Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

More later on Cloudland, Unicoi County, Elizabethton and all the Tri-County Seven; plus the All Stars, as voted by the Tri-County Seven Secret Staff.

Meanwhile, just a Heartfelt Thanks to ALL the players, coaches, fans, and to those who Respectfully participated.

If you have suggestions for our All-Star team, either send me a coatht P M or email me at car6@earthlink.net.

Not Krich He is on vacation so i got on his computer again> Don't tell him he's gone to washington DC to get a loan from our President to get the New paper for Carter County started/

First the coach of the year, should be the coach from the team Cloudland beat in the first round of the Regional.. The score was about 80 to 12 and drew Media coverage from the no. 2 radio station in Elizabethton WBEJ. How this coach could survive all those losses and still be in the Regional is remarkable.. Since is just Carter County well lets see.

Weems -Elizabethton, Well he is yet to prove how good of a coach he is??? With the talent he has had since Wilson stepped aside, Ray Charles could have accomplished the same feat... So its hard for me to select Weems. Wilson took these girls to the State as Sophomores, didn't he???

Chambers -Unaka well what a great job with only one SENIOR who was injured and played just half of the season at half speed but did a great job. He started a Freshman and 2 Sophomores and reached the Sub-State losing to the team that is in the State Championship game, and he was leading in the third quarter.. He would be a good choice

Tolley -Hampton.. Amazing, even the superior leaders of Hampton had no faith in this girls team. When you're Hot You're Hot but as tournament came the Dogs cooled off to fast and knocked Tolley out of his MVP Coach award.. Great job Coach Tolley

Godsey -Happy Valley.. The Warriors were overlooked by many and won some great games but playing in the league with Unicoi, Elizabethton and South Greene it's hard to win a coaching award. Doug Phillips ruled the league for a few years but he had a talented team that went to three state tournaments in four years... What a team,

Birchfield -Cloudland like Chambers he played several younger players, one who was league, District, and Regional MVP. He took the extra steps to scout like good coaches do.. He did not send his coaching staff, mothers or friends he made the trips hisself.. He took the extra steps and he played in the BIG SHOW while all others were listening to Tim and C.Y on their computers. My votes goes to the Matt Birchfield and he made it to the Boro without Cloudlands No.1 fan Cobb Marlow, Gone but NEVER forgotten.

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Mar 9 2007 - 08:14 PM) 826406649[/snapback]Wilson took these girls to the State as Sophomores, didn't he???

I'm sure by now you all know that I'm a Cyclone fan. I don't read a lot into Doug Fritz' post because he is very biased, for obvious reasons but any of these coaches mentioned above could certainly be in the running for coach of the year. Wilson did take the sophomores to the State Tournament but I think Pietrowski was the only one of them that saw any considerable playing time. It's my opinion if Weems would have coached that year, they would have had a better shot at winning the State. All of these coaches poured their heart and soul into this season but as far as accomplishments, I would have to say Coach Tolley overachieved. I hope KRich gets that loan from the President for that new Carter County newspaper. It would be nice to read something besides the "Milligan Star", about ETSU sports.

Don't just be proud, be thankful!

Coach Birchfield took Cloudland to the state. He gets my coach of the year vote. Weems, Tolley, and Chambers also had very good seasons. Michaela Pietrowski is my player of the year. She was a little inconsistent, but dominated more games than any other player. Mainer at Unicoi and Johnson at Cloudland would be my runners up.

I don't know about Ray Charles doing the same feat as Weems with Elizabethton. A couple of these girls went to the state their sophmore seasons but I think R. Baughman, V. Redd and C. Crapps were their leading scorers (all playing college basketball) so it's definitely not the same team...not even close! Also Eliz. lost their leading scorer 2 weeks before the District Tourn. and still came back to win the Regional Tourn. Eliz was also undefeated against the Big 9 and 13-1 in their conference... I'm sure Ray Charles would have been proud of that. Weems also had a lot of adversity dealing with his pre-mature son born during the season and I think you could find him scouting nearly every night he didn't have a game. I think Weems(30-7), Crumbley (Greeneville-also lost to Stone Memorial) and Birchfield (getting to the state)did a tremendous job and could all be candidates for COTY in east tenn..

