State Tournament Officiating

stumpguy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stumpguy @ Feb 17 2007 - 12:26 PM) 826376059[/snapback]

I know this is not a popular topic unless it is an "arm chair quarterback" making a call from the stands that an official missed on the mat....but now that the high school season is over let's hear about the positives in our Officials. Who selects the officials for the State tournament??

Overall pretty good. I saw a couple of blown calls but I don't think poor officiating was one of the top stories in the tournament.

I did notice a some inconsistancy calling falls. In the finals ( from my view from the second level ) it appeared one Bradley kid had his opponent, nailed , glued and screwed to the floor. The fall came about 20 seconds later. Another Bradley wrestler was on his back and the pin came in a fraction of a second. Looked to me like one shoulder was up a couple of inches. I think he may have been pinned in a few seconds anyway as he was caught pretty good but I would have liked to have seen him have a little longer to fight it.

QUOTE(maj @ Feb 17 2007 - 11:46 AM) 826376088[/snapback]

Overall pretty good. I saw a couple of blown calls but I don't think poor officiating was one of the top stories in the tournament.

I did notice a some inconsistancy calling falls. In the finals ( from my view from the second level ) it appeared one Bradley kid had his opponent, nailed , glued and screwed to the floor. The fall came about 20 seconds later. Another Bradley wrestler was on his back and the pin came in a fraction of a second. Looked to me like one shoulder was up a couple of inches. I think he may have been pinned in a few seconds anyway as he was caught pretty good but I would have liked to have seen him have a little longer to fight it.

Yep you sure have a better look from the second level than the official down on the mat looking for a pin. Did you know that there is a two second count before the wrestler is pinned? Also a ref can count on and as he is about to hit two the shoulder comes up.... I am so glad that people in the stands can see so much better than an official....

By the way before anyone else decides to put their two cents worth in about officials that we name no names because one official got named in an earlier post and it was not the official that was named it was infact another official that they meant to comment on.. Next if anyone here thinks they could be a better official lets get regestered with the TSSAA and get on the mat because im sure they will use you because you sure know more about the rules than they do.... note sarcasum is being used about any stand ref getting on the mat...

QUOTE(amIaCoach @ Feb 17 2007 - 01:11 PM) 826376138[/snapback]

By the way before anyone else decides to put their two cents worth in about officials that we name no names because one official got named in an earlier post and it was not the official that was named it was infact another official that they meant to comment on.. Next if anyone here thinks they could be a better official lets get regestered with the TSSAA and get on the mat because im sure they will use you because you sure know more about the rules than they do.... note sarcasum is being used about any stand ref getting on the mat...

Careful folks, Mr " amIaCoach " is having a bad day. Maybe somebody peed in his cornflakes this morning, or perhaps the dog crapped on his rug again and he stepped in it without his fuzzy slippers on, dissapointment in the bedroom ?, who knows ?, any number of things could be the catalyst for his surly disposition. Whatever you do don't say the officiating was anything less than 100% correct 100% percent of the time. All the officials had to have been perfect in every way. When they weren't on the mat they were serving meals at the local shelter and reading to terminal patients at the hospital while working on their humanities doctorates. I am thinking there may be a bran deficiency in his diet no doubt tied in with the cornflakes issue and I was wrong to add to his problems.

Because I have no desire to offend such a troubled man I do hereby retract my truly offensive opinion that there MAY have been some slight inconsistancy in the way pins were called during the finals matches. Officiating was flawless. Tapes of all matches should be used during any classes for aspiring referees.

QUOTE(maj @ Feb 17 2007 - 12:56 PM) 826376225[/snapback]

Careful folks, Mr " amIaCoach " is having a bad day. Maybe somebody peed in his cornflakes this morning, or perhaps the dog crapped on his rug again and he stepped in it without his fuzzy slippers on, dissapointment in the bedroom ?, who knows ?, any number of things could be the catalyst for his surly disposition. Whatever you do don't say the officiating was anything less than 100% correct 100% percent of the time. All the officials had to have been perfect in every way. When they weren't on the mat they were serving meals at the local shelter and reading to terminal patients at the hospital while working on their humanities doctorates. I am thinking there may be a bran deficiency in his diet no doubt tied in with the cornflakes issue and I was wrong to add to his problems.

Because I have no desire to offend such a troubled man I do hereby retract my truly offensive opinion that there MAY have been some slight inconsistancy in the way pins were called during the finals matches. Officiating was flawless. Tapes of all matches should be used during any classes for aspiring referees.

Want to realy know what the porblem is with wrestling??? Parents that don't know the rules.... Not saying all of them dont but the majority doesn't.. There is no official that is 100% correct all the time. They do their best in one of the most difficult sprots to call. Every official has his day and there are calls that are missed. Im just saying that a lot of people I hear in the stands complaining either doesn't under stand what is being called or not called. As for Pins there is no one in a better position in calling pins other than the official on the mat. He is there looking right at the shoulders. There is also a two second count in High school wrestling. Unlike frestyle where the shoulders touch it is over. Many of time I have called wrestle offs and guess what a kid can keep his shoulder inches off the mat for 20 seconds.....

