1A State Tournament

The most glaring thing I noticed while listening to the games today was the lack of quality play....Nobody shot the ball well and free throw shooting was awful,nobody took care of the ball well......

Nobody today really stood out...The only impressive stretch of the day was a 25-6 run by Humboldt in their game with Wartburg.....You have Culleoka scoring 55 points and Temple scoring 47...AND WINNING.....I don't want to hear it was awesome defense,because it wasn't....

I think you can attribute this to the fact the tournament had FIVE teams that came into the tournament unranked....Two of the top three teams are sitting at home...Union City #1(30-4) and Lake County #3(26-7)...You have University ( 27-9 )and Grace Christian (30-3) also sitting at home..I know,I know those teams lost,yada,yada,yada....But what you have left are teams that are not really state tournament material....Case in point Cloudland...Two straight visits to the dance and have lost by a combined 132-73 score..

The favorites after the first day's action I would have to say would be Culleoka and Humboldt...Neither can say they lit the court up today and impressed anyone,but they did play better than anyone else......

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 14 2007 - 06:51 PM) 826411905[/snapback]The most glaring thing I noticed while listening to the games today was the lack of quality play....Nobody shot the ball well and free throw shooting was awful,nobody took care of the ball well......

Nobody today really stood out...The only impressive stretch of the day was a 25-6 run by Humboldt in their game with Wartburg.....You have Culleoka scoring 55 points and Temple scoring 47...AND WINNING.....I don't want to hear it was awesome defense,because it wasn't....

I think you can attribute this to the fact the tournament had FIVE teams that came into the tournament unranked....Two of the top three teams are sitting at home...Union City #1(30-4) and Lake County #3(26-7)...You have University ( 27-9 )and Grace Christian (30-3) also sitting at home..I know,I know those teams lost,yada,yada,yada....But what you have left are teams that are not really state tournament material....Case in point Cloudland...Two straight visits to the dance and have lost by a combined 132-73 score..

The favorites after the first day's action I would have to say would be Culleoka and Humboldt...Neither can say they lit the court up today and impressed anyone,but they did play better than anyone else......

That's a lot of info for someone who wasn't there. You got all this from the radio or on-line?

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 14 2007 - 06:51 PM) 826411905[/snapback]The most glaring thing I noticed while listening to the games today was the lack of quality play....Nobody shot the ball well and free throw shooting was awful,nobody took care of the ball well......

Pretty good assessment. The four teams who won played well enough to win. I was probably more impressed with CSAS than anyone, but that's because of my expectations. Humboldt will be hard to handle if they rebound like they did today. Temple will play better than they did today. They will definitely shoot the ball better. Cully will face a stiffer test than they did on day one. As far as the first round losers, I was impressed with the way Wartburg played. They looked like the best of the first round losers. If that is the case, that would give Humboldt a bit of an edge on the others. I believe all four teams will play better on Friday. They will be confident, have the jitters out and be more comfortable with the surroundings. It should be a fun Friday morning!

After seeing the games on Wednesday and from what I know of the teams still in it, the Temple/Humboldt game will probably be the "championship" game of the tournament. It's just too bad that they have to meet in the second game of the tournament. CSAS had a pretty good game today, and I know that Temple may not have impressed too many people last night ; but I can assure you that Temple is the better team of the two. As for Culleoka, they were an ok team but if CSAS plays like they did against Westside they should get the win and advance to the championship game on Saturday. As a Chattanoogan, who'd a thunk it? Good luck to my fellow competitors from Chattanooga. Bring another g-ball to Chat-town!

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 14 2007 - 07:51 PM) 826411905[/snapback]The most glaring thing I noticed while listening to the games today was the lack of quality play....Nobody shot the ball well and free throw shooting was awful,nobody took care of the ball well......

As I posted on another thread, those of us who have watched Temple play this year knows the game against EL was not a very impressive game by the Crusaders. I guess if you cause the other team to turn the ball over 27 times it would not be considered "awesome defense". But regardless of that stat, I'll be the first to admit that Temple just didn't have it on the offensive side of the ball tonight (shooting only 31% from the field), but I believe it will be much better in Friday's contest against Humboldt. It should be a pretty good game.

