Best QB in 2007

I saw the Hillsboro QB once last season and was quite impressed. I did not see the Smyrna QB but since he led his team to the 5A State Championship, I would assume he is a great one as well. I have heard that the Melrose QB is very talented but maybe not as polished as these two. In a rare instance, I will agree with the lowly prophet and say that hopefully we can promote our choice for best QB without feeling the need to tear someone else down. I AM THE YANKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Apr 13 2007 - 10:56 AM) 826436688[/snapback]I read that too. seems like some back peddling. I never said anything negative about the youg man you think so highly of.

No back peddling at all. I could care less of what you all think that I meant. I know what I meant I maybe it came out wrong or maybe you all are reading too much into it or whatever. I could care less.....THREAD..best QB--Answer is Sonny Gray. Good kid, all of the stats, lead his team to gold ball, etc. And by the way Gray is not my QB, just who I THINK is the best.

QUOTE(workinprogress @ Apr 13 2007 - 11:09 AM) 826436707[/snapback]No back peddling at all. I could care less of what you all think that I meant. I know what I meant I maybe it came out wrong or maybe you all are reading too much into it or whatever. I could care less.....THREAD..best QB--Answer is Sonny Gray. Good kid, all of the stats, lead his team to gold ball, etc. And by the way Gray is not my QB, just who I THINK is the best.

I have seen film of Gray and he definitely is a great QB and one of the best in the entire State. He did however lose to Riverdale what 49-0. How well did he play in that one? He beat Ravenwood for the title and the ring but he lost to them earlier in the year in a nail bitter. How well did he play in that one? I would pick Burnette from Maryville over Gray in a close race. Arent had less than great games against Overton in his first action of the year and another tough game against your boys from Antioch /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . He obviously did not play well against Maryville but the Henry County and Stratford teams will tell you that he is tremendously talented and worthy of his 06 All-State selection.

QUOTE(12NCS @ Apr 13 2007 - 12:54 PM) 826436825[/snapback]I have seen film of Gray and he definitely is a great QB and one of the best in the entire State. He did however lose to Riverdale what 49-0. How well did he play in that one? He beat Ravenwood for the title and the ring but he lost to them earlier in the year in a nail bitter. How well did he play in that one? I would pick Burnette from Maryville over Gray in a close race. Arent had less than great games against Overton in his first action of the year and another tough game against your boys from Antioch /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . He obviously did not play well against Maryville but the Henry County and Stratford teams will tell you that he is tremendously talented and worthy of his 06 All-State selection.

All very good points. I believe he did lose a few more games than Arrent.

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Apr 13 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826436832[/snapback]All very good points. I believe he did lose a few more games than Arrent.

All good points I agree. Every player has good and bad days. It just so happens that the two times that I saw him he had horrible games. I only saw gray twice and both times he played well. Neither means much to anyone except that for ME it means that all I have to go by is what I know. Im not knocking anyone or disagreeing with you NCS I am just giving an opinion based on the information that I have. Is it limited, sure, but its my opinion. Take it for what its worth. And yes NCS you are obviously right I did see Arrent last year against Maryville and also against Antioch.

Do doubt Gray is one of the top QB’s coming into his senior year and deserves all the praise possible for his play in 2006. As well, Gray is known as one of the best at throwing the small ball. He should do well this year as well but I wonder if too much pressure is being put on him to perform. There are 10 other players out on the field that he needs to perform as well.

QUOTE(12NCS @ Apr 13 2007 - 08:55 AM) 826436580[/snapback]Arent did not play his best against Maryville. Maybe the #13 ranked team in America had something to do with his performance. Arent did not start the season as the #1 QB for Hillsboro. Still, he racked up the #s and was chosen All-State. He will sign a D1 Scholly in February 08' as will Burnette from Maryville. Gray will play baseball and Mason is being recruited as a WR by most D1 schools. Mason has great tools as a QB and i'm not sure why he is not getting more college looks at QB but he just isn't. I'd be willing to bet that Arent has better numbers than your QB by the end of Hillsboro's 15 game season or the regular season. Good luck to all the mid-state QB's for 07.