Is called constructive criticism. I agree that there needs to be more consistant officiating in the state tournament. I was not there this year, but I know that refs from out west take longer to call stalling than other refs from around the state. I know stalling is a judgment call, but is there a way they can be more consistant?

QUOTE(amIaCoach @ Feb 17 2007 - 12:58 PM) 826376111[/snapback]

Yep you sure have a better look from the second level than the official down on the mat looking for a pin. Did you know that there is a two second count before the wrestler is pinned? Also a ref can count on and as he is about to hit two the shoulder comes up.... I am so glad that people in the stands can see so much better than an official....

Concerning the Bradley wrestler, my kids noticed it before I did, then they replayed it on T.V., sure enough his shoulder was not on the mat. Why are you getting so defensive, he was just giving us his opinion. If my young children have a question about the call, I'm sure an adult with a more trained eye can see more clearly, can't they. Also the call on Andy Siler in the 130 consolation semi's was pretty bad. 5-0 lead, Andy had already pinned Daniels in like a minute during the regular season, then they call him for slam. Daniels doesn't continue and Andy gets dq. Andy started for 4 years never got called for anything to get dq, so he waits till now to slam someone. Rhea coach might should'ev stepped in and said something, that kind of sportsmanship has happened before. Daniel Tolbert got hit in the groin, dropped to his knees and the ref waited till his opponent got the takedown and was wrenching on his shoulder before the official decided somthing might really be wrong. Officials shouldn't show their bias but they do. If you can't see that then you may be an official. Where is instant replay, that would be intresting but you guys, I mean the officials could always fall back on the ole judgement call. Judge, Jury, and Disqualifier. I would like to mention the great job that Eddie Davis, Jr., Don Elsea, and Gene Baughn, who is my favorite, great energy and enthusiasm.

QUOTE(dragon12 @ Feb 17 2007 - 01:22 PM) 826376274[/snapback]

Is called constructive criticism. I agree that there needs to be more consistant officiating in the state tournament. I was not there this year, but I know that refs from out west take longer to call stalling than other refs from around the state. I know stalling is a judgment call, but is there a way they can be more consistant?

Could have some state wide training. I heard that Ken Mera is running a clinic now for TSSAA that officials are going to be requiered to attend..

The officiating was not perfect mind you, but there were some inconsistentcy in regards to the way calls were made.

The Div II 140 semi finals match between Bell and Cash was just one example where a wrestler was allowed to stall the entire period and not one call was made. The official as set by the provisions in the rule book shall penalize stalling immediately. On two occasions Bell held on the legs of Cash at the line never working to back to the hip and not one stalling call came against Bell. Cash came to his feet 10-12 times in the second period.

The Div I 160 finals match with Wright and Creagan. Wright got on his bicycle during the last period and the official made the call way too late.

The Div II 189 finals match with Williams and Mix. Williams stalled the entire third period and the call if made was late.

The Div I 152 finals match with Spain and Toney. The official awarded a stalling point to the offensive wrestler. The bottom guy could not move because the top guy was literally sitting on his hips.

The Div I finals match at 189 Robertson and Hall from Maryville. There was a situation where the match should have been stalemated. The official allowed them to sit there for nearly 40 seconds before stopping the action. Neither wrestler could improve their position and therefore the official shall, as soon as possible STOP the match and wrestling shall be resumed as for an out of bounds.

The above examples are in NO WAY meant to diminish the State Champions. Bell, Wright, Williams and Spain are the State Champions and Congratulations to those guys. They're not at all responsible for the actions and calls of the officials.

So before the comments pour in about someone whinning, I'm NOT. But unless there is a level on consistency attained with the ranks of high school officiating this will continue. I don't have a dog in the fight as of yet. But, when he does get to Chattanooga he'll have already learned to never leave it the guy wearing the stripes.

Now, on the positive. There were far far more instances of really good officials having not missed a beat. However, we have a tendency, myself included to focus on the mistakes. For those officials that did a good job and you know who you are, THANK YOU. My comments are merely meant and should be taken in a constructive manner.

I went down to watch the last two days of wrestling. I know that there is a lot of judgement calls and I for one do not want to be the one who decides a match. But I do have a couple of questions that someone on here may be able to answer....

1) what justifies loss/gain of control. From what I could see in the tourny the officials can not agree on this. To me it seems some maybe are leaning a little more toward freestyle rules, which is fine. I would just like to see everyone agree on teh same standards.

2) stalling? I remember when you would be hit for stalling if you took a step back from the neutral position, has the tssaa stopped doing that?

3)Should a ref be allowed to officate his own school? It should not be allowed in any sport for that matter.

Maybe for State, officials from KY or GA should be brought in so that there's no chance for "hometown officiating" to be a factor.

I noticed more than one occasion where a chatt school would get a call to go his way because of which official he had and what school he was from, when another school from Memphis or Nashville, or anywhere but Chatt., wouldn't have had the same call.