Church v. baseball

ut18vols

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 3 2007 - 07:41 PM) 826429224[/snapback]was it not a "showcase" when he turned water into wine, brought lazerus from the dead, let the deaf hear, the blind see?

But not all churches meet on wednesdays. the church i attend has some form of group meetings every day.

I wasn't dismissing the need for church on sundays or wednesdays, rather giving another option besides the simple yes and no stances that many have taken. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

None of those were public showcases. Lazerus was his friend he brought back to life, but he didn't gather a hugh crowd so they could see him do it. healing people was done spontaniously, at the moment one on one. No come to this staduim and I will heal everyone. The water into wine still confuses me. I believe it was for a wedding or some celebration, but again I don't think he gathered a crowd so they could see him do it.

But in general if you sign up for something like the Warrior Classic which has Sunday scheduled then you should be prepared to play. But the coach should also be prepared to let the players that don't believe they should miss Church go without fear of reprisal. Thats something no one has mentioned here. I would say most of the teams who sign up for the Warrior Classic don't expect to be playing on Sunday.

I really don't see how a Class A team like Cascade or Forrest could play Sunday for lack of depth at pitching. Last year Forrest played in the Loretto Tournament and they ran out of pitching before the semi final. They played Loretto in the semi, let the JV play and pitched the starting left fielder (senior) Starting 3rd baseman (senior) both had not pitched in years and I believe a freshman (can't remember). Marshall County AA made it to the final and went home. No pitching left. Everybody had district games and you weren't going to see their #1 and #2 again.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote from earlier post:

"these so called "designated days of the Lord". A theme throughout the New Testament (especially Galatians) is to stay away from the legalism of Judaism and to worship the Lord wholly in ..." etc etc etc

Congrats, spoken like a true anti-semite. Is Mel Gibson's dad going to throw out the first pitch at your next game?

{and people wonder how the word "christian" gets equated with the word "bigot" so often}

RESPECT THE BILL OF RIGHTS - KEEP CHURCH AND STATE SEPERATE

Foresake not the assembly of your brothers.

First let me say this. I think it is awesome that we are even having this conversation. The fact that this can be discussed in this manner is truly wonderful and a testimony to our Freedom. The statement at the top wasn't written about going to church. The early Christians fellowshipped one another daily. If you look at the deeper meaning it is more about you associating yourself with your fellow brothers/sisters. It is not about you showing up at a location and getting your ticket punched. I do think that connecting with a group of people for support purposes is wonderful and I do think that worship groups, churches are great for this. I have been around baseball for a long time and I think this is a very personal opinion. I hope in my 46 years on this earth I have come to understand a few things, one of which is, I know very little about very much. However, I do know that you can and should worship God in all you do with every breath you take and you can do it in a dugout, in church building, setting on a deer stand in the woods.

Remember: you can worship God in alot of ways in almost any place but if you don't share His story and His Son with others it will all be in vain.

As a Christian I try to do my best to let people know about the sacrafice Christ made on the Cross for us, as should all Christians because thats what Christ asked us to do. Mark 1:17 "'Come follow me,' Jesus said,"and I will make you fishers of men.'" That being said I pray everyday for the guys on my ballteam. I love them with all my heart and if I can show them what Christ has done for me then skipping church is worth it. If I could have a devotional with them instead of going to church then I would choose the devotional with them, only because I want them to see what I see and that they as well have the grace God gave me. If I have to skip church in order to help add to the church then that is what I will do. In my heart I still see that as fellowship and Church, a building is not needed for worship in this case.

QUOTE(BBC @ Apr 4 2007 - 12:58 PM) 826429823[/snapback]Foresake not the assembly of your brothers.

First let me say this. I think it is awesome that we are even having this conversation. The fact that this can be discussed in this manner is truly wonderful and a testimony to our Freedom. The statement at the top wasn't written about going to church. The early Christians fellowshipped one another daily. If you look at the deeper meaning it is more about you associating yourself with your fellow brothers/sisters. It is not about you showing up at a location and getting your ticket punched. I do think that connecting with a group of people for support purposes is wonderful and I do think that worship groups, churches are great for this. I have been around baseball for a long time and I think this is a very personal opinion. I hope in my 46 years on this earth I have come to understand a few things, one of which is, I know very little about very much. However, I do know that you can and should worship God in all you do with every breath you take and you can do it in a dugout, in church building, setting on a deer stand in the woods.

Remember: you can worship God in alot of ways in almost any place but if you don't share His story and His Son with others it will all be in vain.

Congrats...You nailed it!!!

This country was not found under Christianity. Although, having grown up on the Bible belt many of you probably think this nation was found under God. I could quote the founding fathers (or many other great minds) or quote contradictions in the Bible all day long. But most of you have been brainwashed with the strongest Christian soap there is, so it would probably not do any good. What I am trying to say is that not everyone in Tennessee is a Christian. You may think that is horrible and we can have a Bible verse battle later. The point is that there is a seperation of church and state and the ACLU will make sure that the fine line between God and school is not crossed. It is not fair or right to make a school sport schedule based on a church schedule. I would be willing to bet that you would not care if a game got scheduled on The First Day of Ramadan (an Islamic holiday) or Passover (a Jewish holiday). Those are religions of other people who are citizens of the exact same community you are. But your religion is the only one that matters, right?