I have heard that the same school that signed both the other Mason and Gupton this past year would like for Mason to come to his school and play QB in the future. That coach, BD, went on to compare Mason to another very athletic QB with a strong arm here in the Nashville area and that induvidual's initials are VY.

If you all remember VY was a strong armed QB with great athleticism coming out of high school but he lacked accuracy at times. Developing the proper timing and other mechanics will come with four years of solid coaching at the college level but in high school all QB prospects these days are loved if they have size, athleticism, and a strong arm. MASON HAS ALL THREE OF THOSE GOING FOR HIM!!!!!

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(rapbwood @ Apr 13 2007 - 04:56 PM) 826436969[/snapback]Do doubt Gray is one of the top QB’s coming into his senior year and deserves all the praise possible for his play in 2006. As well, Gray is known as one of the best at throwing the small ball. He should do well this year as well but I wonder if too much pressure is being put on him to perform. There are 10 other players out on the field that he needs to perform as well.

Rapbwood---I would say Becker will do well for your team this fall. He is a hard nosed kid and makes smart decisions. I know he is not on most people's radar probably because of his size but I think he will end up being one of the best from the midstate.

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(Big Country @ Apr 13 2007 - 06:55 PM) 826437012[/snapback]I have heard that the same school that signed both the other Mason and Gupton this past year would like for Mason to come to his school and play QB in the future. That coach, BD, went on to compare Mason to another very athletic QB with a strong arm here in the Nashville area and that induvidual's initials are VY.

If you all remember VY was a strong armed QB with great athleticism coming out of high school but he lacked accuracy at times. Developing the proper timing and other mechanics will come with four years of solid coaching at the college level but in high school all QB prospects these days are loved if they have size, athleticism, and a strong arm. MASON HAS ALL THREE OF THOSE GOING FOR HIM!!!!!

Definately agree here. I think Mason has all of the tools all he needs is time and the development of technique. A lot of raw talent here that could make for a big year.

OK, reality check time. Being a winning QB is NOT just about passes attempted and the number caught. It involves leading in all phases of the game. For instance the QB for R'dale who won the state championship for R'dale in 2004 had hardly any passes at all. Why ? Because R'dale is not known for its passing attack. It has one, but their running game allowed them to win without one. There are winning and very good QB's out there who may not have high stats for the same reason. Maryville's QB is good for ONE reason. He plays in an excellent system that has a very good and balanced attack that is backed up by a very good defense.

Yes, Sonny Gray's team got beat 49-0 by Riverdale early in the year, but it was the refusal of Sonny to go down and making a great pass in the last 2 minutes of the playoff game to beat Riverdale. Could he do it again? I don't know, but odds are he would because that is the kind of player he is. Young man plays to 'win' in ANY game he plays in.

Who will be the 'Best' this year remains to be seen. I am just going to enjoy watching them play.

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Apr 13 2007 - 09:32 AM) 826436609[/snapback]Well I know for a fact that Hillsboro tried to schedule the Bulldogs this season and were turned down so someone is not so very confident as you are.

Smyrna tried scheduling Hoover, AL at Hoover, AL. Hoover turned us down but not because they don't think they can beat us. I'd rather play the likes of Hoover anyday over Hillsboro.

QUOTE(jmu031 @ Apr 13 2007 - 10:41 PM) 826437182[/snapback]Smyrna tried scheduling Hoover, AL at Hoover, AL. Hoover turned us down but not because they don't think they can beat us. I'd rather play the likes of Hoover anyday over Hillsboro.

Last time I spoke with Coach Shadowens I asked him what weeks he had available because Cheatham Co. was looking for games to fill their schedule at the time and Smyrna had some available dates (week 3 at the time). The Cubs were looking for a week one or week two matchup. Coach Shadowens told THIS POSTER PERSONALLY that he would have loved to play Cheatham Co. if the dates would have panned out right.

Now with that having been said I am sure that a Smyrna head football coach would definately consider playing Hillsboro if he would have also considered playing Cheatham Co. Otherwise that would be like passing up a date with the captain of the cheerleading squad for a date with some fat chick in the band /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />