TOP STATE TEAMS

gameball

I need this info by Feb13th for some rankings actually at the national level. So here are my rules:

Give me your top 3 teams and the Div (ex you can name me 3 from all 3 Div (ie:AAA, A/AA Div2) but I need your reasons why!!! You don't have to do but 1 Div., I only want the info you know and can make a case for!

This should not be a comment board because you disagree with someone's picks, unless you know some inside scoop like that teams best player quit, was kicked off, or along those lines which would reduce a Team's Power.

PLEASE ,PLEASE don't get on here about a team unless you can back it up in your reasoning and not that you just feel that your team should be good. Ethnocentricty, is great but Please don't use this to sell your own team unless you have a case and can convince me by your reasonings!!

I already have a wealth of info for 2007 Tenn HS Soccer, but I want to hear from you what I might haved missed

Thanks,

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only going to nominate the division that I really know about. While I have a lot of knowledge about AAA teams from Knoxville, I don't really know to much across the state, so I will stick with A/AA

Catholic: Coming from a great history of soccer, this team is coming off of a first year state final run. While they lost some key players, they bring back some of the best midfielders as well as one of the most talented keepers in the state. Their coach is a great one, with a wealth of soccer knowledge that he brings to his talented players. I would imagine them going far again this season.

FRA: I never count these guys out. Coach Mac is top notch. One of the best (if not the best) coach in the south east. If you look back over the past 5 years, they have always had top quality teams. Technically and tactically they are always sound. I believe they have qualified for the state tournament the last 4 years in a row.

Notre Dame: Down but not out. They had a tough break last year, but also have a history of a well developed program. A hard physical team that also has one of the best coaches in the state. I am not sure how much talent they lost last season, but am glad to hear that they will again be eligible for the tournament.

If you need key players, I can get them for you, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Thanks Coach ! It is very humble to not put on your team on the list, but I know better you still have some old and some new and some back from Fla. .

A kink in your thoughts though and this is why I need input. Catholic's Coach has resigned. He will have some input and assist but day to day technical Knowledge is gone! The new guy is a nice coach but no where near the talent Rosenbald was. They will be good but lost a lot last year and the coaching change will prove Coaches do make a difference no matter what the level of Talent. Please3 tell me about CAK.

I need this type of input!! Thanks

I think Peter (Rosenblad) will still be involved with the team some, so his presence will still be felt. They also have the talent. I would still pick them in my top 3. (personally, I think that Hoya should come out of retirement and show those boys his mad skills!)

As far as CAK goes, how bout I just give you a "numbers" thing, and let others say their opinions.

We have 14 returning players (6 seniors). Both goal keepers are back (Brent Davidson and Drew Gorman)

We have David Pifer and his brother who transfered from Martin Westview when their dad became the girl's coach here at CAK. David is an all state senior and Chris is a sophomore.

We have 40 kids trying out this year (huge for a small school as ours) and there are some younger "diamonds in the rough" that should make their presence known.

And yes, that young asian man is back from the National Team. Brandon Tarr is a junior and will have 2 years left to play at CAK.

CAK's coach is getting old and a little pudgy around the mid-section. He has failed to realize that he can't keep up with 18 year olds, so he pops advil and ice packs every night. Luckily, he has a very understanding wife, who for some reason, still thinks he is an ok guy.

Christian Brothers That team, even with a few tough breaks in the past couple years, has been at the top of my list since Crouse (I think that's how you spell it) graduated. They very well could have had a perfect season last year. Many of the boys play select and the quality of those select teams is very high.

Baylor They have always had a good program under, possibly, the best coach in the state. In the past three years they haven't lost any one game by more than one point in regular and post season. I also heard one of the Smith boys is back from IMG.

Farragut Always a solid team that, in my opinion, could beat any Tennessee team on any given day.

QUOTE(BigG @ Feb 9 2007 - 04:02 PM) 826365310[/snapback]

CAK's coach is getting old and a little pudgy around the mid-section. He has failed to realize that he can't keep up with 18 year olds, so he pops advil and ice packs every night. Luckily, he has a very understanding wife, who for some reason, still thinks he is an ok guy.

A little old?

