Oakland vs. Powell

#1VolsFan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rise n Shine @ Mar 11 2007 - 06:33 PM) 826408378[/snapback]I seen powells lineup there short!!! Oakland has a height advantage!!! But they also played a team from east tn that stunk in the sectionals! oakland is overrated too!!!! they haven't played any real comp all year!!! they will run into a wall!!!

hahaha, what do you consider "real" competition??

QUOTE(Geewiz @ Mar 11 2007 - 08:01 PM) 826408473[/snapback]Can any Oakland HS fans out there tell me about Chaisson Allen's style of play? His strengths and weaknesses? I don't live in Tennessee and he's coming to Northeastern U. next fall.

Anyone?

He's long, athletic, can shoot and score the ball. He needs a little more muscle mass, but he is clearly a good Division I prospect. I don't know how well he will respond to physical play. We will probably find out against Powell.

QUOTE(PowellFan @ Mar 11 2007 - 09:44 PM) 826408509[/snapback]Powell will play some physical ball, looks like mr. allen is 6'4 It will be a great matchup for seymore (who is one of the best shot blockers to come out of powell in a while) or conner, I think this will be a great matchup for both teams should be a fun one.

Eh well unless Mr. Connor is about 6'4 and can jump out of the gym, he's not going to block many of Chaisson's shots. Sometimes he'll have teams thinking he's going on way and then pull a rabbit out of his hat, worst case being he draws a foul. Its almost impossible to matchup well against Chaisson because if you go with a traditional matchup, he can use that size by posting em up or if you try to matchup with somebody that is as tall as Chaisson, chances are he wont be as fast. Teams can try to gameplan to stop him, but Chaisson is going to get his 15-20 points, its just a matter of trying to stop everybody else that dictates whether or not a team can beat Oakland

QUOTE(Geewiz @ Mar 10 2007 - 11:32 PM) 826407703[/snapback]OaklandGrad,

I'm an alum from Northeastern University in Boston. My fellow alums, student body and I are VERY excited about Chaisson Allen coming north to play for us!

We all are pulling for the Pats to win the state title. All it does is enhance Chase's stock and gives him a ton of great pubicity.

I've been looking to get any photos or video footage of Chase to share with our official fan website called diehardogs.com.

Can you tell me about his style of play? His strengths and weaknesses (if he has any). Our coaching staff can't say enough great things about him. They feel he'll be one of the centerpieces for the resurgence of our program.

To tell you a little bit about Northeastern. We just completed our 2nd season in the CAA after leaving the America East conference (where we were a charter member). In 2005-06, our 1st year in the CAA, we finished in 5th place and had the Conference Player of the Year in Jose Juan Barea (who's with the Dallas Mavericks) and the Defensive Player of the Year in Shawn James (who led the nation in blocked shots).

After the season, Barea graduated, our head coach Ron Everhart left to take the job at Duquesne and James decided to transfer to Duquesne. Last September, 5 Duquesne players were involved in an on-campus shooting. James was one of the players who was shot.

Unfortunately, Everhart didn't leave us with much and for our new Head Coach Bill Coen, who was Al Skinner's assistant coach at Boston College. Coen went to work and brought in two transfers (6-8 and 6-9) who'll be eligible next year, a Juco from Dallas named Eugene Spates and two freshman who mad an impact in 6-8, 240 F Manny Adako and a 6-4 SG from Minnesota Matt Janning.

Those players along with our seniors F Bennet Davis, SG Bobby Kelly and SG Adrian Martinez helped NU to a surprising 5th place finish in the CAA this season. After beating Delaware in the first round, we lost to Drexel in the quarterfinals.

Matt Janning averaged 12 pts ppg, led all rookies in rebounding and won CAA Rookie of the Year. Chase and Matt will be our backcourt next season along with the aforementioned Manny Adako, 6-8 swingman Eugene Spates and one of the transfers 6-8 Chris Alvarez from Dayton U.

We think the backcourt tandem of Allen and Janning will be one of the best and exciting ones in the CAA!

Any info on Chase that you or anyone else who are fans of Oakland H.S. can provide would be great. Hope I didn't kill you too much with this post! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Here is the video presentation of Matt Janning winning the CAA ROY.

http://www.caasports.com/mediaPlayer/video...T_TYPE=ONDEMAND

You guys have reason to be excited about Chaisson coming to Northeastern, I think he will fit in well to what Coach Coen wants to do, but for that matter, Chaisson would fit well in almost any system I believe. I think Chaisson's height helps him out a little bit defensively, not to say that he is a bad defender, but being 6'5 gives him a little bit more of an advantage. His strength is being able to push the ball up the floor and finish at the rim, he's a decent shooter from behind the arc, but he is almost a lock from about 18 in. Chaisson's team returned most of its players, but the impressive thing is game after game teams gameplan against Chaisson, but yet Chase can still average 20 ppg.

But most of all, your getting a great person and student athlete, he is just one of those kids that everybody loves, except for the ones that are jealous of his talent. Ill have a vested interest in Northeastern for the next 4 years as it looks like they have a solid core/ formula for success for the next few years

QUOTE(OaklandGrad @ Mar 12 2007 - 09:34 AM) 826408714[/snapback]Eh well unless Mr. Connor is about 6'4 and can jump out of the gym, he's not going to block many of Chaisson's shots.

Actually, that description fits Chris Conner pretty well. He is a very athletic basketball player. One doesn't average over 24 points per game and pull down 7 rebounds by being a stiff.

Of course, in reading this forum, Powell's team may decide not to even come and play the game. It's pretty obvious that Oakland is writing this game off and looking on past the quarters to the semifinals. Powell need not even show up since they have no chance.

In fact, Oakland need not even game plan for Powell. Just go ahead and get ready for the Ridgeway/Clarksville winner. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

QUOTE(PowellFan @ Mar 11 2007 - 09:44 PM) 826408509[/snapback]Powell will play some physical ball, looks like mr. allen is 6'4 It will be a great matchup for seymore (who is one of the best shot blockers to come out of powell in a while) or conner, I think this will be a great matchup for both teams should be a fun one.

put it this way, if u have a guy like keith Ramsey(siegel) from last yr an he only blocked chase once then i dont expect this guy to get him. Keith is about 6'8-6'9 and VERY athletic.

QUOTE(TeRrAnCe_JaY21 @ Mar 12 2007 - 11:01 AM) 826408995[/snapback]put it this way, if u have a guy like keith Ramsey(siegel) from last yr an he only blocked chase once then i dont expect this guy to get him. Keith is about 6'8-6'9 and VERY athletic.

My goodness Chaisson is a good playerbut some of you people on here act like he is the next Kevin Durant or something. I think if you have a good athlete who is quicker than him you could possibly give him some trouble

QUOTE(HTV @ Mar 12 2007 - 09:15 AM) 826408759[/snapback]Actually, that description fits Chris Conner pretty well. He is a very athletic basketball player. One doesn't average over 24 points per game and pull down 7 rebounds by being a stiff.

Of course, in reading this forum, Powell's team may decide not to even come and play the game. It's pretty obvious that Oakland is writing this game off and looking on past the quarters to the semifinals. Powell need not even show up since they have no chance.

In fact, Oakland need not even game plan for Powell. Just go ahead and get ready for the Ridgeway/Clarksville winner. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

SO there is a bunch of posters from oakland thinking Oakland will win, I dont think any of em have said this game will be a walk and if they did they are dead wrong. Like I said, you beat Oakland by controlling the other 4 around Chaisson because he is going to get his points