50% rule

jackass

i would support this - i think we have created a monster as some of you say

we are really discouraging multi sport athetes by allowing year round play with their school mates

i think kids should play as many sports as they can- but when you promote the independent play then they feel obligated to play one sport - just my opinion

there are some counties/schools who are not close to the AAU type programs - what about them, they are important, too

if the powers that be did not feel they have the students best interest at heart then why don't we all just play that one sport all year long --- we don't because our kids go to school to learn --- first and foremost ---- b-ball is suppose to be "secondary" ----

kids are suppose to take breaks --- i see where you all believe and know your child will possibly get better by playing all year long and with certain summer leagues -- but is it worth the burn out?

i think it will be a bit hard to enforce --- deciding which one will be ineligible --- i do not think there will be a class action suit, would not win any money ----- only a decision of yes or no --- so i really don't see many lawyers lining up for this one

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule as I see it is to stop kids from going to schools outside their school district. Town "A" has an AAU team and a couple of kids from town "B" and town "C" play on it. When school opens up in August, all of a sudden those 4 kids show up to enroll at town "A's" school. The 50% rule will help stop this "legal" recruiting. Bottom line, in my opinion, kids need to go to school where they are SUPPOSED to go to school, whether the "Ball Team" is championship caliber or not.

QUOTE(JustBeingNosy @ Mar 3 2007 - 06:49 PM) 826398546[/snapback]The rule as I see it is to stop kids from going to schools outside their school district. Town "A" has an AAU team and a couple of kids from town "B" and town "C" play on it. When school opens up in August, all of a sudden those 4 kids show up to enroll at town "A's" school. The 50% rule will help stop this "legal" recruiting. Bottom line, in my opinion, kids need to go to school where they are SUPPOSED to go to school, whether the "Ball Team" is championship caliber or not.

i agree with you on this one -- it does highly promote this legal recruiting -- i too think kids should stay at the school they are suppose to go to -- course i understand it is a free world and families can move - and they do, more than iever imagined

i posted a thread weeks back to get input on how many girls go to schools where they do not live (or did not live) ---

i did not want names or schools --- just comments ---- BUT MY THREAD WAS QUICKLY ERASED

i think it should be discussed -- again, no names -- but they know who they are --- i know several schools right now who are in the region and several of the players moved just to play ball ----

the 50 percent rule would highly cut down on the recruiting -- win the old fashioned way - with kids that live in your town just my opinion

QUOTE(hoops fan2 @ Mar 3 2007 - 08:31 PM) 826398606[/snapback]i agree with you on this one -- it does highly promote this legal recruiting -- i too think kids should stay at the school they are suppose to go to -- course i understand it is a free world and families can move - and they do, more than iever imagined

i posted a thread weeks back to get input on how many girls go to schools where they do not live (or did not live) ---

i did not want names or schools --- just comments ---- BUT MY THREAD WAS QUICKLY ERASED

i think it should be discussed -- again, on names -- but they know who they are --- i know several schools right now who are in the region and several of the players moved just to play ball ----

the 50 percent rule would highly cut down on the recruiting -- win the old fashioned way - with kids that live in your town just my opinion

I Agree 100 %

QUOTE(therock @ Mar 3 2007 - 09:30 PM) 826398694[/snapback]No way this will pass. If this were to pass then the TSSAA would cutting out high school coaches best recruiting tool. High school coaches would then have to learn to coach kids that are not all americans.

It should be noted that the TSSAA should not let their dictatorship run into organizations that they cannot control. Just because they are able to make everyone in the High Schools jump through hoops does not mean that they can control the summer programs. I am sure that if this stupid rule passed, it would be ruled as unconstitutional by the Courts. ( not the court of the TSSAA but real court) Summer coaches are not allowed by rule to be affiliated with any high school programs. Therefore, it is just another attempt to curtail the programs where kids are committed and willing to work verses the programs where the coaches are just lazy working for a stipend and want the playing field to be level...meaning everyone is terrible. Kids are under control of their parents, and if a child wants to play basketball with friends then so be it, Will the TSSAA next regulate what certain teams can eat in the off season...?

The private schools will vote against it, the county schools will vote against it, but the lazy, stipend stealing big city coaches will vote for it, that way they might have a chance to win, without any extra work required by the coach or the team.

When all of the private schools jump to D-2, then the rural teams will win all of the State Tournaments, when the TSSAA cuts the rural schools out of the mix, then maybe the Big City Schools will be able to win a championship.

In responce to your dumb comment...Great teams do not have to recruit...parents who want the best for their kids move into an area so that their child can get the best opportunity to be seen and possibly get a college scholorship...great teams attract great players and you will also find that those coaches with great tallent are in most cases excellent teachers of the game. For Instance David Lipscomb which is a private school with a great basketball history, recruited all of their players in the First Grade...so maybe the TSSAA should regulate first grade teachers so it makes it easier for MLK to win 11 years later.

Everyone knows this is high schools best way of recruiting and anyone who says different is a dumbbut. Kids want to win and they will team up from 2 or 3 schools, play AAU and some coach will talk theminto going to the same school. This cheats the coach who works his butt off with the hand he is dealt. If we are not going to regulate AAU we need to legalize recruiting.

The 50% rule only applies to teams that play during the school year. For example, an AAU team could only have 3 kids from one team if it played from August to May. Summer months don't count in the 50% rule. It would really only affect fall ball and spring ball as far as high school kids are concerned.

In responce to your dumb comment...Great teams do not have to recruit...parents who want the best for their kids move into an area so that their child can get the best opportunity to be seen and possibly get a college scholorship...great teams attract great players and you will also find that those coaches with great tallent are in most cases excellent teachers of the game. For Instance David Lipscomb which is a private school with a great basketball history, recruited all of their players in the First Grade...so maybe the TSSAA should regulate first grade teachers so it makes it easier for MLK to win 11 years later.

Thanks for all the answers. I think parents should have a say in where and who their kid plays for. I have 3 choices in my county-1.great person/coach 2. real old school coach 3. a jackass.

Who would want their kid to play for a jackass just because that is the nearest school?

Anyway thanks again and by the way I think about 14-15 other states have this rule.

Sounds like a good rule to me. It only effects independent teams during the school year and has no restriction on summer teams. I don't see this as much of an anti-recruiting rule, but more as a rule to curb abuses of organized practice restriction rules. Fall leagues for basketball and baseball are nothing more than a way around preseason practice restrictions. This rule doesn't shut down fall leagues it just keeps them from being abused by coaches looking for ways to get around the rules. Basically it has become an unwritten rule in some schools that if you don't play in the fall leagues that you aren't going to play. By splitting up the players this will give coaches less incentive to mandate play in such leagues because he or she will not be able to run the fall league team as a shadow program in the off-season. Kids that want to play and get better will play and some other kids might participate in other sports if they don't feel like they are going to be missing out on a team function in their primary sport and put them behind. The players who choose to play in off-season leagues will probably enjoy the opportunity to play with some different kids without their regular coach hovering over them and the chance to go against some of their teammates in a game setting. In other words the kids that play will be playing for the love of the game not because they have to.