Church v. baseball

ut18vols

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can't really blame anyone for choosing church over baseball. It's going to be with them much longer than the game ever will. It's one of those touchy situations where a coach can't really pressure a kid to miss it.

Besides, just gives a chance to give someone else a look

I remember when I was in high school, there was a kid who told our coach he couldn't play Wednesdays because of church, which to me was pushing it a bit, but hey, what can you say

I think it depends on where you are in your relationship with God and where you want to be. When it comes to skipping baseball for God/Church, if you truely claim to be a man of God then there would be no thought in your decision. As a christian I feel like Sunday church is when God is saying to me,"Hey just give me 1-2 hours of your time and make it just for me, if I can't give him that then what can i give him? If i cant give him that then I would see myself just like the young and rich ruler who has all this stuff but won't give it up for the one who gave him the riches in the first place. So, as I believe, God gave me the ability to play ball so why can't i sacrafice something for him. I choose and have chosen church and will always, no matter how much I love baseball.

Phillipians 3:14 "I press on toward the goal for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

I can not believe this is even an issue! God Should be the center of your life, without a doubt. When we choose baseball over God we are making that our idol. I would not want to be responsible for players, coaches, and fans having to choose baseball over church. Just remember-without God there is no Baseball. Oh and by the way-this past Sunday was Palm Sunday!

Everyone is different. Some families feel that if they don't attend their personal church of faith or attend the service they would attend on a normal Sunday that it is wrong at that is ok with me. However, some will attend on Saturday evening, early Sunday morning or late Sunday evening. Any family that has every participated in travel baseball knows that it is often a challange to make Sunday services, especially if you are out of town but it can be done. All college a professional teams will have a service for the players & coaching staff early Sunday morning so that it fits their teams schedule.

I will give you two thoughts:

1. If Jesus gave everything for us-then we can up something for him!!!

2. How are you going to argue with this? From the Ten Commandments----You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

QUOTE(GoOwls314 @ Apr 2 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826428228[/snapback]I think it depends on where you are in your relationship with God and where you want to be. When it comes to skipping baseball for God/Church, if you truely claim to be a man of God then there would be no thought in your decision. As a christian I feel like Sunday church is when God is saying to me,"Hey just give me 1-2 hours of your time and make it just for me, if I can't give him that then what can i give him? If i cant give him that then I would see myself just like the young and rich ruler who has all this stuff but won't give it up for the one who gave him the riches in the first place. So, as I believe, God gave me the ability to play ball so why can't i sacrafice something for him. I choose and have chosen church and will always, no matter how much I love baseball.

Phillipians 3:14 "I press on toward the goal for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Well said.

I guess it depends on whether there has to be a building and an ordained minister for one to be close to God. Personally, I feel closer to God in the turkey woods on a beautiful Spring Sunday morning than I do with a bunch of stuffed shirts that are in the building to keep up appearances and keep track of who's there and who isn't. It's pretty hypocritical to think that there has to be a building or a trained preacher to have a relationship with God in my opinion. To each his own.

As far as baseball goes, I think whenever possible, that Sunday games should be between services. When it's not possible, I think a generic type devotional is appropriate. All baseball players aren't of the same faith are they? Truly, God should be recognized in what we do every day of the week. God makes every day possible. Not just Sundays.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 2 2007 - 03:24 PM) 826428316[/snapback]I guess it depends on whether there has to be a building and an ordained minister for one to be close to God. Personally, I feel closer to God in the turkey woods on a beautiful Spring Sunday morning than I do with a bunch of stuffed shirts that are in the building to keep up appearances and keep track of who's there and who isn't. It's pretty hypocritical to think that there has to be a building or a trained preacher to have a relationship with God in my opinion. To each his own.

As far as baseball goes, I think whenever possible, that Sunday games should be between services. When it's not possible, I think a generic type devotional is appropriate. All baseball players aren't of the same faith are they? Truly, God should be recognized in what we do every day of the week. God makes every day possible. Not just Sundays.

well put. I do agree that every moment and everyday we should be living for God. But church, to me is a time where I am reminded what I am living for. I dont go to church so that people see me there, I go so that I might learn something new that I never realized in myself before. And learning something that i can do to change myself to be a better person and help me to press on towards that goal, is worth a baseball game to me.

I also want to say that I really like the idea of a devo before a game to whoever on the team wants to come.

the church i attend has services on sat eve. early sun, late sun, and sun eve. Its made easy to attend sometime!

Also if one can attend church and then go out and showcase his God-given talent why not? It seems like a great way to honor God.

Maybe next year local churches could get involved and invite teams to come to services. Maybe schedule games later in the day? Many churches have Associate or assistant pastors, invite them to lead a mini service for the teams.