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Mar 8 2007 - 10:11 AM) 826404551[/snapback]More later on Cloudland, Unicoi County, Elizabethton and all the Tri-County Seven; plus the All Stars, as voted by the Tri-County Seven Secret Staff.

Meanwhile, just a Heartfelt Thanks to ALL the players, coaches, fans, and to those who Respectfully participated.

If you have suggestions for our All-Star team, either send me a coatht P M or email me at car6@earthlink.net.

Just got back from our first trip this month to the 'Boro, and I must say, it was certainly 'an experience.' I think the Lady Lander underclassmen have gotten a good idea of what it takes to win at the State level, and they are willing to do what it takes. The game with Jackson Co was great experience for them and should help them next year to get further. At any rate, I just wanted to say thank you to all the 'secret experts' out there for your support and analysis of Carter County basketball this year. We want to see Carter County represented again next year! By the way, just an observation, but the ladies of Carter County are certainly fundamentally sound in comparison to other teams in the state! Thanks to all our Carter County coaches for giving our ladies a solid foundation! You guys do a great job!!

QUOTE(bouncepass @ Mar 9 2007 - 06:29 PM) 826406569[/snapback]Since I along with everyone else has already seen Dough Fritz's picks for player of the year, coach of the year & top players, I thought it would be a good time to see what criteria will be used in selecting them on coacht, as I certainly did not agree with some of Mr. Fritz's selections.

Player of the Year-Do you go with the best player on the team that wins the most games? Do you go with the best player on the team that goes the farthest in the Tournaments? Do you go with the player that if they were not to play, their team would have little or no chance against a good, quality opponent. And, does classification matter? Is this like the Heisman where a freshman or sophomore has no chance?

Coach of the Year-Do you go with the coach of the team that wins the most games? Weems did a solid job but weren't they supposed to win it all anyway and make it to the state tournament? Do you go with the coach of the team that goes the farthest in the tournaments? Birchfield did a solid job also, but weren't they supposed to make it that far anyway? Do you go with the coach of the team that improves over the course of the season and makes a tournament run? Coach Chambers did a solid job as well, but weren't the Lady Rangers supposed to challenge Cloudland for the top spot all along. Yes they were young but atleast he had the summer to practice and get them ready. Do you go with the coach of the team that far exceeded expectations and did the most with what they had? Coach Tolley at Hampton did the unbelievable, taking a team that was picked to finish last, to only win 2-3 games the whole season, with no player over 5'6, came in cold not having worked with them during the summer, actually got to practice 6 or 7 times before their first two games of the season against Tennessee High & Elizabethton, and won 16 games with this team AND finished 2nd in the conference. Tough decisions all. I can't wait to see what the '"experts" think.

Bouncepass, Just a couple things before posting the All-Stars. The Tri-County Seven was intentionally created for dialogue. There are no "experts" here; no professionals; only guys and gals who love bringing positive attention to our area, to our players. Unlike the "I"s, "Me"s and "Yours Truly" references we're seeing more and more in our local paper, this is all about others. And most of us post under one alias. But ultimately, it's about discussion, about respectful dialogue. No "experts" here.

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Mar 11 2007 - 05:48 PM) 826408255[/snapback]Bouncepass, Just a couple things before posting the All-Stars. The Tri-County Seven was intentionally created for dialogue. There are no "experts" here; no professionals; only guys and gals who love bringing positive attention to our area, to our players. Unlike the "I"s, "Me"s and "Yours Truly" references we're seeing more and more in our local paper, this is all about others. And most of us post under one alias. But ultimately, it's about discussion, about respectful dialogue. No "experts" here.

When are you going to post the "All-Stars"? I will wait until I see the list before discussing it.