QUOTE(Mr knowitall @ Mar 14 2007 - 09:11 PM) 826412088[/snapback]That's a lot of info for someone who wasn't there. You got all this from the radio or on-line?

It doesn't take being there to tell when when a team clanks a free throw or misses three after three after three or turns the ball over all game long...And when the radio guy says more than once in every game,"Not very good basketball being played out there"..What are you suppose to think.....I'll be there Friday....Then I will be able to say"I was there".....

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 14 2007 - 05:51 PM) 826411905[/snapback]The most glaring thing I noticed while listening to the games today was the lack of quality play....Nobody shot the ball well and free throw shooting was awful,nobody took care of the ball well......

It is amazing to me that you could not be there and make the statements that you do... you say that you don't want to hear that it was awesome defense, cause it wasn't?? you are basing your entire statements and opinions based some old fart's, OPINIONS, and I doubt he really understands the game of basketball... at a very high level....

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 14 2007 - 05:51 PM) 826411905[/snapback]The most glaring thing I noticed while listening to the games today was the lack of quality play....Nobody shot the ball well and free throw shooting was awful,nobody took care of the ball well......

that's funny that no one shot well yet CSAS was like 21-23 from the line and shot close to if not over 50% from the field they scored 62 points without hitting a shot fom outside of 15 feet, as a matter of fact they only shot 4 threes(0-4) with one of them being a half court heave at the end of the 1st half. Now I am not saying that they will win but use some common sense here really what team looked impressive for 4 quarters last night(NONE) nationally ranked Liberty didnt even play a full 4 quarters how about we chalk up yesterday's results to opening day jitters.

since you want to talk about rankings and all I hope you realize that state ranked Humboldt was 14-34 from the freethrow line tahts not impressive I guess they shouldnt be playing in the tournament.

In order for you to be state tournament material you have to be there what is the criteria for being state tournmant material being loaded with talent and winning a bunch of regular season games or winning the games that matter most to get there

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Mar 15 2007 - 12:38 PM) 826412951[/snapback]that's funny that no one shot well yet CSAS was like 21-23 from the line and shot close to if not over 50% from the field they scored 62 points without hitting a shot fom outside of 15 feet, as a matter of fact they only shot 4 threes(0-4) with one of them being a half court heave at the end of the 1st half. Now I am not saying that they will win but use some common sense here really what team looked impressive for 4 quarters last night(NONE) nationally ranked Liberty didnt even play a full 4 quarters how about we chalk up yesterday's results to opening day jitters.

since you want to talk about rankings and all I hope you realize that state ranked Humboldt was 14-34 from the freethrow line tahts not impressive I guess they shouldnt be playing in the tournament.

In order for you to be state tournament material you have to be there what is the criteria for being state tournmant material being loaded with talent and winning a bunch of regular season games or winning the games that matter most to get there

im glad you base your opinion on humboldt for their freethrow shooting in one game...and then say that they shouldn't be in the tournament...yea...we were 14-34 from the freethrow line...still had more points than you did...as a matter of fact, out of all of the game played yesterday including 2A...humboldt had the 2nd most points score in the whole tournament (4 less than liberty...also from the west /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) and that was humboldt's off night...wait until you see them when they are on which will be friday against temple since they have that amazing D...im going to go ahead and change my prediciton...Humboldt 83 Temple 59...put that in your pipe and smoke it!

QUOTE(frankieD12 @ Mar 15 2007 - 03:38 PM) 826413159[/snapback]im glad you base your opinion on humboldt for their freethrow shooting in one game...and then say that they shouldn't be in the tournament...yea...we were 14-34 from the freethrow line...still had more points than you did...as a matter of fact, out of all of the game played yesterday including 2A...humboldt had the 2nd most points score in the whole tournament (4 less than liberty...also from the west /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) and that was humboldt's off night...wait until you see them when they are on which will be friday against temple since they have that amazing D...im going to go ahead and change my prediciton...Humboldt 83 Temple 59...put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Man, frankie d! You are feeling confident today! I hope that is the score but I am going to stick with my prediction: Humbodlt 68 Temple 58.