

COY

Coach Johnson from harpeth has to be top two, like dgloveup said in his first post, Johnson only has 1 loss in state, he has two post that are getting there first playing time in there career, and Harpeth is playing tremendous D because of him.

I personally think that Salem does more for the Harpeth team than Mendenhall. I remind you that it's the Most VALUABLE Player...not best player. If you take Salem off that team then who guards the other teams best player? Who gets Mendenhall the ball? She is a great defender, passer, and scorer in her own right. Now, don't get me wrong, Mendenhall is one of the best scorers I've seen in a long time on the girl's level. And she is a tremendous player...but to me she doesn't do enough of the other things to be considered most valuable.

I think Hunter at Cheatham is the same way. She does EVERYTHING for that team. Defends the best player, scores all the points, gets the ball to everyone else, and on most occasions is the leading rebounder!! She is my front runner for the MVP award, in my opinion. Because if you take her off that team then they are very, very mediocre. And there's no way they are in second place right now in the district. So my pick is Megan Hunter for MVP.

For coach of the year, I have no idea. Johnson, Carr, and the coach from Creekwood would have to be one of the ones to take it. Maybe the coach from Waverly...because they have way over achieved. But I really think it is a three-way horse race between the top 3's coaches.

QUOTE(scanooni22 @ Feb 8 2007 - 11:21 AM) 826363464[/snapback]

I personally think that Salem does more for the Harpeth team than Mendenhall. I remind you that it's the Most VALUABLE Player...not best player. If you take Salem off that team then who guards the other teams best player? Who gets Mendenhall the ball? She is a great defender, passer, and scorer in her own right. Now, don't get me wrong, Mendenhall is one of the best scorers I've seen in a long time on the girl's level. And she is a tremendous player...but to me she doesn't do enough of the other things to be considered most valuable.

I think Hunter at Cheatham is the same way. She does EVERYTHING for that team. Defends the best player, scores all the points, gets the ball to everyone else, and on most occasions is the leading rebounder!! She is my front runner for the MVP award, in my opinion. Because if you take her off that team then they are very, very mediocre. And there's no way they are in second place right now in the district. So my pick is Megan Hunter for MVP.

For coach of the year, I have no idea. Johnson, Carr, and the coach from Creekwood would have to be one of the ones to take it. Maybe the coach from Waverly...because they have way over achieved. But I really think it is a three-way horse race between the top 3's coaches.

Salem?????????you've got to be joking. She's only learned how to PASS the ball in the last couple of weeks. She can rebound, defend and score, however as for her shot selection, she has a lot more learning to do. And what about her Attitude? Consistency? Best all around player, that's what MVP is about, and Mandy Mendenhall has that hands down!!!!

I agree with csmanz 100%. Your analogy could go either way, Mandy gives salem the ball a lot more than salem gives the ball to mandy. Salem shoots the ball atleast 9 or 10 more times than mandy does. And Mandy often guards the best player on the court for the other team, especially if there is a big girl.

Waverly overachieve? Why is it that when other teams win they are good, but when Waverly wins, it's overachieving? They are coming on, maturing. They are mostly juniors too. I guess next year they will overachieve.

Oh, by the way, they overachieved for the 7th game in a row tonight. I think they can win tomorrow night over Creek Wood and Monday against Cheatham.

Player of the year- Mendenhall Harpeth

Coach of the year- Marva Rawlings Waverly

QUOTE(Slube @ Feb 8 2007 - 10:26 PM) 826364530[/snapback]

POY -- Mendenhall (Harpeth)

COY -- Tom Mullinicks (Creek Wood)

Even if Waverly wins tomorrow night? Waverly had a ten pt. lead that they blew in the 4th qtr. against CW the first game and lost by one. They played horrible in the 4th qtr. by their own demise.

I think Waverly will win tomorrow night. So I still say, Rawlings, COY

QUOTE(papatiger @ Feb 8 2007 - 10:38 PM) 826364555[/snapback]

Even if Waverly wins tomorrow night? Waverly had a ten pt. lead that they blew in the 4th qtr. against CW the first game and lost by one. They played horrible in the 4th qtr. by their own demise.

I think Waverly will win tomorrow night. So I still say, Rawlings, COY

Yes papa, I read your previous post with your PREDICTIONS.

Then I gave mine.

Do I think you're wrong, NO, because it is simply a PREDICTION.

I chose not to defend nor argue my PREDICTION, and I have not and will not challenge yours.

I think you might be correct, as a matter of fact, but I just did not see Creek Wood playing this well this year, simply my opinion. I did think that Waverly was being picked too low at the beginning of the year, so they're right where I thought they would be.

Chill out dude and quit seeming that you are offended everytime someone does not agree with you.

Peace out, and I still look forward to meeting you. Gotta hustle out towards the gym, big game, I hear Harpeth and Sycamore are going to play.

QUOTE(HHSnumber1fan @ Feb 9 2007 - 05:20 PM) 826365453[/snapback]

Yes papa, I read your previous post with your PREDICTIONS.

Then I gave mine.

Do I think you're wrong, NO, because it is simply a PREDICTION.

I chose not to defend nor argue my PREDICTION, and I have not and will not challenge yours.

I think you might be correct, as a matter of fact, but I just did not see Creek Wood playing this well this year, simply my opinion. I did think that Waverly was being picked too low at the beginning of the year, so they're right where I thought they would be.

Chill out dude and quit seeming that you are offended everytime someone does not agree with you.

Peace out, and I still look forward to meeting you. Gotta hustle out towards the gym, big game, I hear Harpeth and Sycamore are going to play.

Well spoken. No harm intended. I understand fully and look forward to meeting you too.

By the way, Waverly lost tonight. Had 3 girls to foul out but Creek Wood just out physicaled us tonight. We couldn't hit the side of the barn either. Congratulations Creek Wood, you are a classy team with a classy coach.