Dyersburg Trojans looking for new coach

mrbigster

You are wrong when you say that all DC fans support other teams when opposing D-burg. That % would be minimal. As far as the fans of DC being rude, crude and hard to take, you try having someone like Dburg always looking down at you because you go to a county school or thinking they are better people than you because they go to a city school. Yeah buddy....... you don't tend to make many friends that way. There is a huge difference in having a school rival and having someone constantly belittle you or snurl their noses up at you because of who you are or where

you go to school or live. The only thing important in all of this is that 1) The kids are being treated with respect from coaches and fans. 2) Rivals are rivals...... they are good for schools, but if you want them to refrain from being personal, QUIT thinking that a kid is a better kid because he goes to Dyersburg High School. Good kids come out of the county schools also. Treat them equal. 3) If the school system of Dburg would do things correctly instead of politically, you would not have students leaving because of a coach. Do the right thing. Listen to the kids. If you want to claim the glory for the success of the atheletes that left Dyersburg and went to DC then maybe you should have listened to them a long time ago. YOU might have a different attitude if it were YOUR kid!

There really does need to be some differences worked out between our city and county schools. We should be able (proud) to cheer for one another when opposing other schools.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Suppose the city schools and county schools had equal allowances ($$). What would the problem be then?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In past year you had Fifth Consolidated, Holice Powell, Finley and Bogota. These schools only go to 5th grade. All these kids now go to Three Oaks. And all of them except for a few go to Dyer County. In the past all the kids from Holice Powell and Finley would come to Dyersburg, Fifth Consolidated would be a 50/50 split on Dyersburg and DC. And most all the kids from Bogota went to Dyer County. So, Dyer County is getting a BIG portion of kids who used to AUTOMATICALLY go to Dyersburg. Plus there are countless kids from "affluent" familes who are making the drive to Newbern plus other kids who are going because it is easier. And it is hurting Dyersburg in the pocket bock. They are losing money. And to get it back they need to get their enrollment back up. Used to be Dyer County was where all the county kids went and the rich kids all went to Dyersburg No more. And it is a NATURAL rival. When I played for Bobby Newby in the Mid-70''s we were a AAA powerhouse while Dyer County was one of the tog dogs in A. Lots of year Dyer County would have a great record and Dyersburg would have a losing season and the kids talked smack back and forth all year long. As far back as I can remember they have always wanted to meet on the gridiron and them being in the same region I think is wonderful. Not only is it a key region game but also, who can talk smack for a year. I think it would be like Jackson Northside and Jackson Southside. I can't be ANYTHING but a rivarlry. I think it's good for both schools. And think next year home and home on the hardwood won't be a sellout? I for one like it!

Ok everybody has ample time to post their rumors, lies and BS about dyersburg and coach brown....

time for some rebuttal or facts:

#1. kids are not leaving dyersburg in droves to attend dc.......I for one had been preaching that they have been and when I looked at the enrollment for 2006-2007, I was shocked..... this is a perception that I and many others have had......here is the truth....dyersburg has about 972 students enrolled........ prior to the 2003 gentlemens agreement that keeps dyersburg from talking to 3 oaks middle school student, dyersburg had an enrollment of 1050 students..... the students dhs has lost in most part are the 3 oaks kids......

#2. when I moved here in the 80's, I heard a lot of people talking about DHS being political in sports.....and I think that was true from what I saw......but in the 90's, that all changed......the new coaches played who they thought was the best, regardless of race, money, church and politics..... end of argument.....

#3. regarding hart vs dye......i know exactly why coach counce did what he did....it had nothing to do with anything other than a starting senior qb returning and to take the place of the soph who had filled in......that is all........if he had played dye vs melrose for all 4 quarters would we have beat melrose? if a frog had wings it would not bump its a.r.s.e. every time it hops...

#4. dyersburg high school has an unquestionable reputation in academics........the number of and value of scholarships is higher than most schools in tennessee......

#5. for those who think coach brown cannot coach......his record speaks for itself....not many coaches in tennessee have over 400 wins..... now this does not make coach brown perfect......no......he had his downfalls.....and then there was the DREADED COACHES WORST NIGHTMARE......PLAYING YOUR OWN CHILDREN...........

#6. coach brown is my friend and is a good man off the court.......i will continue to stand by him...he made the right decision for his family and the program......

#7. Yes, in my opinion the administration at dyersburg high school has the perception of having their head buried in the sand.......but i do believe that based on the large number of recent phone calls to the central office (not about brown) a movement is starting and has caused some closed eyes to open.....this hopefully will change some attitudes....if it does, then brighter days are ahead.

#8. dhs and dc need to support each other when they are not playing each other.......same needs to be said about the administrations.......

#9. dhs is not the rome that is burning down like many think......remember academics is first and dhs has that part nailed down.....

