Bracket Busters

gumbi1031

This year had as many early upsets and surprises as any tournament I can remember. Who were the biggest bracket busters?

One that deserves some notice (finally) is Cory Alexander (125) from Northwest High School. He had critics from the region 9 area all year long that said he didn't work hard enough and was too cocky. He walked into the tournament with one loss but still was not picked to place. He would eventually defeat the 6th, 5th, and 4th place finishers in the tournament and holds a victory over the 2nd place finisher. His one loss in the tourny came to Graham of Bradley Central, the eventual champion.

Who else surprised people by defeating top notch opponents and winning medals?

Let's see...

Davis from Franklin beating McCroskey...

Umm...Pipkin beating Randolph in the 112 Consolation finals..

Alexander was not too much of surprise, in my opinion, just because I knew what he was capable of....

Oh yeah, another surprise was Kelly Felix winning the 145..

HAHAHHAA...riiiiight...

QUOTE(nununu @ Feb 17 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826376140[/snapback]

Trent Gibbs of Antioch was a definite bracket buster. An unknown, who has not wrestled since 8th grade, came into the tournament and placed 4th at HWT. Did better than the Science Hill kid, who did not place, beat Waynick of Friendship Chr., and Zimmerman of Soddy. Mad props to him!!!

Trent Gibbs did an outstanding job. It was a highlight of my day to see someone like him do as well as he did . I've known Trent sense he was a seventh grader and you won't find a finer young man . He will go far in life . Also while i'm here congrats go to Kerry Dowell .

Lloyd Kittrell