TSSAA Makes changes

pedo_29

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Mar 17 2007 - 08:04 PM) 826415616[/snapback]If you really think coaches don't discourage kids from playing other sports, you are very naive. It happens all the time, I know for a fact it has happened at our school with basketball players who also wanted to play baseball or football, but were talked out of it by the basketball coach, who, incidentally, is one of those who makes the kids practice year-round.

i agree. when my brother was in high school he played lacrosse. there were a few players on the team that also played football. they quit lacrosse because their football coach said if they played lacrosse they wouldnt play football. but there are some coaches who do want their players to play other sports because it can help condition them for the other sport. lets say a football player wants to play soccer. soccer can help make him faster for next year in football which in turn can make him better. coaches both discourage and incourage their players to play other sports.

i think this whole thing is ridiculous. the fact that they took away practice time is ridiculous.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing in the 50% rule tells you how many teams you can have. IF team A has 15 players and Team B has 15 players. They can combine and have 3 teams with 5 players from each team on them. I believe as close as the coaches in West Tn are they would go for this in Fall Ball.

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Mar 17 2007 - 08:04 PM) 826415616[/snapback]If you really think coaches don't discourage kids from playing other sports, you are very naive. It happens all the time, I know for a fact it has happened at our school with basketball players who also wanted to play baseball or football, but were talked out of it by the basketball coach, who, incidentally, is one of those who makes the kids practice year-round.

I understand what you are saying, My kids play more than one sport and I personally have not had that problem. I know all coaches would like for them to play and concertrate on one sport but the coaches that we have had have not discouraged them from playing other sports. They have both been starters so I guess we are lucky to have the coaches that we have.

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Mar 17 2007 - 08:52 PM) 826415758[/snapback]I just want to add a few points on this..first i KNOW my son WILL NOT play in college...I KNOW my son IS NOT A GREAT player however ...my son WANTS to play baseball there were time he was frustrated and wanted to quit sure but he did not quit and he kept working hard to get on the feild...what this rule does is it helps your hitting coaches and club ks and place like that because now that is where those kids will have to go and those with money will do so and those without money wont so those with money will get better and those without money will fall by the wayside they wont get any help from coaches because it is ILLEGAL so we have built these indoor facilities to help build a PROGRAM instead of a team and now it is a problem.

As far as spening time with parents ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!! more parents are at that game watching their kids play. now if the kid wasnt playing where would that kid be then ?...hmmmmm hangin out at home with mom and dad or going out with freinds getting into potential trouble? I think we all know the honest answer to that. while playing sports they have time to be kids but at the same time they need to learn responsebilities i learned it by working 40 hours a week at HARDEES i hope my son has learned it by playing the game of BASEBALL

as far as playing more than 1 sport...if you think coaches will stop wanting their kids to only play their sport then you are crazy this rule will not change that. some coaches dont care and some coaches do and the rule wont change their feelings in anyway

Good post! You are absolutely right about everything you said.

QUOTE(Legends @ Mar 23 2007 - 08:23 AM) 826420941[/snapback]I understand what you are saying, My kids play more than one sport and I personally have not had that problem. I know all coaches would like for them to play and concertrate on one sport but the coaches that we have had have not discouraged them from playing other sports. They have both been starters so I guess we are lucky to have the coaches that we have.

You are very lucky. Maybe it doesn't happen everywhere, but it is still very common.