50% Rule & Summer Baseball

BBC

QUOTE(BBC @ Apr 4 2007 - 12:35 PM) 826429805[/snapback]tkeballer, I am glad you have had success, sounds like you are doing some things right. I do have a couple of questions for you and these may not be issues to you know.

1. Do you mandate that your players must play for you in the summer in order to play in the spring?

2. If you have a player talented enough to play for an elite level team with good to great instruction can he play for the elite and not your summer team?

3. If your school team is playing and a scout has the opportunity to see you play, given the talent level of the players you have, or he can see a travel team play with 10-15 DI talents and 2 - 5 draftable players who will the coach or scout go and watch?

It is all about the biggest bag for the buck. If I can go to a game in the summer and see 10-15 talented players in 1 location versus seeing 2-3 players at another location, the choice is easy. Unless one of those 2-3 players is 6'4" throwing 90-94 and preferably left handed. I fully understand the scout team concept. I guess my problem is that many, NOT ALL, HS coaches are limited in their ability to develop players for the next level. I think it should be left up to the parents and the player to decide what is best, but in my experience the HS coach squezzes the kid to play with him.

1. yes it is mandatory, i present them with team rules on the first team meeting of the year and one of the rules is you must play summer baseball.

2. I will allow and want them to play for elite teams but down here they do both because everyone plays high school summer league during the week and scout team or AAU on the weekend. If there was a team that traveled all summer and gave them more opportunity then i would be all for it, but like i said down here everyone that is extremely talented only plays wekend tournaments

3. I agree with your point but how many of those teams exist in tennessee, especially middle tennessee. One maybe in middle maybe 3 in the state. I have done alot of travel team tournaments and with exception of maybe a dulins team or some of the late 90's tigers have i ever in tennessee team with 10-15 d1 and multiple draft picks. If there have been some I would love to hear about them.

I think other states such as florida (i know what the year round weather thing) do it better and some high school coaches have taken it upon themselves to find a better way. I dont want the TSSAA to take that opportuinty away from the hard working coaches. I feel like the new rules are attempting to handcuff the ones out working everyone and help the ones who go fishing all summer.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tkeballer @ Apr 4 2007 - 01:49 PM) 826429890[/snapback]1. yes it is mandatory, i present them with team rules on the first team meeting of the year and one of the rules is you must play summer baseball.

2. I will allow and want them to play for elite teams but down here they do both because everyone plays high school summer league during the week and scout team or AAU on the weekend. If there was a team that traveled all summer and gave them more opportunity then i would be all for it, but like i said down here everyone that is extremely talented only plays wekend tournaments

3. I agree with your point but how many of those teams exist in tennessee, especially middle tennessee. One maybe in middle maybe 3 in the state. I have done alot of travel team tournaments and with exception of maybe a dulins team or some of the late 90's tigers have i ever in tennessee team with 10-15 d1 and multiple draft picks. If there have been some I would love to hear about them.

I think other states such as florida (i know what the year round weather thing) do it better and some high school coaches have taken it upon themselves to find a better way. I dont want the TSSAA to take that opportuinty away from the hard working coaches. I feel like the new rules are attempting to handcuff the ones out working everyone and help the ones who go fishing all summer.

We can talk all we want about this issue but it is a done deal. The key now is for the high school coach to place his players on teams where they can get the number of good repetitions to improve their game. The 50/50 rule has been used in Alabama for several years and they have made it work. Change is never easy for anyone!

QUOTE(cbg @ Apr 4 2007 - 01:44 PM) 826429964[/snapback]We can talk all we want about this issue but it is a done deal. The key now is for the high school coach to place his players on teams where they can get the number of good repetitions to improve their game. The 50/50 rule has been used in Alabama for several years and they have made it work. Change is never easy for anyone!

what have been some of the true benefits of this rule and what is gained by the schools and the kids what are the advantages

QUOTE(tkeballer @ Apr 4 2007 - 01:49 PM) 826429890[/snapback]1. yes it is mandatory, i present them with team rules on the first team meeting of the year and one of the rules is you must play summer baseball.

One last thing then I'm done. Dual participation is very dangerous especially for pitchers who gets to use the arm? Who is in control of the number of pitches thrown during a week, the summer, etc..?