winning&playing as a team

sportsnut46

I have read a lot posts on coach t about how elementary school sports are not about winning and losing. It is supposed to prepare each kid for the next level. Too much emphasis is put on winning rather teaching the sport to the child. My question is this: What about the kids who don't play in high school? Is it fair to them for the coach not to worry about W's and L's? Not all kids are blessed enough to be able to play at the high school level. So, I would think the ones who don't play a particular sport in high school could look back on their elementary memories more favorable if they played on a winning team. I would also like for someone to define the term "playing as a team." If you have a player averaging 20 points per game and another one averaging 17 or 18, but the team's record happens to be 20-5, are they not playing as a team? Every team, especially your good teams, have their go to people. If you don't have every player taking an equal number of shots in a game then are you guilty of not playing as a team? I guess it goes back to how much emphasis is put on winning.

QUOTE(sportsnut46 @ Feb 8 2007 - 02:09 PM) 826363737[/snapback]

I have read a lot posts on coach t about how elementary school sports are not about winning and losing. It is supposed to prepare each kid for the next level. Too much emphasis is put on winning rather teaching the sport to the child. My question is this: What about the kids who don't play in high school? Is it fair to them for the coach not to worry about W's and L's? Not all kids are blessed enough to be able to play at the high school level. So, I would think the ones who don't play a particular sport in high school could look back on their elementary memories more favorable if they played on a winning team. I would also like for someone to define the term "playing as a team." If you have a player averaging 20 points per game and another one averaging 17 or 18, but the team's record happens to be 20-5, are they not playing as a team? Every team, especially your good teams, have their go to people. If you don't have every player taking an equal number of shots in a game then are you guilty of not playing as a team? I guess it goes back to how much emphasis is put on winning.

Realistically, whether people admit it or not, wins and losses is the main focus at almost any level. As far as playing as a team, I guess everybody would have their own opinion as to what that means.

QUOTE(bubblegum99 @ Feb 8 2007 - 03:26 PM) 826363887[/snapback]

Realistically, whether people admit it or not, wins and losses is the main focus at almost any level. As far as playing as a team, I guess everybody would have their own opinion as to what that means.

NOT BEING ALL ABOUT ONE PLAYER TRYING TO BE THE STAR OR COACHES KIDS TRYING TO BE THE STARS. ETC. NOT PASSING WHEN OTHERS HAVE BETTERS SHOTS THAN YOU DO. NOT PLAYING SELFISHLY. WIN TOGETHER LOSE TOGETHER. THESE ARE SOME THINGS I CAN THINK OF.

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(bubblegum99 @ Feb 8 2007 - 03:26 PM) 826363887[/snapback]Realistically, whether people admit it or not, wins and losses is the main focus at almost any level. As far as playing as a team, I guess everybody would have their own opinion as to what that means.

What that means to me is that life happens and sports are great. Now the key is having the right adults in charge of our kids. The right adult balances all of the scenarios and finds the right approach for the kids. The right adult knows how to teach discipline in a fun way. The right adult knows how to squeeze a pizza party in between a champioship season. Success is different for each individual kid. A title will bring back a certain percentage of children to play again but there are kids on that very same team that aren't happy. Our goals is to keep kids playing teamsports as long as we can. Push the star and still make the bench a fun place to be.

QUOTE(tigerfan0810 @ Feb 24 2007 - 10:52 AM) 826387146[/snapback]What that means to me is that life happens and sports are great. Now the key is having the right adults in charge of our kids. The right adult balances all of the scenarios and finds the right approach for the kids. The right adult knows how to teach discipline in a fun way. The right adult knows how to squeeze a pizza party in between a champioship season. Success is different for each individual kid. A title will bring back a certain percentage of children to play again but there are kids on that very same team that aren't happy. Our goals is to keep kids playing teamsports as long as we can. Push the star and still make the bench a fun place to be.

Good Post.