Elizabethton Lady Cyclones

coachh17

The pitching is good, the offense looks solid, the defense is better than average, there is senior leadership, and pretty good team speed. How have they looked in the preseason? Is there enough power? Tell me about the catching situation. Is this the year the Cyclones break through against Unicoi Co? Go Cyclones!!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(coachh17 @ Mar 12 2007 - 10:53 AM) 826408981[/snapback]The pitching is good, the offense looks solid, the defense is better than average, there is senior leadership, and pretty good team speed. How have they looked in the preseason? Is there enough power? Tell me about the catching situation. Is this the year the Cyclones break through against Unicoi Co? Go Cyclones!!!!

We'll do our best to keep you posted.

However, the answer to your primary question is probably not very encouraging. Yes, Elizabethton is going to be good, however, Unicoi County graduated one player. Now, she, All-State Shortstop, Emily Bennett is a very good one, but the Lady Blue Devils return well, everybody else. Lynz Canady, a probable All State first baseman, Leah Love, Katherine Harris (whatever your politics, you just gotta love that name), All Stater, Jessica Mason . . . .and others.

Just remembered another one: Milligan College signee, Alicia Engle. Terrific Center Fielder, near-four-point-0 student. I'm trying to remember the others, but I'm sure you get my drift. This is possibly one of the best-ever Unicoi County teams. That's saying a lot.

I already can't wait to see these two teams go head to head this year. I've not seen Eliz. play yet & Unicoi looked strong as ever at the Unaka jamboree. Should be another great year for this rivalry. One thing I'm curious to know about Elizabethton. Do they have any slappers to bat from the left side? I know they have good team speed but if Coach Hardin could turn around a couple of his speedsters & have them batting from the left handers batters box it might help him with getting more runners on base to generate runs.

Coachh17,

Just thought I'd give you a little info on the Lady Cyclones season opener against South Greene. Summer Smith pitched an outstanding game holding South Greene scoreless. Our offense really didn't get going until about the 4th or 5th inning. A lot of contact, just couldn't get anything to fall. The bats finally came around in the 5th and Smith helped herself out with a big hit with bases loaded to score 3. The power seems to be down a little from last year with the loss of Hubbard but the team speed on defense really looked good. Bellesa came in the 6th to close the game out for a final of Cyclones 5, South Greene 0. Could prove to be an interesting year for these ladies. Did show room for improvement especially in the bunting department but overall a real impressive win for the Cyclones. As for your questions about the preseason, we beat most teams by double figures including Unaka, Crockett and a very strong Abingdon team. The only losses came from Dobyns-Bennett and they were both close games decided by one run. More info later.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Don't just be proud, be thankful!

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Mar 12 2007 - 03:58 PM) 826409238[/snapback]We'll do our best to keep you posted.

However, the answer to your primary question is probably not very encouraging. Yes, Elizabethton is going to be good, however, Unicoi County graduated one player. Now, she, All-State Shortstop, Emily Bennett is a very good one, but the Lady Blue Devils return well, everybody else. Lynz Canady, a probable All State first baseman, Leah Love, Katherine Harris (whatever your politics, you just gotta love that name), All Stater, Jessica Mason . . . .and others.

Just remembered another one: Milligan College signee, Alicia Engle. Terrific Center Fielder, near-four-point-0 student. I'm trying to remember the others, but I'm sure you get my drift. This is possibly one of the best-ever Unicoi County teams. That's saying a lot.

Must have miss it,don't remember three ALL STATERS at UNICOI CO,last year. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

A very strong Abingdon team? 16 to 0 is not what I call a challenge....... They are picked to place 3rd in their conference out of 4 teams. I watched your team at the Unaka Jamboree. I didnt see any WOW factor. They only thing that impressed me about your team was the 3rd basemen.

QUOTE(Hey Ref @ Mar 14 2007 - 08:17 AM) 826411213[/snapback]A very strong Abingdon team? 16 to 0 is not what I call a challenge....... They are picked to place 3rd in their conference out of 4 teams. I watched your team at the Unaka Jamboree. I didnt see any WOW factor. They only thing that impressed me about your team was the 3rd basemen.

