Div. II State Tournament Preview

mfalc04

QUOTE(PBG030 @ Feb 27 2007 - 05:30 PM) 826392127[/snapback]I'm pullin' for McCallie cause my boy Seth Wadley. I know he doesn't play Varsity but that's his school and we used to go to school together. I hope they do well through the tournament. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

When did Seth transfer?

You folks are overlooking McCallie. Looks as though the upper bracket is stronger. I look for McCallie to make it to the finals against BA.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bcsaints10 @ Feb 26 2007 - 12:26 AM) 826389560[/snapback]St. George's vs. Brentwood should be an amazing game. Laurence Bowers had a pretty good regional tournament. Elliot Williams had 36 against CBHS. They finished 3rd in the tournament, beating #1 seed ECS in the consolation game.

Briarcrest could be a big sleeper in the tournament. They have 5 legitimate D-1 players on the team. Sophomore Leslie McDonald (6'4" 190) is the #11 player in the nation. He is as good as advertised, but he is a much better all-around player than people give him credit for. He can shoot from the outside. He is almost unstoppable in the lane. He wows you with athletic plays and monster jams. He should go to an elite college. Sophomore PG Gregg Wooten (6'2" 205) is inconsistent, but if he can get into the lane and finish, he is a solid player. He should go to a high-profile school. He is very physical and a great defender. Junior guard Elgin Lee (6'3" 170) is unstoppable offensively. He is more of a street-type player than anyone on the team. He always shoots running jumpers and has a nice array of fancy passing. His athleticism is very underrated. His play this season has been overlooked because of McDonald's success, but very quietly, he averages about 16/17 a game. He can light up the scoreboard, and he is probably the most-willing to shoot the ball in pressure situations. Junior Jake McCrary (6'1" 190) probably won't play college ball, but he could at a smaller school. He is the best defender on the team and is probably the most physical player on the team. He can get into the lane and hit from the outside. Sophomore center Johnny Williams (6'6" 230), a transfer who has played in only 3 games, has shown flashes of how good he can be. He had 11 points, 7 boards, and 3 blocks against Laurence Bowers in the semi-finals against St. George's.

Briarcrest probably won't be expected to win the whole thing this year. I don't know much about Baylor so I'm not sure what kind of game that will be. I see their record is 13-13, but they must be better than that since they are in state. ECS finished 12-14 and they were the #1 seed before the tournament.

Here are my predictions..

Briarcrest def. Baylor

Brentwood def. St. George's

MUS def. PJP2

Ensworth def. McCallie

Brentwood def. Briarcrest

Ensworth def. MUS

Brentwood def. Ensworth

Where does Briarcrest get all these studs?

QUOTE(FromOuttaState @ Feb 28 2007 - 08:45 PM) 826393975[/snapback]BA lost 67 to 62 to St. George tonight in the first round

Wow! 40 points for Elliott Williams tonight...and he was only 12 of 20 from the line. The kid's an incredible talent.

Interestings stats: Brentwood outboarded St. George's 37-25 but St. G turned it over only 6 times (obviously a good night for PG Stephen Leake) while St. G forced 19 Brentwood turnovers.

Stats:

http://tssaa.org/2006Champions/StateBBaske...ionII/Game2.htm

QUOTE(Driven @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:31 PM) 826394091[/snapback]The Williams kid from St. George's is the real deal. Needeless to say, Bruce Pearl (in attendance) was thrilled.

The St. George's folks I've talked to have gotten a big kick out of the college coaches at their games this year...and the kids have eaten it up. Evidently Calipari and the UVa coach have been there a good bit...and Pearl as well...not typical for the small school DII schools, of course...bit of a fairy tale ride for them right now.

Now some more news. According to one of my sources, Jerry Peters, head coach for MUS, will not be on the bench for the first game of the tournament tomorrow. He is back in Memphis with some health related issues. Assistant Coach Matt Bakke will run the show for the Owls.

QUOTE(Trojan Fan @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:38 PM) 826394116[/snapback]The St. George's folks I've talked to have gotten a big kick out of the college coaches at their games this year...and the kids have eaten it up. Evidently Calipari and the UVa coach have been there a good bit...and Pearl as well...not typical for the small school DII schools, of course...bit of a fairy tale ride for them right now.

Are they looking at anyone other than Williams? What year is he?

QUOTE(Icy @ Mar 1 2007 - 08:38 AM) 826394632[/snapback]He is a Junior. He is ranked 63rd in the nation by rival.com.

6-6 forward Laurence Bowers is also in Rivals top 100 junior list as well....was even rated above Williams at one point (may be still) but Williams is clearly the man for St. George's and has to be considered a much better D-1 product at this point....and considering who's recruiting him, they all think so, too. Bowers does some nice things but my completely non-expert opinion is that he may not be high D-1....doesn't seem to have a true position. Good rebounder and shot blocker and quick defender in the post but if he doesn't grow any more he doesn't have the height or game to play center high D-1...and not sure if he's quite got the bulk for PF or quickness and ball-handling for SF.

Good player, though...don't want to put him down when he's better than a LOT of players out there. Let him grow another couple of inches and watch out, though. As I said before, he's just a junior in high school.

QUOTE(FromOuttaState @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:45 PM) 826393975[/snapback]BA lost 67 to 62 to St. George tonight in the first round

WOAH! The 4 time defending State Champions Brentwood Ad. lost???? Somebody better call up Brandon Wright at UNC, im sure he will be sad to hear his lil brother Brain couldnt carry on the "Wright" name as a super star!!