Tyner Boys Basketball Program

QUOTE(modincus @ Mar 28 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826425012[/snapback]proves his point. it was the players. leroy would be right for some schools but not tyner.

I dont think so!! I think he would be a perfect fit for Tyner. He won at City, and he won at Howard. He just had to many discipline problems. Trust me Leroy would be fine at Tyner, If not him then who. Im sure Tyner would love to have him because When he coached at City Tyner didnt beat them and when he coached Howard Tyner didnt beat them so be it.

Leroy for President!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(t-mac @ Mar 28 2007 - 04:38 PM) 826425057[/snapback]I dont think so!! I think he would be a perfect fit for Tyner. He won at City, and he won at Howard. He just had to many discipline problems. Trust me Leroy would be fine at Tyner, If not him then who. Im sure Tyner would love to have him because When he coached at City Tyner didnt beat them and when he coached Howard Tyner didnt beat them so be it.

Leroy for President!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

you are proving my point he won in the regular season at City and Howard i believe he took Howard to the state once. He all of that talent and cant get past the 1st round of the state, you say he didnt win because he had too many discipline problems... that's another reason he is not a good coach if you cant instill discipline in your program you dont need to be coaching

Point taken. But, its not like people are going to be lined up around the block for this job. Tyner doesnt have a discipline problem, so he would fit in well. Think about this if they gave Ashford a chance then why not Higgins. I am a die hard hustlintiger and the people who have read my post know that. But I feel that athletically and on paper, TYNER had the best team in the city this year. I think Higgins would have beat a lot of teams this year. He took Howard to the state twice I think but he only coached at howard for 4 years. But I think SirLee should have won a state championship before he left Howard. THey had the teams to do it. But in a tournament situation anybody can be beat by anybody. I dont know if City went or not but if they didnt then that is a shame

QUOTE(t-mac @ Mar 28 2007 - 06:15 PM) 826425182[/snapback]Point taken. But, its not like people are going to be lined up around the block for this job. Tyner doesnt have a discipline problem, so he would fit in well. Think about this if they gave Ashford a chance then why not Higgins. I am a die hard hustlintiger and the people who have read my post know that. But I feel that athletically and on paper, TYNER had the best team in the city this year. I think Higgins would have beat a lot of teams this year. He took Howard to the state twice I think but he only coached at howard for 4 years. But I think SirLee should have won a state championship before he left Howard. THey had the teams to do it. But in a tournament situation anybody can be beat by anybody. I dont know if City went or not but if they didnt then that is a shame

No Leroy never took City to the state I guess you are right it is more appealing to caoch at Tyner than it is 21st century, I dont know who else is being looked at for the job so cant say where to rank Leroy among the candidates I was just sayign he wouldnt be the 1st name to come to mind are there any young up and coming coaches in the Chattanooga area, I can only think of one but I am sure he is not going to try to go coach at Tyner

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Mar 29 2007 - 06:40 AM) 826425558[/snapback]No Leroy never took City to the state I guess you are right it is more appealing to caoch at Tyner than it is 21st century, I dont know who else is being looked at for the job so cant say where to rank Leroy among the candidates I was just sayign he wouldnt be the 1st name to come to mind are there any young up and coming coaches in the Chattanooga area, I can only think of one but I am sure he is not going to try to go coach at Tyner

can anyone tell me why leroy no longer coaches at howard? i agree with another poster that higgins in no fit for the academy.

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Mar 29 2007 - 06:40 AM) 826425558[/snapback]No Leroy never took City to the state I guess you are right it is more appealing to caoch at Tyner than it is 21st century, I dont know who else is being looked at for the job so cant say where to rank Leroy among the candidates I was just sayign he wouldnt be the 1st name to come to mind are there any young up and coming coaches in the Chattanooga area, I can only think of one but I am sure he is not going to try to go coach at Tyner

Thats what Im saying, no one else wants this job. Leroy left howard because he couldnt handle the pressure from the fans. We do have the worst fans in the city, but they are also the most loyal. There would be games people would throw things at Leroy and curse him. One time he quit on the team cause he couldnt handle the pressure but he came back and at the end of the season Moose came along. Leroy is not tough enough to coach howard. Bowles was before him and he was very tough and argued back with the fans and didnt care what they said. Frank Jones could have been the guy to lead them to a state championship but left to be principal at brainerd high he led them to the state in just 2 years. He is a very respectable man and the fans loved him. I was MAD when he left but he got a higher paying job. Leroy came after him and people just never took to him

I am sure there are some good coaches out there that would be interested in this job. It is a magnet school, so there would not be as many discipline problems. Leroy is a very good coach who has coached some very good players. Could he win at Tyner? Without a doubt! As far as Tyner not beating him when he was at City, I am pretty sure they did the first year Dillard came back. That year Tyner went to the State Tournament, '96-'97, after hosting a Sub-State game. That team was very good with Kevin Cal, Rory Hinton, Anthony Jones, Gary Long, etc. That was the same year the lost in the State Finals to Melrose in football. They had some great athletes at that time. Not sure what they have now, but they have had some great ones come through there.

