Scrimmages - Do they really mean anything?

OnThePitch

Many posters put a lot of emphasis on how teams do in scrimmages? Why? Better coaches without egos, try lots of combinations to see what works and doesn't and some coaches do whatever it takes to win to say they won. If I was a coach, I would rather have a look at what I have so when the season starts, I am good to go. Scrimmages season is fixing to begin and some give so much power to it , I just don't see it , how about you?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people do look to far into the result of scrimmages. Me, I believe they are a way for coaches to get a better look in a game like situation. Its a good time to flip flop players in different positions, to see where you can get the best out of your players. It is also a time to get the players use to playing there new rolls, or getting use to new players on the team. It is good to win, but in a scrimmage, the result doesn't matter.

You are going to see over the next several weeks, alot of people bragging about scrimmage outcomes. You will also find teams that sub only 1-2 players. I personally think that this is a time to work out your lineups, and give some of the younger guys a time to play. Now, saying that, I still try to win. But you need to be smart in your scrimmage schedule. I try and schedule teams that will most benefit what my guys need to get out of pre-season. I actually like playing one half all out with my starters, and play the second half with a base core, and periferal players trying new spots.

So what if you go 0-5 in pre-season. As long as your team in improving, that is all that matters. Shoot, our first scrimmage 5 years ago, we lost 5-0 to Lenoir city, a year after that, we got drilled by Bearden 5-1, and then we lost to FRA in 2005 4-2. So.. lose the ones you can, win the ones you have to. Scrimmages are just advanced game situational practices in my mind.

QUOTE(The King of the Burbs @ Feb 19 2007 - 11:36 AM) 826379059[/snapback]Scrimmages dont mean anything. All it does is show the coach who can play what position and what combinations work. Farragut scrimmaged atleast 5 times last season, didnt win one and only scored one goal and they wound up in the state semi finals...

That is because our coach is more about seeing who fits than are we the best. Last year he told us over and over scrimmages don't prove anything except to coaches. I personally would rather win but understand, because I want to do like Big G says, Win the ones you have to!