#10. i spoke with the AD today and was pleasantly surprised at the number of applicants and the quality: even more surprised at the number of applicants who have won state championships in tennessee, missouri and illinois....

#11. congrats to dc on a stellar season.....what a turn around in one short year........better enjoy it while you can cause baseball is here and football is in the near future:)

#12. coach barbee is what he is cause i made him that way.......he learned everything about basketball from me and joe north and his little cracker buddy at bartlett...just kidding preston......i don't want you getting mad and kicking the door in on my hummer.....(remember the jennie bell league and your sisters car door?)

the biggedt problem i have with d'burg.........and i too went to school there and was a member of bobby newbys team........is that its a 'buddy' system and the ' buddies' defend it to the bitter end. i knew brian brown at dscc and he was arrogant then and he is arrogant now. he humiliates kids on the court for thier mistakes , but doesnt treat his own boys the same for thiers and thats why he created his problems.

Just a few corrections for those of you on this board.

#1) Coach Brown has 518 career wins, not many have these.

#2)The grumbling heard by parents in Dyersburg is the result of the "ME and MY BABY" generation. Coach Brown plays those that deserve to be played. His track record in this respect is highlight of this. The maclin boys were not ready to play when the 6-8 Chatham was there.

#3)Coach Brown is blind as to the "race" of a player. Anyone who has seen his teams over the years can plainly see that he plays all races equally. I mean majority of his teams have been all black, so we can lay the race card aside.

#4) The kids at DC who transferred thought they should play as sophomores when neither Hurst nor Taylor was ready. Blake was in and out of the starting line-up and was the first off the bench when not in the starting line-up. His quote for quiting via his mom was "I want my baby to be the STAR" so think about that. It was not the coaching style of Coach B.

#5)In response to the posts about Brown's kids where do you get that his youngest son played over others who deserved more? The youngest one logged only mop up time with the rest of the JV team, or maybe thirty seconds or a minute at most of time to relieve the pressure of foul trouble which hurt the Trojans bc of the short bench. And his time was all but finished besides the mop up time with the return of Glynn and Pierce. The middle son fulfilled his job as a point guard by leading the team in assists this past year and being 3rd his sophmore year. He also stepped up and scored when needed in that respect. His eldest son played very hard and was a floor leader on top of compiling team leading stats in many categories.

#6)As far as the next coach to go to DHS, I hope that he is a magician because he will have one hedoublehockey sticks of a time trying to fulfill the needs of every parent in the stands who thinks their "BABY" is the next LeBron James.

#7)And DC fans now you call for the support of DHS fans, I ask you where has your support for the Trojans been during the past years? You have to give it to get it!

Well what is Dyer County's Enrollment? If Dyersburg's is 976 (I think the school sometimes WON"T tell the real enrollment, it looks worse when their are more kids at the MIDDLE SCHOOL than the high school. Like I posted before, they lost a FEW basketball players but, the biggest majority of kids are from Three Oaks who used to be Finley, Holice Powell, Fifth Consolidated, where Dyersburg would get all the kids from Holice Powell and Finley and half the 8 grade class from Fifth Consolidated. I think maybe the administration took a long hard look at what EXODUS of kids would be leaving from DMS to go PLAY basketball. From talking to my ex-wife , I think Dyer County is getting pretty crowded, and say 25 kids go from DMS? Just roughly, in a four year period if that trend holds that's another 100 off the enrollment. As far as playing the "in crowd", yeah I saw it when I was there in the early to mid 70's and even the 80s. But I don't know who has money or comes from a "prominent family" to be playing sports. Like I said JT Beasley's dad is a chiropractor and he must be good: A full ride to the University of Missouri. And rated one of the top 25 players in the state, so that doesnt' hold water. And Hunter Hart was a Senior who got hurt, Josh Dye didn't lead us to 10-0, (and if you remember Melrose got cocky as heck and let up, it liked to have been a riot on the Melrose side, the fans were made at the guys calling the game, they accused them of not starting the clock when it was supposed to start) and if Couch Counce was so enamored with politics then why did he take Rashad Taylor, and unproven talent who was a wr when Justin Blake was the qb, and when Justin CHOSE basketball after playing AAU basketball, and make him a qb if he was worried about politics. Vincent Thomas led us to a undefeated semi-final game where a too much talented Nashville Pearl-Cohn squad that had John Henderson and 2 other players ( Buck Fitzgerald and Reggie Ridley) who signed with Tennesee and Santiono Beard who went to Alabama. John Bolan was an African American qb and a good one and with Rashad Taylor back for his 3rd year and the possiblilty of another run deep into the playoffs, I don't see Counce starting "Hunter Hart" because his greadgrandfather was mayor. Bill Revill has been Mayor for the past 26 years, David Lanier 8 before that and Counce was going to lose a game because Hunter Harts' greatgrandfather was the town mayor? I don't buy that one. Dye was the better qb. And he did lead a fearce comeback, but if the truth is Melrose had too much talent that night. Two future NFL's on the field while we might have put a kid in UT-martin or Lambuth. Brian Brown maybe a good man, I don't know the guy. Just didn't like his coaching . Nothing personal. But remember this: Whoever they bring in will be a proven winner. I see no "in crowd" that is playing basketball. If they are who are they? And I think alot of times kids take a bad lesson from today's athletes. It's not all about me, me, em. its' about winning. (Look at the Liberty team and take notes, they weren't the most TALENTED but had the Best TEAM) And if they bring in a Rudisell or a Cisco the kids need to listen. Those guys didn't win state titles and put players in D-1 schools without knowing what they are doing. I myself didn't like Brian Brown's coaching style or his insistence on playing his kids before other athletes. But he's gone, I wish him well and life moves on. But whoever they bring the kids need to listen because sometimes they listen to much to their familes and friends instead of the coach. These kids whether at Dyersburg High or Dyer County need to bust their tails in the classroom and get a good education. And if they get a scholarship, don't put it in jeopardy by having a low gpa or a low ACT score. Because in all reality, most of these kids after hs will never play ball again. So get a good education, get a good job and stay out of trouble. Have fun because in a few years you are going to realize how few worries you had when you were in HS.. Man, life gets tough after you turn 18......

