Forrest vs Van Buren

meg25

First off, I would like to say congrats to the girls for their success this year. After losing a starter to injury, we all had doubts about the rest of the season. Hopefully next year will be injury free and we can build on what we accomplished this year. But what we don't need is the negativity some people are bringing to this board. I'm sure the players are reading this or hearing about it. This is the way to divide a team, regardless of who the coach is. We all know Coach Binkley isn't the next Pat Summitt, but he has shown improvement and hopefully continues to improve as long as he is the coach. As for Coach Amy, I think she did a wonderful job and the girls seemed to like her. I hope she stays around and helps out or takes on a bigger part is she desires.

As for the girls on the team. You must do your part in the off season. You can't wait to November and pick up a ball and expect to "run with the big dogs." It is a full time committment if you want to make it to the top. Same for the coaches. Watch tape from the past season and come up with new plays and schemes.

As for an earlier comment on losing Coach Bibb. You would have to be really foolish to think he was here for the long term. He only came here waiting on something better to open up. Any Coach who had the chance to go to PC would jump on it. I think he was sore at White County for passing him up on their head coaching job when they hired Slatten. White County was the big loser, we was just lucky to get him for one year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the posters mentioned losing to Sequatchie the way Van Buren did (76-16, 42-6 at halftime, 35 turnovers) was evidence the coach needs to be gone. Not trying to take up for Van Buren, as I've pointed out before things I didn't like on the court during their games, but there were nights like that one where Sequatchie could have played with most any team in the state (Not all before anyone starts naming teams that would beat them). One game they forced 22 turnovers in the first quarter, another they scored 94 against a region semifinalist, ended the season losing by 6 at Upperman when most on here were saying they'd by at least 20 or 30. Not trying to brag about Sequatchie necessarily, just pointing out it was one of those type of nights. They'll be working on developing the consistency to play like that every game, but the topic is Van Buren. I know Van Buren has a very good group coming into 9th grade, and if the high school coach had anything to do with their development then he probably knows what he is doing. Sequatchie's current group of rising 11th graders (8 on the roster) lost three games total in 7th and 8th (38-3), one of those was against Van Buren's current group of rising 12th graders plus any that were in seventh grade that year. The games I've seen the last few years, they play hard and shoot well, you can build on those two things and I"m sure they'll continue to be a tough opponent for most anyone on their schedule.

QUOTE(VB-booster @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:24 PM) 826419940[/snapback]First off, I would like to say congrats to the girls for their success this year. After losing a starter to injury, we all had doubts about the rest of the season. Hopefully next year will be injury free and we can build on what we accomplished this year. But what we don't need is the negativity some people are bringing to this board. I'm sure the players are reading this or hearing about it. This is the way to divide a team, regardless of who the coach is. We all know Coach Binkley isn't the next Pat Summitt, but he has shown improvement and hopefully continues to improve as long as he is the coach. As for Coach Amy, I think she did a wonderful job and the girls seemed to like her. I hope she stays around and helps out or takes on a bigger part is she desires.

As for the girls on the team. You must do your part in the off season. You can't wait to November and pick up a ball and expect to "run with the big dogs." It is a full time committment if you want to make it to the top. Same for the coaches. Watch tape from the past season and come up with new plays and schemes.

As for an earlier comment on losing Coach Bibb. You would have to be really foolish to think he was here for the long term. He only came here waiting on something better to open up. Any Coach who had the chance to go to PC would jump on it. I think he was sore at White County for passing him up on their head coaching job when they hired Slatten. White County was the big loser, we was just lucky to get him for one year.

Thanks for repeating what I said on March 7th about what the girls need to do in the off season. I'm glad to see many new members posting concerns about Van Buren girls basketball. Taking an interest is a big part of building a program.

I agree 100% w/Wooden. Girls need to work no matter what this summer if they are going to be "ALL THEY CAN BE". The potential is there but the work ethic is lacking.

Once again hate to spread rumors but I think this one is pretty reliable......I heard last night Coach Russell interviewed for a PAID assistant coach position at White County. Not sure what level (not varsity from what I understand).....but she will take it because it is a paid position.

Anyone else heard?

QUOTE(VBallsportsfan @ Mar 28 2007 - 01:36 PM) 826424938[/snapback]I agree 100% w/Wooden. Girls need to work no matter what this summer if they are going to be "ALL THEY CAN BE". The potential is there but the work ethic is lacking.

Once again hate to spread rumors but I think this one is pretty reliable......I heard last night Coach Russell interviewed for a PAID assistant coach position at White County. Not sure what level (not varsity from what I understand).....but she will take it because it is a paid position.

Anyone else heard?

Rumor that I know is ..... FACT: Coach Binkley & Coach Russell are going to be back next year!! FACT: The Eaglettes are working hard and GREAT things are going to be happening NEXT YEAR!! GO GIRLS GO...