Hey Ref,

We were told (misinformed) that Abingdon was supposed to have a good team this year. When we played them and it was determined that they didn't look very good, we really didn't know if we were playing their varsity or the coach was just trying different combinations because it was only a scrimmage. In my post, I didn't state that there was a "Wow" factor in Elizabethton. Only trying to relay to Coachh17 that we looked good in our season opener against South Greene, which by the way, does have a very good team and their pitcher looks really good too. If you watched games at the Unaka jamboree, what teams gave you that "Wow" factor? I didn't see any "Wow" factors at the Unaka Jamboree but I did see a lot of teams with some potential. You're right about the third baseman. In my opinion, she was the best 3rd baseman in the conference last year as a freshman. She's a dandy. Elizabethton should be very strong in their conference because we have a lot of good pitching this year. They should be fun to watch but of course, Unicoi will be the favorite.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Faithful,

I didnt really see any WOW factor this weekend. I was very disappointed in what I saw with Unicoi. I heard that East High beat them on Monday night. The Davey Crockett blonde pitcher has gotten better. Tennessee High isnt that good. Virginia High didnt impress me, but I was told that they has some 8th graders playing. I was impressed by the little pitcher that they had. She is a tiny little thing but she moved the ball around nice, had pretty good spped and was very accurate and had a pretty decent changup. I would have to say I was impressed with her the most out of all the pitchers I watched. I know the Sullivan North Coaches were impressed with her. Like I said before. Your 3rd basemen is a gamer. I guess I would have to say that out of all the girls I seen this weekend your 3rd basemen and the little pitcher from Va High were the best I seen.

QUOTE(RHS25 @ Mar 13 2007 - 08:59 PM) 826410929[/snapback]Must have miss it,don't remember three ALL STATERS at UNICOI CO,last year. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I don't think you missed anything. I'm often called to task for my ambiguous remarks. That must be the case here.

There were Two All-Staters at Unicoi County last season; one of them, Emily Bennett, signed with King College; the other, Jessica Mason, is back for her junior season. I suggested that Lynz Canady could very well be All-State this season. But, as you probably know, there are other very good players on that team.

QUOTE(EHSFAITHFUL @ Mar 13 2007 - 09:18 PM) 826410834[/snapback]Coachh17,

Just thought I'd give you a little info on the Lady Cyclones season opener against South Greene. Summer Smith pitched an outstanding game holding South Greene scoreless. Our offense really didn't get going until about the 4th or 5th inning. A lot of contact, just couldn't get anything to fall. The bats finally came around in the 5th and Smith helped herself out with a big hit with bases loaded to score 3. The power seems to be down a little from last year with the loss of Hubbard but the team speed on defense really looked good. Bellesa came in the 6th to close the game out for a final of Cyclones 5, South Greene 0. Could prove to be an interesting year for these ladies. Did show room for improvement especially in the bunting department but overall a real impressive win for the Cyclones. As for your questions about the preseason, we beat most teams by double figures including Unaka, Crockett and a very strong Abingdon team. The only losses came from Dobyns-Bennett and they were both close games decided by one run. More info later.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Thanks for the update. That sounds pretty good. Is Jasmine catching? Do they have a pitching rotation order? Or do they look for matchup advantages? I think they will do well.

Hey Coachh17,

Cyclones lost a heartbreaker tonight in 8 eight innings to Cherokee 5-3. Was a great game although I would have liked to have been on the winning side. Cherokee has a very solid team this year with 2 very good pitchers. And, yes, Jasmine is catching and is doing a good job. She will be used some in the outfield because its hard to keep all that speed behind the plate. As far as pitching goes, it's more of a matchup type rotation. It's nice to have the luxary of having 5 girls to choose from. This game should only help Elizabethton in the conference matchups. Let you know more as it happens.

GO CYCLONES!!