QUOTE(mg @ Mar 19 2007 - 04:47 PM) 826417780[/snapback]Ok everybody has ample time to post their rumors, lies and BS about dyersburg and coach brown....

time for some rebuttal or facts:

#1. kids are not leaving dyersburg in droves to attend dc.......I for one had been preaching that they have been and when I looked at the enrollment for 2006-2007, I was shocked..... this is a perception that I and many others have had......here is the truth....dyersburg has about 972 students enrolled........ prior to the 2003 gentlemens agreement that keeps dyersburg from talking to 3 oaks middle school student, dyersburg had an enrollment of 1050 students..... the students dhs has lost in most part are the 3 oaks kids......

#2. when I moved here in the 80's, I heard a lot of people talking about DHS being political in sports.....and I think that was true from what I saw......but in the 90's, that all changed......the new coaches played who they thought was the best, regardless of race, money, church and politics..... end of argument.....

#3. regarding hart vs dye......i know exactly why coach counce did what he did....it had nothing to do with anything other than a starting senior qb returning and to take the place of the soph who had filled in......that is all........if he had played dye vs melrose for all 4 quarters would we have beat melrose? if a frog had wings it would not bump its a.r.s.e. every time it hops...

#4. dyersburg high school has an unquestionable reputation in academics........the number of and value of scholarships is higher than most schools in tennessee......

#5. for those who think coach brown cannot coach......his record speaks for itself....not many coaches in tennessee have over 400 wins..... now this does not make coach brown perfect......no......he had his downfalls.....and then there was the DREADED COACHES WORST NIGHTMARE......PLAYING YOUR OWN CHILDREN...........

#6. coach brown is my friend and is a good man off the court.......i will continue to stand by him...he made the right decision for his family and the program......

#7. Yes, in my opinion the administration at dyersburg high school has the perception of having their head buried in the sand.......but i do believe that based on the large number of recent phone calls to the central office (not about brown) a movement is starting and has caused some closed eyes to open.....this hopefully will change some attitudes....if it does, then brighter days are ahead.

#8. dhs and dc need to support each other when they are not playing each other.......same needs to be said about the administrations.......

#9. dhs is not the rome that is burning down like many think......remember academics is first and dhs has that part nailed down.....

#10. i spoke with the AD today and was pleasantly surprised at the number of applicants and the quality: even more surprised at the number of applicants who have won state championships in tennessee, missouri and illinois....

#11. congrats to dc on a stellar season.....what a turn around in one short year........better enjoy it while you can cause baseball is here and football is in the near future:)

#12. coach barbee is what he is cause i made him that way.......he learned everything about basketball from me and joe north and his little cracker buddy at bartlett...just kidding preston......i don't want you getting mad and kicking the door in on my hummer.....(remember the jennie bell league and your sisters car door?)

QUOTE(StevieRayVol @ Mar 18 2007 - 12:36 AM) 826416013[/snapback]The Basketball team is divided AS OF RIGHT NOW. Some players transferred and it showed what an awful coach Brown is. A fellow by the name of Ronnie Mitchell who son I believe is the one who had a confrontation with Brown wrote a letter to the State Gazette about Brown. My hat's off to Mr. Mitchell. I don't know him personally but I read his article and he pointed out what was going on and was man enough to sign his name. But Brown is out. HE WAS THE CRAZY MESS. Cut of the head and the snake will die. A new coach will be hired shortly. And money talks,,,,,, If they offer Rudisell or Cisco enough money they will come.

Is there an update?

Announcements