A Mr. Basketball updates

IOWNYOU149

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(carolinapride @ Mar 17 2007 - 10:50 PM) 826415754[/snapback]He's better?

Agree! Look what MJ did as a sophomore especially in the State Tournament last year. That is where he began to get the recognition. He simply got better and had an opportunity to show his stuff this year. He was still the goto guy on a very balanced team. This is dejavu I do believe (Stanley Caldwell in the early 90's and his Mr. Basketball awards along with the possibility of a State Championship next year for MJ)?!

QUOTE(carolinapride @ Mar 17 2007 - 08:50 PM) 826415754[/snapback]He's better?

How do you prove that...skogen averaged more points more rebounds...had a higher shooting percentage...and if UC was averaging over 90 points a game and he was only contributing an average of 16 then he wasn't even responsible for that much of the teams total production--TEmple was probly around 60 points a game with skogen at 21....so next time make an argument don't state stupid things that aren't true...

QUOTE(bhhvols @ Mar 17 2007 - 09:25 PM) 826415824[/snapback]Agree! Look what MJ did as a sophomore especially in the State Tournament last year. That is where he began to get the recognition. He simply got better and had an opportunity to show his stuff this year. He was still the goto guy on a very balanced team. This is dejavu I do believe (Stanley Caldwell in the early 90's and his Mr. Basketball awards along with the possibility of a State Championship next year for MJ)?!

You wanna compare brown and skogen as sophomores??? alright lets do that skogen averaged 18.5 points a game and over 6 rebs he averaged25 points a game in the district tourney and 29 pts a game in the region tournament- was given district and region mvp- and helped get Temple to a #1 state ranking and only 1 loss in 35 games....

what did brown do? (don't include helping win a state championship behind weddles 26 a gm...I know that...)

QUOTE(oldtimeballer63 @ Mar 17 2007 - 10:44 PM) 826415941[/snapback]I was not whining, I was just giving my opinion about the Mr. Basketball Award.

And why would I be jealous of whatever "Weat" Tennessee is? We just brought home a Gold Ball.

that is funny stuff oldtimer

QUOTE(IOWNYOU149 @ Mar 17 2007 - 11:42 PM) 826415938[/snapback]How do you prove that...skogen averaged more points more rebounds...had a higher shooting percentage...and if UC was averaging over 90 points a game and he was only contributing an average of 16 then he wasn't even responsible for that much of the teams total production--TEmple was probly around 60 points a game with skogen at 21....so next time make an argument don't state stupid things that aren't true...

Here's why:

First off, there is no "if" to it. They were averaging over 90pts per game (around 92 to be exact).

Second his numbers could have been much worse...

From the regular season they looked like this:

He averaged 16ppg, 7apg, 6rpg and 4spg..He did all this in averaging just 23 minutes per game because of the big leads that UC put on opponents.....

He shot 52% from inside the arc...36% on his threes and 74% free throws.....

Most importantly:

He SAT out the entire fourth quarter 14 times this season and did not even play the entire second half in five games (big leads)

Now again, voters must of looked at

1. UC's record

2. Margin of victory

3. Schedule of being invited to and playing in nationally recogonized tournaments

4. MJ leading an offense that averaged over 90 pts per game

5. Dominating performances over larger AA and AAA schools.

With all these stats thru the whole season, show me a candidate with a better resume? Skogen is an outstanding player and I could see where this could go either way. My vote however would have been for MJ due to all of the season-wide variables listed above.

QUOTE(crazzyness @ Mar 18 2007 - 03:54 AM) 826416047[/snapback]I guess thats why he's been sitting at the house for almost three weeks, and Skogen is snuggled up tight with a GOLD BALL in bed right now, right???

Good point...but he's not snuggled up to the Mr. Basketball award now is he? lol. I'll have to say that I was surprised to hear that M.J. Brown won. I have no doubts that he's a great player and very deserving. I just figured the winner would be someone who led his team to the state tournament...i.e. Williams or Skogen. And as a Cully fan, I was pulling for Williams. Oh well, maybe next year. Anyway, congrats to M.J. Brown on winning Mr. Basketball and to Temple on winning the state tournament.

QUOTE(matt_24 @ Mar 18 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826416101[/snapback]Good point...but he's not snuggled up to the Mr. Basketball award now is he? lol. I'll have to say that I was surprised to hear that M.J. Brown won. I have no doubts that he's a great player and very deserving. I just figured the winner would be someone who led his team to the state tournament...i.e. Williams or Skogen. And as a Cully fan, I was pulling for Williams. Oh well, maybe next year. Anyway, congrats to M.J. Brown on winning Mr. Basketball and to Temple on winning the state tournament.

You can sign my name to your post, matt_24. I totally agree with you.

QUOTE(3153 @ Mar 18 2007 - 01:46 AM) 826416021[/snapback]Here's why:

First off, there is no "if" to it. They were averaging over 90pts per game (around 92 to be exact).

Second his numbers could have been much worse...

From the regular season they looked like this:

He averaged 16ppg, 7apg, 6rpg and 4spg..He did all this in averaging just 23 minutes per game because of the big leads that UC put on opponents.....

He shot 52% from inside the arc...36% on his threes and 74% free throws.....

Most importantly:

He SAT out the entire fourth quarter 14 times this season and did not even play the entire second half in five games (big leads)

Now again, voters must of looked at

1. UC's record

2. Margin of victory

3. Schedule of being invited to and playing in nationally recogonized tournaments

4. MJ leading an offense that averaged over 90 pts per game

5. Dominating performances over larger AA and AAA schools.

With all these stats thru the whole season, show me a candidate with a better resume? Skogen is an outstanding player and I could see where this could go either way. My vote however would have been for MJ due to all of the season-wide variables listed above.

All thats nice, but lets not forget, he did that against teams from the UGLY SIDE of TENNESSEE, we play real basketball in the EAST.