You are right. Kelly Smith came back from Florida this year for his junior year. Baylor lost I think 13 players from last year. But have alot of strong juniors and seniors this year. Will be somewhat of a rebuilding year but with Coach Weekley and new asst Coach Curtis Blair...Baylor will will strong again.

QUOTE(Han Solo @ Feb 9 2007 - 09:43 PM) 826365617[/snapback]

Christian Brothers That team, even with a few tough breaks in the past couple years, has been at the top of my list since Crouse (I think that's how you spell it) graduated. They very well could have had a perfect season last year. Many of the boys play select and the quality of those select teams is very high.

Baylor They have always had a good program under, possibly, the best coach in the state. In the past three years they haven't lost any one game by more than one point in regular and post season. I also heard one of the Smith boys is back from IMG.

Farragut Always a solid team that, in my opinion, could beat any Tennessee team on any given day.

On the top A/AA teams. I would have to go with

1. CAK- they have won the championship several years in a row and have some great returning players.

2. CPA- They are the team to beat in Middle Tennessee. Most of the starting line-up returns in 2007. Played CAK to a shoot-out in the state tourney. (It would be an outrage if they end up matched up with them in the 1st round again)

3. Either Catholic or Notre Dame.

Top D2 teams:

MBA-had a great year last year with a young team that took CBHS to pk's. alexander darsinos is back along with most of their starters from last year. with the advantage of a more experienced team, expect them to have another great year.

BGA- lost some key players from last years state championship season(Dawes,Bristol,Wonderlin) but still return a good amout of talent. it'll be tougher on them this season but this team still has enough experience and talent to compete for a championship.

CBHS-has had some bad luck the past 2 years, but if you look at it, 2 consecutive state championship appearances isnt all that bad. don't count them out of a third appearance.

A/AA

1.CAK - Um Dynasty maybe? BigG gave all the info up top of who they are returning. Plus the return of Brandon Tarr, need i say more? The 1 game i have seen CAK play they are very disciplined. They are the team to beat again.

2. Catholic - They will be hungry to get back at CAK. They were pretty even last year, splitting wins through the seaon with CAK, plus 1 tie. I look for them to make another run.

3. Notre Dame - To me this team has underachieved the past 2 years. They had a lot of quality players each year, but could not get it done in the big game. They are well coached for a fact, since i played club for the coach a few years. I look for them to get over the hurdle this year and make some well deserved noise in A/AA.

I can only offer info on the teams from the east, but I do think 2 of the 4 will find their way to the finals.

AAA

1. Farragut: Bringing back a squad with mostly seniors with a alot of talent. They have every area of the field covered from goalie to forward. It should be an emotional year for those guys trying to win the big one for their coach.

2. Bearden: Also bringing back lots of talent from back to front. Style of play that gives them numerous opportunities, plus a smothering defense. The one question will be can they replace the talent they lost on the back line? Usually they do.

A/AA

1. CAK: Brings back the x-factor from Florida who should lead them in goals scored and possibly lead the state in that category. Most of the team plays together year round and of course their coach who squeaks every bit of talent out of them.

2. Catholic: Will have a hard time replacing leaders on the front and back line. A good goalie who will be tested early in the season until they figure out who will be the sweeper. A talented midfield with one proven striker. The question will come down to depth as they usually played only 14 players for most of the season.

Suprises could be West and Maryville. Both squads have improved tremendously over the last few seasons and could find their way to the final 8.

Anyway I see two of the first four finding their way to the final.

QUOTE(gameball @ Feb 9 2007 - 03:29 PM) 826365262[/snapback]Thanks Coach ! It is very humble to not put on your team on the list, but I know better you still have some old and some new and some back from Fla. .

A kink in your thoughts though and this is why I need input. Catholic's Coach has resigned. He will have some input and assist but day to day technical Knowledge is gone! The new guy is a nice coach but no where near the talent Rosenbald was. They will be good but lost a lot last year and the coaching change will prove Coaches do make a difference no matter what the level of Talent. Please3 tell me about CAK.

I need this type of input!! Thanks

Mark Lieter was the assistant boys coach at Catholic. I believe he and coach Rosenbald switched positions. I also believe Mark was the state Coach of the Year in one of the polls for the girls in 2005 so I don't think coaching will be an issue.