QUOTE(L12 @ Apr 4 2007 - 03:09 PM) 826429922[/snapback]This country was not found under Christianity. Although, having grown up on the Bible belt many of you probably think this nation was found under God. I could quote the founding fathers (or many other great minds) or quote contradictions in the Bible all day long. But most of you have been brainwashed with the strongest Christian soap there is, so it would probably not do any good. What I am trying to say is that not everyone in Tennessee is a Christian. You may think that is horrible and we can have a Bible verse battle later. The point is that there is a seperation of church and state and the ACLU will make sure that the fine line between God and school is not crossed. It is not fair or right to make a school sport schedule based on a church schedule. I would be willing to bet that you would not care if a game got scheduled on The First Day of Ramadan (an Islamic holiday) or Passover (a Jewish holiday). Those are religions of other people who are citizens of the exact same community you are. But your religion is the only one that matters, right?

I will say that I have encountered many close minded Christians during my walk, but I will tell you I am probably the most open Christian you will ever meet. 2 of my best friends are not Christian. One is Hindu, the other Islamic. So, no I would not say that my religion is the only one that matters. I do believe, however that Christ is the only way and if I didnt then i would not be a Christian. So, with that said, I completely respect their views and have actually eatin a Ramadan dinner with my Islamic friend. I will also say that nothing would joy me more than if one of them did come to church with me, or asked me about the bible, which has happened. I realize that there are other religions in Tennessee, but the topic is, whatever faith you are, on one of your Holy days would you play baseball or would you attend whatever your faith says you should do? In my case, i can only take a Christian view because that situation is the only one I have experienced and cannot speak for the other religions. I admire you statement, but I want you to realize that I realize there are people of different faiths.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 3 2007 - 11:33 PM) 826429425[/snapback]/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Civil rights? Playing baseball isn't a civil right or coaches would be sued every time they sat a player for any reason. I think most coaches would excuse players for church services, but I think you'd have a hard time proving any civil rights were violated if they sat a kid for missing a practice or Sunday game. Coaches discretion.

It's fairly common to leave Wednesday nights for rainouts. Sunday games are common in tournaments. Everybody on the baseball team got a schedule at the beginning of the season. That is the time to voice any objections to playing on Wednesdays or Sundays. At least the coach knows what he's facing and can make the call before the 11th hour. Personally, I would have tried to start the games at 1:00 at the earliest even if I had to find another field and pay an extra umpiring crew.

Didn't say baseball was a civil right, said freedom of religion was. And I stand by what I said in my earlier post. A coach who would sit a kid on the bench for choosing church over baseball is pretty sorry and is violating that child's rights. And I did not say Sunday games were uncommon. I said 10 am on a Sunday was uncommon. I have attended Sunday games, but they usually start at 1 or 2 pm to give people time to go to church. If our coach schedules practice on Sunday, it is usually at 2 or 3, and Wednesday practice is always over in plenty of time to get to church.

QUOTE(L12 @ Apr 4 2007 - 02:09 PM) 826429922[/snapback]This country was not found under Christianity. Although, having grown up on the Bible belt many of you probably think this nation was found under God. I could quote the founding fathers (or many other great minds) or quote contradictions in the Bible all day long. But most of you have been brainwashed with the strongest Christian soap there is, so it would probably not do any good. What I am trying to say is that not everyone in Tennessee is a Christian. You may think that is horrible and we can have a Bible verse battle later. The point is that there is a seperation of church and state and the ACLU will make sure that the fine line between God and school is not crossed. It is not fair or right to make a school sport schedule based on a church schedule. I would be willing to bet that you would not care if a game got scheduled on The First Day of Ramadan (an Islamic holiday) or Passover (a Jewish holiday). Those are religions of other people who are citizens of the exact same community you are. But your religion is the only one that matters, right?

Dear L12,

I too, fully respect your opinion and you have ever right to it, but there is one thing you stated or eluded to that I think is incorrect. You sayed this nation was not founded under Christianity or under God. If you read the constitution, the letters written by many of the founding fathers and the diaries of the first congress you will find that not only was this nation founded under God but the constitution is bathed wrapped and woven with the scriptures of the Holy Bible (the words of God). Know that said, you and anyone else who lives in this great land has the God given right to believe what ever they wish and although I may not agree with it, I fully respect your right to it. I don't think anyone was saying cancel games on Sundays. I believe the question is if a game is played at a time that your beliefs may be compromised, would you participate?

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Apr 4 2007 - 04:23 PM) 826430023[/snapback]Didn't say baseball was a civil right, said freedom of religion was. And I stand by what I said in my earlier post. A coach who would sit a kid on the bench for choosing church over baseball is pretty sorry and is violating that child's rights. And I did not say Sunday games were uncommon. I said 10 am on a Sunday was uncommon. I have attended Sunday games, but they usually start at 1 or 2 pm to give people time to go to church. If our coach schedules practice on Sunday, it is usually at 2 or 3, and Wednesday practice is always over in plenty of time to get to church.

And I said you'd have a hard time proving civil rights were violated. Kids are set on the bench all the time for missing practice or missing a sign. Even a teams best players might sit for such infractions. You'd be hard pressed to prove that the coach's intent was to violate a player's civil rights. There'd be lawsuits every time a JV guy took a starters spot.

I agree that whether or not the coach is violating civil rights there is no way to prove it. However, I dont think i would want to play for someone who did not respect my beliefs. But dont point fingers and say that the coach is being anti-(your religion here) because you are sitting the bench either.