QUOTE(fbcoach4 @ Mar 30 2007 - 08:58 AM) 826426389[/snapback]I am sure there are some good coaches out there that would be interested in this job. It is a magnet school, so there would not be as many discipline problems. Leroy is a very good coach who has coached some very good players. Could he win at Tyner? Without a doubt! As far as Tyner not beating him when he was at City, I am pretty sure they did the first year Dillard came back. That year Tyner went to the State Tournament, '96-'97, after hosting a Sub-State game. That team was very good with Kevin Cal, Rory Hinton, Anthony Jones, Gary Long, etc. That was the same year the lost in the State Finals to Melrose in football. They had some great athletes at that time. Not sure what they have now, but they have had some great ones come through there.

dillard took a team built by someone else. everyone in chattanooga knows that. gotta say one thing about old "jimmie d" he is a wonderful opportunist. leroy is ok. tyner is a good school now with a better principal and discipline. lets hope they get the best person out there.

QUOTE(fbcoach4 @ Mar 30 2007 - 07:58 AM) 826426389[/snapback]I am sure there are some good coaches out there that would be interested in this job. It is a magnet school, so there would not be as many discipline problems. Leroy is a very good coach who has coached some very good players. Could he win at Tyner? Without a doubt! As far as Tyner not beating him when he was at City, I am pretty sure they did the first year Dillard came back. That year Tyner went to the State Tournament, '96-'97, after hosting a Sub-State game. That team was very good with Kevin Cal, Rory Hinton, Anthony Jones, Gary Long, etc. That was the same year the lost in the State Finals to Melrose in football. They had some great athletes at that time. Not sure what they have now, but they have had some great ones come through there.

The year they lost to melrose in the state finals was Rory Hinton and Anthony Jones junior year. That means that that was the year when City had Idris Harper, Travis Glover, Tony Brown, Steveland Sills. You are going to have to prove that one to me. Yes Cal and Long were good basketball players but Hinton and Jones!!!!! You got to be kidding me. Brainerd and City were the only teams that had good teams that year along with Baylor. I am going to have to check TSSAA to see if tyner went to the state in 96-97 because I dont recall that one. But I will give you Cal and Long. And AJ was a great receiver but Hinton, is like Jake at Red Bank, surrounded by alot of talent.

Alot of those kids on the 96'-97' team played JV the year before as freshman and sophomores. Long, Dickerson, Strickland, Snowbird, etc. were that JV team and went 14-2 with the only losses coming to Brainerd. Cal did not even play that year. AJ, McCutchison, and Hinton were really the only ones that played varsity for Thompson in 95'-96. Thompson did a good job with fundamentals, but I also think he had alot more talent than did Dillard and achieved less. Dillard probably did reap from the past development, but that usually always happens at any level. I Still feel like whoever gets this job could build a great program. Good luck in the search!

QUOTE(fbcoach4 @ Mar 30 2007 - 12:16 PM) 826426572[/snapback]Alot of those kids on the 96'-97' team played JV the year before as freshman and sophomores. Long, Dickerson, Strickland, Snowbird, etc. were that JV team and went 14-2 with the only losses coming to Brainerd. Cal did not even play that year. AJ, McCutchison, and Hinton were really the only ones that played varsity for Thompson in 95'-96. Thompson did a good job with fundamentals, but I also think he had alot more talent than did Dillard and achieved less. Dillard probably did reap from the past development, but that usually always happens at any level. I Still feel like whoever gets this job could build a great program. Good luck in the search!

forget about stuff that is ancient history. let's deal with the present. has coach thompson or dillard or higgins or anyone else officially applied for this job?

QUOTE(fbcoach4 @ Mar 30 2007 - 11:16 AM) 826426572[/snapback]Alot of those kids on the 96'-97' team played JV the year before as freshman and sophomores. Long, Dickerson, Strickland, Snowbird, etc. were that JV team and went 14-2 with the only losses coming to Brainerd. Cal did not even play that year. AJ, McCutchison, and Hinton were really the only ones that played varsity for Thompson in 95'-96. Thompson did a good job with fundamentals, but I also think he had alot more talent than did Dillard and achieved less. Dillard probably did reap from the past development, but that usually always happens at any level. I Still feel like whoever gets this job could build a great program. Good luck in the search!

I remember Long, Dickerson, and Snowbird from middle school. Goodlow was the best player on that team but he dropped out. I remember when they played Alton Park for the championship and lost. In fact they lost to AP 3 times that year unfortunately no one from that alton park team played for bowles that next year and McCallie came to bowles the next year and became a 4 year starter at point guard. Thats probably why Tyner went 14-2