Tryouts

ah20

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I would be really curious to know this, as well.

To be "eligible" for CAK varsity, they need to run a 13:30 two mile, with a 10 minute rest, then a 6:30 one mile. They also have to be able to juggle a ball at least 50 times. That doesn't guarantee a spot (we had some great players that accomplished this but are on our JV team... hence me being awake at 1:00 a.m. after having to make that decision) but puts them in the "pool". I know some teams carry 30+ guys. I'm not one who can do that. Depending on numbers, I usually carry between 18-20 varsity players.

Hoya, what does Catholic do? Any other teams have "requirements" for their squads, or does the coach just pick?

QUOTE(BigG @ Feb 15 2007 - 01:00 AM) 826372579[/snapback]

Actually, I would be really curious to know this, as well.

Hoya, what does Catholic do?

Golly Bum, Doggone, GeeWiz, it's been so long since this old coach saw a tryout that he can hardly remember what one looks like!

Back in the day, when I first started as a parent with with Catholic in 1999, soccer was kind of down at Catholic even though there were some terrific individual players. The school didn't have a field back then. Only about 7 or 8 club players came out that first year and there was a total of only about 15 or 16 boys who wanted to play. By the time Jeff Schiding coached the team to our first state tournament in a few years in 2001, we had moved to the new campus, had club players at every position and had around 25 coming out annually. During my coaching years at Catholic (2001-2004) there were no set tryout "tests" or hurdles, just four or five days of observations of skill levels, teamwork, effort and attitude. Reaching a team consensus wasn't very difficult in most years. Coming from some pretty intense club teams, we mostly decided to try to make high school ball a little more relaxed and fun.

Now, after six state tournaments in a row, soccer is a lot more popular at the school to the point were I understand over 50 boys are trying out this season. That number is just incredible to me. I haven't worked with the team for a couple of years. I am pretty sure though that Peter and Mark still have no set "tests".

Good luck to all this season, and a bit of better luck to the Irish!

i would think that some solid contribtors may only be able to juggle the ball 30 or 40 times or even less. there are many times in all sports where a player contributes more than someone with better skills becaus of effort and the intense will to be succesful and actually are more productive on the field then someone who is superb "skills".

QUOTE(chattanooga @ Feb 15 2007 - 09:27 PM) 826373611[/snapback]

i would think that some solid contribtors may only be able to juggle the ball 30 or 40 times or even less. there are many times in all sports where a player contributes more than someone with better skills becaus of effort and the intense will to be succesful and actually are more productive on the field then someone who is superb "skills".

I completely agree, but juggling is something that, with practice, can be improved very easily. When players know what is expected of them far in advance, they have time to work on what they need to. So a good player who can't juggle 50 but still has the desire and passion for the game, but not as superb skills, has time to work on juggling. This not only shows skill, but also committment and a willingness to work hard, which is something many coaches look for.

QUOTE(chattanooga @ Feb 15 2007 - 09:27 PM) 826373611[/snapback]

I pretty much agree with you. If we had a juggling test at Catholic, I'm not sure we could have fielded a complete team in some years--unless the test number was in the single digits.

On the other hand, I think the best skill players I've been around are all excellent jugglers. That's where they get their all important first touch. Adam Montgomery, now playing for Memphis, is a great example. He is one of the best skill players I can think of to come from East Tennessee (Morristown West) and, without exageration, he can juggle a ball non-stop until he simply gets tired. I don't think I've ever seen him lose a ball on his first touch.

I must admit, I'd love to see if BigG pass that CAK test.

QUOTE(Hoya @ Feb 16 2007 - 08:50 AM) 826374198[/snapback]

I must admit, I'd love to see if BigG pass that CAK test.

Shoot, hoya... I can pass the test. My juggling numbers just don't start over if the ball hits the ground, and as far as the mile time, I am allowed to do it in my car. I did have to do it twice to make it though, but only because I had trouble shifting from park to drive.

As far as the juggling and mile times I understand what chattanooga is saying, and I agree with you BUT my players know about the times and the juggles a year before try outs. What I want to see is the level of committment and passion that people are willing to work to get to that point. Brandon Tarr is an outstanding player, but he is a horrible juggler. He still can do 50, though. The running is hard, but it shows me that these players are committed to starting their conditioning months before season... that way I don't have to waste my practice time getting them in shape. We have other things to work on.

Lastly it also adds a level of objectivity to try outs, which helps my coaches evaluate the players. It also has seemed to work pretty well.

Our tryout strategy is simple.

We put all the boys in a darkened room with a box of Kleenex each. We then put on the Movie "The Notebook". The kids with unopened Kleenex boxes at the end are on the team, the others are redirected to the Boys Synchronized Swimming Coach.

Seriously though, anybody who wants to play soccer is allowed to since our school enforces a minimum number of Phys Ed credits to graduate and a lot of kids enjoy soccer. We have a JV and Varsity team and it is always great when you find a diamond in the rough that you had not anticipated at the start fo the season.