Best QB in 2007

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud, thanks for the kind words towards Curt. Curt was on his way to Va. Tech on Monday and was expecting a formal scholarship offer from the Hokies, but with the shootings that morning, he was unable to meet with team officials. They even tried to meet him off campus but were in lock down by the time he go to Blacksburg. He's having to reschedule that visit. Coach Carter says literally every D-1A school has contacted Curt except Southern Cal. Looks like he will have a very good oppurtunity to go wherever he wants. Most of us are expecting him to pick a school where he will have a chance to play early and that is very high in academics ie. Ga. Tech, Vandy, Duke, Va. Tech.

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Apr 20 2007 - 08:54 PM) 826442078[/snapback]Honestly the only thing I think he has that sonny doesnt is SIZE.. he is a big boy

We are not trying to burst your bubble FridayNite. Especially because Bud is the only "Kingsportian" to have seen him play. At least the only one on these threads. I cannot comment because I haven't seen Sonny play. However, you people in Middle TN respectfully have a "full house" when it comes to football schools and way up in NET we just don't seem to compete with your numbers. Sonny Gray, in all due respect, is not tall enough to be a D1A QB. They like RB's 5'8"-5'11" but they like QB's to be towering. Granted, Curt is on the bottom end of the chart as pertaining to height but he is a Michael Vick style QB and lately there's a place for that style QB in D1A. Curt will go down as being one of if not the best QB to emerge from the state of TN in years. In spite of Sonny Gray. Bud is spot-on when he says, "If Curt were in the Nashville area he would be a household name for the whole state and beyond." I look forward to a chance to see Sonny Gray play this year so I can witness his expertice.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 20 2007 - 10:49 PM) 826442180[/snapback]We are not trying to burst your bubble FridayNite. Especially because Bud is the only "Kingsportian" to have seen him play. At least the only one on these threads. I cannot comment because I haven't seen Sonny play. However, you people in Middle TN respectfully have a "full house" when it comes to football schools and way up in NET we just don't seem to compete with your numbers. Sonny Gray, in all due respect, is not tall enough to be a D1A QB. They like RB's 5'8"-5'11" but they like QB's to be towering. Granted, Curt is on the bottom end of the chart as pertaining to height but he is a Michael Vick style QB and lately there's a place for that style QB in D1A. Curt will go down as being one of if not the best QB to emerge from the state of TN in years. In spite of Sonny Gray. Bud is spot-on when he says, "If Curt were in the Nashville area he would be a household name for the whole state and beyond." I look forward to a chance to see Sonny Gray play this year so I can witness his expertice.

Has Curt won any state championships...? I watched some of his high light reels on rivals and he is pretty dang good..

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Apr 21 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826442406[/snapback]Has Curt won any state championships...? I watched some of his high light reels on rivals and he is pretty dang good..

No he hasn't. And the chances of him winning one this year are slim at best since a team from upper east TN hasn't won a state title in a very long time, but that doesn't mean he isn't the best QB in the state. I'm not saying he is though. That's hard to tell. He does have all the tools to be a big time QB though. I wish Sonny and Curt a very successful '07 campaign that is injury free. I would love nothing more than 2 TN QB's to make a name for themselves at the next level.

Sullivan South has 3 or 4 football athletes that are All-State material. Meanwhile, every school in Nashville has that and more. It's tough to get noticed up here. You have to be extraordinary. Credit Curts' Father and the South coaching staff. But most importantly, credit Curt. He has fought fiercely through injury and potentially great seasons gone bad. He has literally "taken his show on the road." While his friends are enjoying the weekend, he is taking care of business. The amazing thing is that he has not peaked yet. To achieve D1A status with every school in the country from up here in Gods' Country is a formidable task. If Curt were in a high profile metro area he would be the salavation on every football enthusiasts mouth. In your space super stars come and go. Up here it is a delicacy. Good luck to your people and to Sonny Gray and keep a heads up for NET because we're working on it. Rebel Nation.

83...the common concensus is that we don't have a line. That's on paper. Strategically speaking, our line will do just fine. We will have a couple of potential All-Staters on that line and my guess is...with the excitment in the air for the '07 season, the OL will step up to support it's General. Defense? Another question. Chris Collins will be the anchor at MLB supported by KK at corner or FS. Of course the other CB will be Sandige and possibly Charlie Columbo in the DBackfield. Ty Garvin at OLB. I'm sure they will find a spot for Fletcher just don't know where. VolMan will have to do the DL 'cause I don't have a clue. Offensive backfield is solid and with depth...Collins, Fletcher, Brad Shanks, Boobie Miles, possibly Clint Phillips. WR's are plentiful. Curt just has to mesh them. Houston Martin, Justin Zurn, KK and Spencer all have experience with Curt. Don't know the status of Crowe. Seth Watterson is the rising Soph speedster. Clint Phillips is the guy that will have the ability to play anywhere they put him. And rising Junior TJ Blanken will be versatile as well. Brad Jeffers at relief QB also has great hands in addition to being a very good QB. In summary...the offense will depend on LT Hunter Beedle. He is make it or break it. Taylor Fletcher and Chris Collins are both looking for breakout years at RB. Curt needs to find his downfield go to man. He is currently taking interviews. All in all I am optimistic...most will say it is a 60% year but I see a potentially great team. Leadership can overcome a lack of weapons by sheer inspiration. The '07 Rebels will be inspired. The official thread for NET is "The Heat is On". These West TN boys might not like us carrying on like this in a QB thread. Rebel Nation.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 20 2007 - 11:49 PM) 826442180[/snapback]We are not trying to burst your bubble FridayNite. Especially because Bud is the only "Kingsportian" to have seen him play. At least the only one on these threads. I cannot comment because I haven't seen Sonny play. However, you people in Middle TN respectfully have a "full house" when it comes to football schools and way up in NET we just don't seem to compete with your numbers. Sonny Gray, in all due respect, is not tall enough to be a D1A QB. They like RB's 5'8"-5'11" but they like QB's to be towering. Granted, Curt is on the bottom end of the chart as pertaining to height but he is a Michael Vick style QB and lately there's a place for that style QB in D1A. Curt will go down as being one of if not the best QB to emerge from the state of TN in years. In spite of Sonny Gray. Bud is spot-on when he says, "If Curt were in the Nashville area he would be a household name for the whole state and beyond." I look forward to a chance to see Sonny Gray play this year so I can witness his expertice.

honestly i have seen curt's highlights on rivals and to disagree with u he is not a michael vick type player. he reminds me of jonathan crompton when he was in high school, they have very similar highlights from high school. he is a good qb with great size but a vick he is not.

Yes, you are correct. I have said before he is in the mold of Heath Shuler...which was the mold for Crompton. However, his running abilities are far more Vick like than any other influence. No, he is not a Vick nor is he that fast but he is much faster than the Shuler/Crompton dicipline. Shuler was a straight drop back passer...with the strength of 2 linebackers. Crompton is even stronger but will run out of the pocket much quicker than Shuler. Still Crompton is a drop back passer. Curt is not a true dropback passer but will be made into one in college. Curt runs the spread much in the way Vick does...never passing up the oportunity for a 40 yard run.

QUOTE(Parrothead Vol @ Apr 22 2007 - 10:13 AM) 826442785[/snapback]Rebels' Phillips Nabs First Scholarship Offer

I am anxious to see this kid play. He sounds like a great one. I wish him success this yr and in his college quest.

You folk are right. If he were in the Middle Tn area , he would be promoted heavily. Some of the Mr Football candidates of late from here haven't really been the tops in the state. They just get the press early on.